Hammock instead of bed?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
breeze said:
Still, I'd rather forgo the huge mattress markup (rip off) if I can find a hammock to support my big butt, lol.

It is easy to put a memory foam topper on regular cheap foam and very inexpensive. If you prefer a hammock (I don't), that is fine, but you don't save a lot of money and it takes up a lot of space inside the vehicle.

Almost There said:
If you want really good advice on choosing a hammock, hanging it for good sleep and outfitting one for the van, head on over to hammockforums.net.

They're the experts on this stuff.

I made all my own hammock gear thanks to the people there who did all the engineering.

I love my bridge hammock. I just don't get enough time in it, particularly here in the Arizona desert...hanging from shallow rooted trees and saquaro cactus' is not in the plans.... :D

No, Ray advised a perfect hammock for me. I'm just trying to best distribute the weight the best possible way. 

It's perfect, but I will go see the forums you speak of. I appreciate the information. Hammocks murder beds!

breeze said:
No, Ray advised a perfect hammock for me. I'm just trying to best distribute the weight the best possible way. 

It's perfect, but I will go see the forums you speak of. I appreciate the information. Hammocks murder beds!

I'm really glad I could help, breeze.

The hammock forum @Almost There suggested is awesome. Also YouTube has a ton of great videos on the subject.

Just keep using your hammock and you'll naturally get more and more comfortable with practice. Just don't give up and the payback is well worth it.

I'm not allowed to post any links here yet so later I,can post more useful ones...

Rayd888 said:
I'm really glad I could help, breeze.

The hammock forum @Almost There suggested is awesome. Also YouTube has a ton of great videos on the subject.

Just keep using your hammock and you'll naturally get more and more comfortable with practice. Just don't give up and the payback is well worth it.

I'm not allowed to post any links here yet so later I,can post more useful ones...

One more post Ray, you can do it! (No one is looking at quality pass/fail criteria, believe me.)

To hell with all the (Don) Knotts.  

440px-Don_Knotts_1975.JPG

Below looks cool to me.
Got any leads on those post holders on the wall?

1c34e5d4f859c8803454aea333886477.jpg

I don't want a pickle, just wanta' ride on my motorcycle.

Ha! I wasn't really counting.

I've seen a YouTube video showing a bunk like that one. Looks really interesting and follows my minimalist view on beds too: something that can be taken down during the day to free up space in the living area, but I find hammocks more comfortable than cots.

By the way, I saw some ENO hammocks in clearance for $20 in an Academy Sports + Outdoors in FL. At around $80. I find those hammocks really overpriced in my opinion, so that is a steal. But the catch is that they were real ugly multi-color/rainbow-type hammocks - which never sold because of this. But some people love them...

I'll post a couple of links to some how-to videos later.

Peace.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Here's the video on the bunk bed:

Rayd888 said:
Here's the video on the bunk bed:

Yes, I saw that one too. I like army cots a lot, but I don't want to get a wood working ensemble of tools and build up a learning curve using them. And all of that is based on a wall of 2x4's and sewing your own canvas seams? Lol, I want a one and your done, or maybe two and give it a goo solution set. I don't want to join a club and have my email saturated with knot tying club literature, like the Pin-it gang does for everything under the Sun.

The van cot idea seems like a marketable idea that van owners would not mind spending money to save weight, fit into a crowded van, and save time constructing a Murphy bed in 1/3rd of your van. What I don't want to do is just displace all that Murphy bed activity into wood working, sewing, and knot tying education and learning curve TIME.

Until I figure out EVERYTHING in my van as I go, I am not going to encase the walls; because I'll be yanking it off and on forever until I am sure. It just does not make sense. All of the 'nifty' ideas shown in 15 second videos, hiding weeks of man-labor and years of education, are ultimately impracticable unless you want to STOP everything in your life and focus on that one thing. Unfortunately, almost everything is like that with something as complex as a van living system. Damn it.  :-/

And all those video's purpose is just for the YouTube 14 cents per view income??

I understand what you mean. My first van build was a nice, static, finished deal but I want my next one to be a "living design" as you mentioned - something that easily evolves with use.

Here's the video build of that van:

- Now I can put it in my signature. Woo-hoo!

I bought one of these a while back. The best cots out there, in my opinion, but ridiculously expensive: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGU41G2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_v9fGAb8BW1VP2

I saw a van with one of these and they used it as a sofa as well, but they're not that quick to take apart and reassemble. Don't know if they come as single cots.

Again, after much research, I've settled on hammocks, but I know it's not for everyone.

Rayd888 said:
I understand what you mean. My first van build was a nice, static, finished deal but I want my next one to be a "living design" as you mentioned - something that easily evolves with use.

Here's the video build of that van:

- Now I can put it in my signature. Woo-hoo!

I bought one of these a while back. The best cots out there, in my opinion, but ridiculously expensive: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGU41G2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_v9fGAb8BW1VP2

I saw a van with one of these and they used it as a sofa as well, but they're not that quick to take apart and reassemble. Don't know if they come as single cots.

Again, after much research, I've settled on hammocks, but I know it's not for everyone.

Nice Dodge Van. I like(d) Dodge vans, and had a nice (late 1960's) cream yellow one with an Electrolux label painted on the side: but the engine was bombed out. I bought and sold it for $200 (between family and friends), and except for maintenance (and daily oil :D , I only added a loud 2 speaker stereo (that made you feel like you were inside a speaker, which you were in every sense - a perfect speaker.) It was an all window empty cargo van, with a loud smelly gas engine between the seats.

But as far as I'm concerned, the Nation's 2nd alternator is the heart of a li-ion electronics system
feasible Van population, imo (for alternator, solar, plug in (clean) power.) No diesel, no loud smelly generator that requires topping up frequently, and no lead acid battery maintenance/risk/head ache. It will truly be what 'RV' was mean to be: Living the Life of Riley at an economical advantage (take that, lead-acid zombie slaves :)

So if a Nation's 2nd alternator does not fit in it, it's not even in the van population subset, imo. But since Bob also suggests many of the same one-ton (approx.) vehicles, it's in very good (The Best!) company to begin with.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hammocks was a good $27 instant solution, from you my friend (plus one of my comforters.)
However, the van-cot is my long term goal (as Again, You highlighted!), and there are many hungry and smart vendors to make that happen: although it won't be as easy or cheap as the hammock implementation. The cot vendor link solution you provided takes up valuable floor space, so I could Never see that long term in any RV van (but I may temporarily bastardize the cots - ??). That's the advantage of the high roof is the Z-dimension (as in x, y, Z), as in taking advantage of all the vertical space possible (6'-5" for Nissan NV). 

Because I live in the South, like Bob said, I don't need no stinkin' insulation. I will have appliances, a Penguin II 13.5 k ac on the roof, a space heater, and 'essentials.' The van-cot just bumped it's way on the 'essentials' list with a high priority. I've seen a couple of those on Pinterest, lol, but the wall-interfaces were always hidden (surprise, surprise); so it immediately fell off a list to begin with since I did not even know what it was. Now I do! I name thee 'adaptive van-cot system!'

I think using smart local vendors will be quicker and easier than wading through thousands of half baked presented Pinterest ideas, ymmv.

I just learned something new today. I hadn't seen this dual alternator mutation! Looks very good.

Thanks!

"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
Build video:

I may make one of those cot's fit, since sizes just reduce length and width. Looking at how they work looks cool, even though I just need one for now, lol. Yes Ray, Cots are cool! I'll have one to sleep on immediately and one to experiment with in lifting it off the floor.

The FitRV.com explains all of the electronics, including the dual alternator, with an (**) excellent flow chart. The guy who owns the site is a dual rocket engineer and a good teacher. I like his electronics and roof ac (Penguin II) suggestions especially. Many are free like how to lower your roof ac temperature range to get cooler. And then he has some expensive electronic handling balancers. However, from the member dialogue, I found out about a Sumo Springs which are miraculous to me and only $209 + $50 installation :) It really helps in a high roof van and counteracts 18 wheeler drafts and high winds on the expressway 100%!

I had to go away from the bunk cots you had because they were steel, and not AL. Steel is highly conductive with all forms of energy in the van. AL works out much better towards neutrally charged to sleep on, even with padding. Steel will hurt your head and you will never fall asleep on it (like Prison cots!) I'm looking for up to a 6.5' x 24" x about 18" for modular AL cot next.

Ray,  your help is greatly appreciated: I need all the help I can get.   :D

Hmmm. I hadn't thought about the bed materials affecting your sleep pattern. That's one drawback about Nylon hammocks - some feel plasticky, but others feel like silk.

Some people make Silk hammocks, but that's rather expensive.

Great find (FitRV.com) - thanks!

Build video:

breeze said:
 . . . Steel is highly conductive with all forms of energy in the van. AL works out much better towards neutrally charged to sleep on . . .

Aluminum is much more conductive in the electromagnetic spectrum and thermal conduction than iron (in any alloy, which steel is one with lower conductivity)
     Aluminum electrical conductivity =  37 X 10^9 siemens/m, thermal = 237 W/m Kº
     Iron electrical conductivity = 10 x 10^9 siemens/m, thermal = 80 W/m Kº

What other forms of energy are you concerned about?

Spaceman Spiff said:
Aluminum is much more conductive in the electromagnetic spectrum and thermal conduction than iron (in any alloy, which steel is one with lower conductivity)
     Aluminum electrical conductivity =  37 X 10^9 siemens/m, thermal = 237 W/m Kº
     Iron electrical conductivity = 10 x 10^9 siemens/m, thermal = 80 W/m Kº

What other forms of energy are you concerned about?

Breeze said, "...[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] they were steel, and not AL"[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Where are you getting "iron" from?? Another poster, another thread, another dimension?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]IGNOREd[/font]

breeze said:
Steel will hurt your head and you will never fall asleep on it (like Prison cots!)

Prison cots are uncomfortable because of uncomfortable mattresses. No problem sleeping on steel with a comfortable mattress and pillow for most people. My main concern about a steel frame is they don't usually have much room underneath for storage. I read that home depot will make a wooden frame if you give them a simple design to copy. That might work for me if the price is right.

breeze said:
Breeze said, "...[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] they were steel, and not AL"[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Where are you getting "iron" from?? Another poster, another thread, another dimension?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]IGNOREd[/font]

Read my post again "  . . . [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]iron (in any alloy, which steel is one with lower conductivity)"[/font]

I found another hammock on Amazon at a great price: $21!

About $20 for good quality materials is awesome.

I like the way they sewed the webbing directly to the hammock. They say it's rated at $1,000 pounds.

I'm not affiliated to any of these vendors, and I haven't tried this one in particular. I'm just going by experience, the materials used, etc. Also, the wider the better since it's easier and more comfortable to lay diagonally.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5WH94J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_YJyHAb2A9D790

Hope this helps.

Build video:

Rayd888 said:
I found another hammock on Amazon at a great price: $21!

About $20 for good quality materials is awesome.

I like the way they sewed the webbing directly to the hammock. They say it's rated at $1,000 pounds.

I'm not affiliated to any of these vendors, and I haven't tried this one in particular. I'm just going by experience, the materials used, etc. Also, the wider the better since it's easier and more comfortable to lay diagonally.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5WH94J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_YJyHAb2A9D790

Hope this helps.

Build video:

Yea, I've been busy, but was thinking about a dual hammock on my radar screen, like posters here suggested. The first one would have been perfect, except I have a motorcycle seat either for a headrest or foot-prop one, in between. So I've been teetering on the edge of the last hammock  :D  stretched just a little too tight for the smaller width (unless I'm centered perfect.) I got a similar dual hammock on the same page as the link you suggested above (same as last brand you suggested for me, and #1 - it must be cheaper! )

I also got some nice carabiners since I was 1 penny shy of $8 shipping, lol Amazon! I keep breaking the (cheap) spring loaded carabiners catching on my clothes, hanging off my belt. Nice carabiners are always handy.

Thanks Again!

51OvKT2OOqL._SY180_.jpg
51yGBAfAr0L._SY180_.jpg

Awesome. And yes, good quality, real rock climbing carabiners are a Must, in my opinion.

By the way, most, if not all those hammocks are made by the same manufacturer in Thailand and re-branded for each Amazon "supplier."

Build video: