Has anyone gone through acclamation from warm to hot?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbankid12

Reaction score
I’m originally from Minnesota and spent the winter in quartzite and part of the spring in northern New Mexico but in now in Texas looking to settle down for a bit and looking for interviews before I start paying for a place... 

I need to get used to the place and I been reading that it takes people two weeks to get used to the weather is that true? I’m about 300 lbs 5’8 so I know I’m big but I’m trying to adjust and it’s been a few days already but kinda been using A/C but just wanted to know other peoples experience 

I cold turkeys quit coffee now, no spice foods and working on eating healthy trying to slow down a bit and relax as well. 

I need to stop sweating buckets cause that on job interviews don’t look so good .. any advice or stories of others experience maybe I’m not the only one but maybe it gets easier... I hope so ..

It will probably take more like 6 weeks in my opinion and all this is strictly based on me and my opinions. You will have to work at it. You need to determine how much water your body needs, not too much and not too little. it is hard to do. You will drink so much water you will begin to dislike the taste most likely so adding something like Crystal Light will help. Extremely cold water is not especially good for you especially if you gulp large amounts. So if it is cold sip it slowly. You will know when you are making progress when you drink warm water because you know your body is telling you you need water as in you quit sweating, begin to get tunnel vision, dry mouth and light headed. Clothing and shade are your friends. avoid direct sun light. The UV treated cloth and ventilation in long sleeve fishing shirts is hard to beat, Sam's Club has some good cheap ones and desert tan seems to be the best color. A wide brim hat ventilated on the sides that curves to cover your neck and face should be worn at all times outdoors. Eating a few salty thin cantina chips and small cup of salsa around 2 PM in the afternoon helps as well. Staying indoors or in the shade from 3 PM till 6 PM and doing outside chores early from 5 AM till no later than 10 AM will help as well. You should urinate at least three or four times a day and it should be light yellow in color, lighter drink less water, darker drink more water. Eat your big meal early morning and small light meals during the day. No carbonated drinks but if you do add lots of ice and drink them in the evening. Again this is what I do and I don't know anything that will work for you, this is just what works for me. Cold weather is gone this week with 100's every day and one forecasted day of 110 degrees. Work on slowly shedding the extra weight as it puts extra strain on your already over heated body if you will be working outside and take lots of breaks in the shade.

You decide to stop spicy food in Texas??!!

I love the heat. 100 everyday is just about protection. Observations and adjustments I made were high heat locales take life much slower. Walk slower, work slower, talk slower..lol

I love siesta culture and I can be found basking in the shade or on a rock between 2 and 4.

Watch what the locals do and keep a jug of iced lemonade nearby.

When the humidity gets over 20% I start to pit out. I found Dr. Teals antiperspirant as outstanding to prevent that. It's really one of the best items I know of. I think it's nearly all zinc or magnesium.. if your pits are more active id highly recommend you try it.

If your brow is pouring buckets.. maybe you could smear a thin line of the Dr. Teals and rub it in... I bet it would work.
...or bring head bands back into style?

Pretty sure you will adjust in little time. You will definitely lose weight.. salads, fruits and veggies are sooo much more enjoyable in hot climates.

Keep an extra change of shirts handy as well as wet wipes.

Not much else you can do about it.

The best way to decrease sweat output is to get in shape. This does not necessarily mean losing weight (though it's a natural side effect) just gaining endurance. If you exercise for a continuous hour every week, you should find that you start sweating less in a year or so.

Maybe consider joining one of the cheap 24 hour gyms and make yourself go to it. Or do something else, like martial arts or spinning or swimming.

What part of Texas? I ask because it's a lot easier acclimating to low humidity heat, like in west Texas. It's humidity that makes us miserable.

I’m about 300 lbs 5’8 so I know I’m big but I’m trying to adjust and it’s been a few days already but kinda been using A/C but just wanted to know other peoples experience

------------------sorry here but gonna tell you the truth of it all. Get in shape and lose weight.

Our weight will always work against us being obese. Simple as that.

I get you need AC and hot might take ya down, in walking, enjoying life and not fitting into our 'expectations of what we want' being active and more.

So you know you future. You see it. You must take a personal action but that is a true up to you on a personal level truly........sorry but true. No one wants to hear it LOL but so many of us have been there and a lifestyle eating change will correct SO MUCH for you across a broad spanse............but if not sure you wanna change you, then go cooler climate for your day to day survival as you want it to be.

you got choices :) :) up to you only. You keep lowering your carb intake and your life will change for the better but if you are only ditching coffee and some spice..........nope.........go all in and do for you as you need :) or again, move yourself to a colder climate to make up for the sweats bad eating will always work against you.

go low carb. tons of info on the internet. eat meat and alot of it and drop the taters and pizza and more, or whatever crap ya love cause in the end, it is all up to you moving forward as you see fit.

your body is telling you a ton, now listen :)

wishing you only the best truly!!!

I am fairly close to your weight, I am 5'11.. Before the pandemic hit, I was in Florida, Miami.. Mind you I grew up in Lake PLacid NY.. I have always hated the hot weather.. 
Any way. I rode a bicycle a minimum of 10 miles 5 days a week, Plus I was working outside sales so I was walking most of the day.. Trust me I was sweating like a stuck pig in a roasting pit..

in 4 months I dropped 4 pants sizes, I was still sweating considerably.. But I was feeling much better.. Then the pandemic hit, and I got lazy again.. 
But I really want to get back into a routine of getting into shape.. because I was getting close to my high school weight.. 
I am 52 and I also have a bum ankle.. 
You can do it. But you need to get into the mind set that you are going to do it.. 

(not saying your lazy by the way)
You just need to make your elf do it no matter what.. that is how I did it

oh and I did not eat the greatest while I did it either, in fact I did not change my eating habits.. If you ask me, focus on just getting out a pushy your self, Do worry about your food intake, just get out an do it..

AND THIS WAS MEANT FOR THE OP

Scott3569 said:
I am fairly close to your weight, I am 5'11.. Before the pandemic hit, I was in Florida, Miami.. Mind you I grew up in Lake PLacid NY.. I have always hated the hot weather.. 
Any way. I rode a bicycle a minimum of 10 miles 5 days a week, Plus I was working outside sales so I was walking most of the day.. Trust me I was sweating like a stuck pig in a roasting pit..

in 4 months I dropped 4 pants sizes, I was still sweating considerably.. But I was feeling much better.. Then the pandemic hit, and I got lazy again.. 

AND THIS WAS MEANT FOR THE OP

The sweating and long term endurance takes at least a year to change. For some people it's two years. It's awesome that you made such major progress in 4 months though.

I'm also a big guy. I'm 6'2" and over 270. I did karate roughly weekly for 8 years, and also slacked off because of covid. (My karate school was alternating between closed and abnormal.)  I didn't lose any weight, but I got significantly stronger and gained a lot of endurance. My appearance also went flabby looking to strong looking, though I'm still large.

I realize this thread was about adjusting to a hot climate. The reason I brought up getting in shape is because it will help IMO.

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. I am seeking a job that I can be active in. Right now my daily excercise consists walking my dog. She gets tired easily but I manage to get in 5,000-8,000 steps a day.

I’m moving to San Antonio. I have noticed the warm weather makes me eat less and feels kinda nice.. I’m in the outside temps 22-23 hours a day I trying to drive during the peak heat and I have the AC on low (77-84)

I’m trying to hold off on getting a place until I have a job lined up (hotel stay from when I get an interview)

I am trying to change my life and jump start into a whole new life. I am cutting down on carbs and I’m working on getting a better diet my diet has been quite well this last year just need to get more veggies in and less carbs.

I feel like I have the ability to maintain my weight once I get it down, I guess this is all part of the process.

I will say it’s terrifying living in my van with my dog in such extreme heat low to mid 90’s but I learned everything I needed to continue doing this safely for a few more weeks or a month or two tops. And hopefully everything will work out ?

Thanks again to everyone who posted advice and their 2 cents felt much less alone today.. ? have a wonderful day to everyone as well!

This has been an unusually wet year in Texas.  "Normally," it starts getting drier by now and the THI drops.  (I'm a little old lady, and I usually sweat through May.)  For your safety, do remember that the effect of heat exposure is cumulative.  It is important to rest in a cool place for some time daily.  Also, have you tried placing one of those bandanas with pellets that hold water around your next?  I have found that helpful at times.

Enjoy your journey forward!!

Being from the freeze dried high desert in Oregon I'm not used to hot humid climate but found myself living in North Carolina for a year. I never got used to being sweaty and damp all the time and always had trouble sleeping. Same thing when I lived on Japan, hot and steamy. Fans and air conditioning help. Hope it works out for you.

I'm used and acclimated to cold weather. I'm hovering around the Ozarks in Arkansas now and I'm finding 97 degrees with almost 100% humidity is not my thing.
Everyone here is sweating bullets including myself, and nobody bats an eye about it. It is just the way things are. The worst part is the bugs, they love this kind of climate.

It is beautiful country though, I think winters here will be great.

^^^We found Arkansas really unique as it has many of the southwest things like scorpions and tarantulas as well as all the reptiles and snakes that were in Kentucky and insects in abundance. When we used tick crystal on the yard I had to use a snow shovel to clean the ticks off the side walks. And it is not unusual to have swarms of yellow jackets and hornets try to move in with you or your vehicle. Mud dobbers love to clog open lines and hoses in a few hours. Certain times of the year in rural Arkansas it sounds like rain on the paved roads as frogs and tarantulas look for a dry warm surface and turtles are large enough you have to stop and move them. Lord help you if you have a brown vehicle during hunting season but it is better than a motorcycle when the ducks migrate or being completely covered in bugs after sunset. We lived there several years without air conditioning, sweating is the least of your worries, especially if you get poison ivy, oak or sumac and chiggers bother you! Give me the high temps of the southwest any day. We loved Arkansas and eastern Texas till we got to the southwest! Lol!!!

One of the things I love about Wyoming is the lack of bugs. There are mosquitoes for about a month per year, and miller moths, but other than that the bugs can't survive the winter so there aren't many.

barleyguy said:
One of the things I love about Wyoming is the lack of bugs. There are mosquitoes for about a month per year, and miller moths, but other than that the bugs can't survive the winter so there aren't many.
I grew up just outside Yellowstone..

I remember lots of horse flys and deer flys.. much meaner and larger in size and number than the mosquitoes... hordes of ticks, wasps 
and of course plenty of millers...

My parents used to call all of us kids millers when we bothering them... never understood it back then..lol

Now I'm in the Northwest and wonder if there is anything more creepy than a damn earwig... first time I saw one 2am in the bathroom sink.. half awake... that woke me right tfu!

Attachments

• 1623688372938.jpg
    1623688372938.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2
desert_sailing said:
Now I'm in the Northwest and wonder if there is anything more creepy than a damn earwig... first time I saw one 2am in the bathroom sink.. half awake... that woke me right tfu!

I know these... back in Greece they call them psalida ( ΨΑΛΙΔΑ )
I haven't seen any here in the US yet.
I know they bite, but they are not poisonous