Hats off to the Mods

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen said:
But those thoughts and urges are who they really are, deep down, the face presented to the world is the mask.  It all seems very Lord of the Flies, remove social stigma and people show their true colors.

If you really want to see a person, pay attention to two things: what makes them angry, and what makes them laugh. Those are two places where the deep emotions rule, and reveal what is really inside.

This is the best and most fairly moderated website that I have been on. As we can surely all see, when "politics" slips in, there is just no containing the firestorm. Staying to the "focus" of the forum should make it easy to stay within the guidelines here.

I've modded a few forums and admin'd on two, wouldn't do it again for love or money. I simply don't have the temperament for it, VERY happy that the mods here do, they are pretty danged gentle, even when folks are behaving very badly.

Good job Mods!

Folks, enough already!

I greatly fear that if our mods receive any more well-deserved approbation, they will be unable to find any hats that will still fit, and they will be forced to choose between staying inside, or courting potentially fatal sunstroke!

I'm sure no one here wants to see THAT happen! 

Well, not for most of them, anyway . . .

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
Not sure that is true; ... I think the internet lets people expose ALL of their lowest and random thoughts with ease and impunity which they can't/wouldn't do in real life---ie. everyone occasionally has thoughts/urges that are not politically correct that they don't express or follow because they are not who they really are; the internet removes the filters/common sense/decency(?) by removing the face to face or immediate voice "reactions".

I agree with what your saying, and I'm not saying this is your view, but I think that doesn't excuse people because there is a filter missing. Actually there is a filter, that filter is hiding behind their keyboard (though I imagine some are more public)

I try to follow the old adage:
Is it kind? Is it true? Is it helpful?
The operative word is "try". I miss the mark on a daily basis, though. My main failings are being cynical, sarcastic and fairly snarky.
Ted

I'll add...

Are you doing it for the right reason, the right way, at the right time...

But we're drifting off topic.

Maybe I can tell you a story about how it felt to me to be a mod...and why I would never do it again:

At ADV, I was a n00b....only been there less than two years. You don't get to be made a mod in 20 months...ever. But the board had a problem.

In some ways it was like this place, we were travelers. On motorcycles, but we went and met each other in meat/meet space. Many really did know each other around a campfire; mods were dear friends with the community in a space where they weren't mods. It was intimate in some ways. The difference there was that on the board it was a friggen free-for-all. Adventure motorcyclists like to push boundaries. When it came to the board people knew the mods intimately and didn't give a shit sometimes. People would post tits, and still doo, from time to time just to go on a little ban-hammer vacation. The rulz were lax, too. You could do pretty much anything but threaten the Prez or beat up someone's kin. It was a shit storm. There's a member here who knows and could chime in, if felt the need. Anyway, they saw me as an unattached entity who had the chops, given the postings, to be a mod. Putts might be able to come in and do shit we can't 'cuz nobody really knows theis dude up in Montana. So they made me a mod.

Holy smoke! It was like entering a new universe. It wasn't the change in authority though, it was the internal change I had to go through to take the position. All of a sudden I did have authority; what would I author into this community? That's a heavy responsibility. That changed me internally, I had to cope with the fact that every post had double weight because of it. People knew I was to be aware of; how do I speak to that?

I could tell you stories.

Bottom line: One mod dude from Texas said it best, "I was a better mod before I became a mod just by posting." It's true, when you're the cop, in many ways, you end up being less influential. IMHO, as a member you can say almost anything; as a mod, you can not. When you become a mod you have to speak for the board; as a member you get to speak for yourself. For me, it felt like I huge difference. For me it was a big price to pay. As Queen said, I would never do it again.

I need to add, however, it became to me incredably obvious how important mods were to the board. And even more obvious that some of then put in countless hours, hours I would never ever commit, into the work on the board. But I tell you, that board, ADVrider.com, is the best motorcycle board on the planet. And 20 people deliver a working resource for 300,000 people. A-mazing!

So, yeah, I sure hope I don't piss off the mods here for getting up close and personal, but this is a damned good forum. Thanks.

I don't think it's a guys only forum so really not their space. I don't think it's ok to make fun of people. Make fun of yourself but it sounds like bullying otherwise. We don't have to pick on anyone gals or guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
I don't think it's a guys only forum so really not their space.  I don't think it's ok to make fun of people. Make fun of yourself but it sounds like bullying otherwise.  We don't have to pick on anyone gals or guys.  
As i noted before, one sure way to tell what a person is really like inside is to watch what makes them laugh.
When a person thinks it's funny to pick on "fat girls and gay guys", that says a lot more about the person doing the picking than it does the target being picked on.
As I also noted, sexism, racism, and homophobia should have no place in a civilized society. Or here.

I'm going to close this thread. So excited folks are having a hard time sticking to the topic

I'm sure I speak for all the mods an admins when I say thank you for your kind words.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts