Hammock instead of bed?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rayd888 said:
Awesome. And yes, good quality, real rock climbing carabiners are a Must, in my opinion.

By the way, most, if not all those hammocks are made by the same manufacturer in Thailand and re-branded for each Amazon "supplier."

"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
Build video:

I like the light color hammock edges to help me see in my cargo van (no rear windows  :D so I know what to grab in the dark: especially on my narrow hammock now!

Seems like Caravan Carolyn discovered the awesomeness of sleeping in a hammock. [emoji12]

See her video here:

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

That was 2 years ago, Carolyn now has a regular bed that tilts up into a couch sort of a thing.

This is what I'm planning on doing too. I saw a video on Bob's YTube channel with a woman who does this exact same thing. I have a spine accident and thought this might work out for me. How do you like the hammock so far?

Fauna said:
This is what I'm planning on doing too. I saw a video on Bob's YTube channel with a woman who does this exact same thing. I have a spine accident and thought this might work out for me. How do you like the hammock so far?
Haha. I didn't notice it was an old video.

I'm not a full timer, but I've slept in the hammock in the minivan while car camping. I do sleep in a hammock at home every night though. I haven't found a cot that won't kill my back.

If I don't sleep in a hammock I get horrible neck and back pains. This has helped several friends of mine too.

It takes a few days to get used to it and find the right sleeping position. As mentioned on this thread, you need to lay diagonally in the hammock and not have it stretched too tight.

Try it out and see if it works for you.

I’ve done it using a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. It has a foot box which gives you a flatter lay.

LoupGarou said:
I’ve done it using a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. It has a foot box which gives you a flatter lay.
Someone had asked me how I would hang the hammock...

I uploaded a video on how to hang a hammock inside my minivan. I believe it's a better method than the usual one where they use straps over the roof.

Thanks for connecting me with Turtle Lady at the RTR before you two gave your hammock presentation.  I never got the pole setup pieces to hang my hammock out in the desert.  However on the trip home I spent a couple of nights in a paid campground with lots of trees.  Almost every campsite seemed to have a hammock hanging in the trees.  So I got mine out and hung it up.  Thanks to what Turtle Lady taught me I knew how to lay crosswise and found it much more comfortable than the way I used to lay in hammocks.  Also put a little pillow under my knees and was so comfy....then it started to RAIN, and rain and rain.  Thanks for finding me at the RTR and helping me with ideas on how to make an outdoor setup so I can use my hammock when there are no trees close by.

Latest posts