Onan Stripped Oil Pan Repair

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only store with a full tank to keep moisture from building up in the gas tank from condensation. I wish they would sell it here. I haven't seen "real" gas in quite some time. I know you pay more for "real" gas but you get more MPG out of it. I think it probably costs the same MPG wise. I don't think I can afford avgas.

It is actually cheaper to go to the airport than to buy it than at the fuel dock here but about the same at the land based service station. You might be surprised if you call some of the small air strips. Being remote any gas here is at least $1.00 more per gallon than the nearest Sam's Club 225 miles away.

Yep, the most expensive gas I ever bought was at a boat dock. Kinda a captive audience.

I used to run avgas back when I did drag racing. You could set the timing farther ahead. $2.30 vs $4.35 for 87 octane vs 100 octane. I don't think so Tim (from Tim the Toolman Taylor show). I'll take my chances. The bastard gas we have now was around when my van was built and the gas lines are plastic so I don't worry about corrosion.

I store my rig at about 1/2 tank only because it needs to be above 1/4 tank to run the generator.  Funny thing, one of the cures for condensation was to use an alcohol additive in the fuel...   Alcohol is hygroscopic and takes up any moisture from the air or gasoline in the tank.  I haven't seen water in a tank since the switch to blended fuels.  The only thing I'm concerned about would be corrosion from the alcohol, but the last time I had my Onan carb apart it was super clean inside.  The rest of the rig is alcohol compatible.

Not much air to condense if the tank is full. The carburetors on Onan's are pot metal IIRC. Pot metal doesn't corrode from alcohol. But the brass jets and passages will clog if gas is not run through them regularly. I had to replace the fuel pump and clean the jets/passages on mine when I bought the rig. The non use probably caused the pump to clog and freeze. What a PITA but worth it in the long run for me.