Hauling a Motorcycle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J.mcculloch said:
Has anyone carried a 500+ pound bike for long periods of time on the back of a van in a carrier?

I have a friend who has carried a Kawasaki KLR650 on a hitch rack for many thousands of miles on the back of a Chevy Pickup. He has occasionally carried a Honda VFR 1200 and although that is a heavy bike, it has been successful so far. And I would recommend the best carrier you can find, not the cheapest. And a hitch tightener. And heavy duty straps!

For any bike above  ~300 lbs or so, I prefer a trailer.

There is a class of trailer called the 'swivel wheel' trailer that might be an option...but they are NOT cheap:

http://www.discountramps.com/swivel-wheel-trailer/p/SW-58/

Swivel wheels in action:

(short video)

(long video)

I've got the adventure build of that same platform, the NC700x. Love the bike but it's too heavy for easy loading and too heavy for confidence in the dirt. That's why I'll downsize to something lighter before going fulltime.

I just bought a SYM Wolf Classic 150. SYM is the Taiwanese company that had the contract to build the Honda CB125 back in the day. 

It rides perfectly on the Harbor Freight hitch mounted motorcycle carrier I bought for it. Carrier is rated for 400lbs. Bike is 266 wet. 

It's small and slow, but it's perfect for what I wanted. Something to make a run for groceries and do a little sightseeing on. 

The other runner up I was considering was a Suzuki VanVan. The Wolf ended up being $1600+ cheaper....

I love this thread. Elissa and I are already planning for the 2017 RTR and were just wondering about it. I have a 1999 Vstar 650 and it'd be great to bring her. (Her names Daisy) However as so many others have mentioned they are pretty heavy. I've got a big van, but they still seem heavy. We're looking around for a lightweight dualsport or a scooter that could hold a passenger so we could get stuff from town if we need it. We are also just thinking about bringing our bicycles.
What about the Suzuki Vanvan 200? I've heard good things about them and it looks like they can carry a passenger.

The VanVan is a neat little bike. I sat on one last week and it was surprisingly comfortable. It has WIDE tires though, so if you’re going to use a hitch mounted carrier, I’d make sure the rear wheel fits between the rails of the carrier.

moorejames said:
The VanVan is a neat little bike. I sat on one last week and it was surprisingly comfortable. It has WIDE tires though, so if you’re going to use a hitch mounted carrier, I’d make sure the rear wheel fits between the rails of the carrier.

Oh ya, that's a really good point. I hadn't thought of that.

moorejames said:
I just bought a SYM Wolf Classic 150. SYM is the Taiwanese company that had the contract to build the Honda CB125 back in the day. 
It's small and slow, but it's perfect for what I wanted. Something to make a run for groceries and do a little sightseeing on.

Sounds like a good fit for me.  I'll check it out; thanks!

frater secessus said:
I've got the adventure build of that same platform, the NC700x.  Love the bike but it's too heavy for easy loading and too heavy for confidence in the dirt.  That's why I'll downsize to something lighter before going fulltime.

I ride 99% dirt with mine, but try to stay out of deep sand. what tires you running on the NC?

You might consider going with a "pit bike" over the mini bike. Pit bikes don't cost much more, are just as light weight, have suspension (that's a BIG advantage), 4 gears, etc.. There are also street legal cheap small bikes for not much more.

Yah I thought about that, at 70 just don't wanna risk it especially because I have never ever used a motorcycle ever in my entire life, except a moped and a similar lawn mower doodlebug
in the late 50's., It's all about comfort level.

I found a garage to weld in some extra bits to my hitch and bought a Harbor Freight motorcycle hitch carrier. 

Found a new SYM Wolf Classic 150 to put on it. It's a 150cc motorcycle that's 266 lbs wet. Electric start (and a kickstarter) with carbs. It'll do 60 with a little persuasion. Perfect little motorcycle to throw on the back of the RV and use to make runs to the store, go out to eat, or some light local touring. 

(SYM is a Taiwanese company that had the contract back in the day to build the Honda CB125. They cranked out millions of those things. After they lost the contract, they just kept on building them, so I essentially have a slightly more modern, slightly larger version of the Honda CB125. I've lost count of the old dudes who have come up to me, wanting to check out my "restored cb125")

Is there a freeway legal version of that Modobag? Maybe something in a charcoal gray garment bag......

snarfersnarf said:
haha, I was maybe thinking about ditching the van altogether and getting one of these bad boys to tour the US on: http://modobag.com

I like to think of myself as someone open to everything and I love weird stuff. But there is no way you couldn't look like an asshole on that motorized suitcase. No one could pull that off.

Just because you have an idea doesn't make it a good idea.         :)

Just to be clear, I don't mean you, I mean the person who made a motorized suitcase.

Putts said:
TW200 won't go hwy speeds, but is a great bumper thumper...that's the bike I'll have on the rear.  The WR250R probably will go hwy speeds, but I wouldn't want to do it al lot...too twitchy with wind. DR650 is a reasonably light and capable dual sport, but quite a bit heavier. I lust for a WR250R but it won't do as well in the desert sands as the TW200.

I love the TW200's.  My buddy has one and i've probably got about 25 or so hours of seat time on it.  Certainly not the fastest bike out there but they are just a lot of fun to play around on.  If I ever carry a bike in my travels it will be one of them.  Light, fun, and capable little machine.

I have a TW200, agree they are a ton of fun. Great way to explore from base camp. I think I'm going to have to sell it though, doesn't go with my new set up. Used to tow it behind on a trailer but now I have a cargo trailer that's full. Sucks, it was fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20170705_141433_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20170705_141433_hdr.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts