Hash Browns!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konaexpress

Reaction score
Found something new (for me anyway). 

Idahoan Premium Hash Browns. You should be able to find them around the freeze dried instant mashed potato packs at about a buck a piece. Makes about two cups and taste pretty good.

John

I portion cook them for breakfast. A 1/2 cup (about the size of one of the disposable fruit cup plastic thingies for those who don't carry measuring cups.. :rolleyes: ) makes a reasonable size serving when rehydrated.

I found the restaurant size box in Smart and Final in Blythe - has 72 servings in it. A full box will go back home with me this spring so I can take them on canoe trips all summer!!... :D

They taste really good especially when cooked in real Butter....I love them!!!! YUM YUM!

thumbs up, I agree with the dried hash browns they taste really good. Idahoan brand is the best imo. highdesertranger

Ditto HDR and their mashed potato is good too!
That dried potato stuff has gotten much better than it used to be.
Saves a lot of weight in the rig.

So what other dried stuff should I keep my eyes out for? Could start a new thread for this I guess and where to get them......

John

Thanks for this info. I didn't know this was an option. I'll be looking for these.

"Saves a lot of weight in the rig"

How many 10 LB bags of potatoes were you carrying?

I like the idea of them as I don't have to worry about them going bad. As long as you have plenty of water, you could extend your time out and about and still have comfort food.

John

How many pounds of fresh potatoes I DON'T have to carry is the way I look at it.
I have 3 or 4 boxes of dried potatoes usually , more if I'm planning on not going to town for a while , like , say a winter in Death Valley...another plus is dry is not perishable.
A dozen packs of those Hash Browns.
Hungry Jack just add water pancake mix. (Their mashed Ps are good too)
Bisquick.
Powdered milk. Great for cooking.
I DO have a 20Gal water tank......

Powdered milk? Can you use this with that boxed Mac-n-cheese? Pasta cream sauce maybe?

John

Konaexpress said:
Powdered milk? Can you use this with that boxed Mac-n-cheese? Pasta cream sauce maybe?

John

Of course you can!

You can either reconstitute the milk separately and add to the mac n cheese or you can just add the powdered milk to the cheese sauce package and add the appropriate amount of water!

I understand Nido is the best of the bunch for regular cows milk in powdered form. I'm using powdered goats milk this winter as I'm not able to get lactose free cream here in this area. It's great because I'm mixing up 1 cup at a time for in my tea. It works out cheaper than buying goats milk by the quart and I don't have any spoilage.

Almost There said:
Of course you can!

You can either reconstitute the milk separately and add to the mac n cheese or you can just add the powdered milk to the cheese sauce package and add the appropriate amount of water!

I understand Nido is the best of the bunch for regular cows milk in powdered form. I'm using powdered goats milk this winter as I'm not able to get lactose free cream here in this area. It's great because I'm mixing up 1 cup at a time for in my tea. It works out cheaper than buying goats milk by the quart and I don't have any spoilage.

Nice! Good for you finding the goat mild alternative. 

A good alternative for that tea is coffee! :D

John

Konaexpress said:
Nice! Good for you finding the goat mild alternative. 

A good alternative for that tea is coffee! :D

John

Not a chance on that coffee!!

I was in my forties before I could stomach the smell of the stuff. I've never willingly tasted coffee.. :rolleyes:

We have been using the hashbrowns for quite a while and keep a good supply of the mashed too.
Sometimes I make a bowl of mashed and let them cool and then add a 2-3 eggs for potato pancakes.

bindi&us said:
We have been using the hashbrowns for quite a while and keep a good supply of the mashed too.
Sometimes I make a bowl of mashed and let them cool and then add a 2-3 eggs for potato pancakes.

Oh wow! That, a little nutmeg and a apple sauce cup? Heaven!

John

I know , right! (I'm working on a formula in the popeye mad scientist lab , )

I can't find dried spinach either....those cans are taking up all my storage space !!!!