Gun logistics

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breeze

Reaction score
Where do vandwellers store their weapons when they enter places they can't enter legally with firearms? Even with bricks and sticks, it is difficult to hide weapons with all the retarded snitches scanning their adjacent across-the-street neighbors with defense grade mw radars from Sun down to morning times.

Are there no private lock boxes for the vandweller, w/o always having a storage unit handy and rented everywhere you go? What about our second amendment rights? Are their any 'smart' substitutes for 'lock-boxes' that could be used for weapons legally?

Being legal and safe both seem like reasonable objectives, on the right side of the law (in about 35 of the States anyway.) W/o spilling the beans on your hiding places, please offer some useful guidelines. TIA!

When I have taken short trips into Canada I leave my guns with a gunsmith in Great Falls.  If you are going to Alaska the gunsmith will ship them to a gunsmith in Anchorage.

Also, some private campgrounds along the border have lockable cages to rent that you can store stuff in until you return.

I installed a safe, bolted to chassis, large enough to hold all the expensive stuffs and guns in my recent build. It is also hidden behind a false wall. But mostly the pistol stays on my hip anyway.

As for the actual legality, just store your pistol in the box is came in, unloaded, locked, and not within reach of the driver (while driving) and you meet every states laws. Long guns do not require a locked case but still need to be unloaded. Though ammo can be right beside it.

As for the snitching neighbors, who cares! You are doing NOTHING against the law. Assuming you are in the USA

a well hidden lock box, nothing in the place that says gun.
or best to avoid such places too begain with.
as to shipping to Alaska that can be trickey.
first set up a ffl up there.
you package said rifle/pistol.
the ffl recives said box. DOES not open it. it is addressed to you. in care of said ffl.
pay him a small fee. take your un oppened box.
revers to get it back in the lower 48.
you avoid problem with the canuks.
if a ffl recives a gun. it must go into his bound book and this is where problems start.
if he recives a sealed box addressed to YOU. but in care of him.
far less hassels. but must be shipped ffl to ffl but nither touches the weapon. just a sealed box.

In California, use a trigger lock and have ammo stored separately away from the firearm..

breeze said:
Where do vandwellers store their weapons when they enter places they can't enter legally with firearms? Even with bricks and sticks, it is difficult to hide weapons...

Just like there are ways to avoid looking like there a things in your vehicle worth stealing, there are ways to reduce the chances of someone thinking there's a gun in it. For example, if I'm a thief cruising a parking lot, which vehicle is more likely to get me thinking there's a gun inside: one with 2nd Amendment and NRA stickers or one without?

Deal Breaker said:
In California, use a trigger lock and have ammo stored separately away from the firearm..

I was told before I went a year ago to also make sure you do not have any magazines capable of carrying more than 10 rounds as well. I read somewhere that just possessing them loaded or not was illegal. Would be worth looking into.

There are some definitive laws that assist us nomad-types, namely the Federal Laws of transporting a legally owned firearm across state lines and into each state. The NRA has the most information out there at easy reach -- https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

In short, it is 100% legal to own, and travel with a gun, even using air transport. I have traveled with my guns through dozens of states (including CA) and even gone through Canada with multiple guns, and had my pistol shipped to Alaska during my time up there, all perfectly legal. I do however avoid states with stupid-restrictive guns laws except CA where I have no choice thanks to my family's refusal to move out of that damn place.

Others choose to store their guns when going into countries that do not permit us to have our guns... such as Mexico, where I am now. You can store guns at local firearm dealers for a nominal price, however you must know that a firearm dealer can NOT return a handgun to a non-resident of the state the dealer is in. For example, if I were storing my pistol in Southern California while I went into Baja, he would gladly take & store my pistol, but he could not give it back to me. He has to ship it to Colorado (where my ID says I live) and only a Colorado firearms dealer may hand me my pistol back. To get around that is to simply rent a small storage space and store your own weapons in your own rented space. You effectively never lose possession of the firearm and do not have to worry about taking possession again.

California specifically has many (many, many... MANY) gun laws. The ones that effect us the most is that the gun has to be locked in a container in a separate compartment from the driver, AND the ammo needs to be in a locked container in a separate compartment as well. On top of that, California has a magazine-limit-law. Anything more than 10-rds is illegal in the state. The way around that is to dismantle the magazines into their separate parts while in the state. I still lock them up to be double sure.

California also has an "assault weapons ban" which goes beyond any other state. It now includes ANY rifle with ANY detachable magazine (which is pretty much ALL semi-auto rifles). You are allowed to transport the gun *through* the state thanks to the Federal Laws, but if you are *staying* in the state (beyond a hotel in route while passing through) the state laws forbid the transport of any assault rifles other then too a shooting range and back to your home. You are not allowed to just have one in your vehicle just because you own one.

California's laws are some of the most restrictive in the country, but many states nearly mirror many - if not most - of CA's laws. New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Illinois, DC, and Hawaii are just a few of those states that have most of the same laws that CA has.