Gromets and Snaps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karenishere

Reaction score
I was camping in a rental camper a few months ago, and it had a very simple (and cheap) arrangement for window shades.  Big pieces of canvas snapped on at the top of the windows that would roll down and then get snapped onto the vehicle at the bottom of the window, the snap arrangement was probably put into the canvas with some kind of industrial hole-punch-type device and screwed into the van with self tapping screws. Broomstick in the bottom hem to keep things neat.  Realized I have no idea how to create those snaps, they could be super useful for all sorts of applications.    Anyone know what it is I need, or where to get it?   :blush:

ETA: I see Amazon has something called a Dritz heavy duty snap fastener, but a lot of the reviews are not at all positive. Anyone have another device or method that actually works well? I won't say money is no object, but I'd rather pay $50 for a tool that works well than $15 for one that breaks after three tries.

Those snap kits are available at every craft and hardware store. They're generally around $5 for a set of 7. You can buy them the way you're describing (intended for one part to be screwed to a wall somewhere), but they're more expensive when packaged that way. I did all the windows in my van with snaps and I just bought the "regular" snaps and used my own screws and threw away the parts I didn't need. The kits come with a little anvil and striker to set the snap in your material. You don't need to buy any kind of $50 tool. Just don't do the hammer-swinging part on your 8th beer, it took a week for the skin on my thumb to come back.

like what has been said, you can get the snaps at any arts and crafts store or fabric store. even with the cheap tools if you pay attention, they will work. btw the snaps come in different lengths depending on the thickness of the material, you must use the right one or you will have bad results. highdesertranger