Grill thermometer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wazowski

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Hey guys! I hope you're doing great[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I have a dilemma about meat thermometers for grilling. I'm a newbie griller and I don't savvy much, that's why I'm asking. Which meat thermometer would you advise? I know that there are leave-in and instant-read ones, which one would be the best?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]If it has sense: my grill is a charcoal weber kettle.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Thanks![/font]

^^^ That is the one I use between the insulation and the tank on my hot water heater so I don't get the water too hot.

Thanks for your responses. What do you think about waterproof models? Are they really waterproofing or it's just a commercial move? It's said that this model is a folding one. I've never heard about this type of thermometers, but it looks more reliable because it seems to be easier to take it outdoors and not to break a probe in a bag.

Posts 2, 3 and 6 are just different models of what you posted. The probes all fold to the handle which turns them off for storage. Waterproofing might only come into play if left outdoors or you don't ventilate well when burning propane inside. Mine has been exposed to steam for the few seconds it takes to get a reading.

The price is good.

Well I just bought the # 7 above off Amazon to take in my Suburban to try out. Want to leave my Thermapens at home.
Looks like it is worth a try--good reviews for most part and price point is good. Thanks t

Quick review on the instant read KIZEN from post # 7 above that came in today via Amazon order. Much lighter weight with a thinner probe than the Thermapen MK4 from post # 6 above. Kizen Unit comes with an extra battery which is nice to have. At room temp the thermapen reads 74 degrees the KIZEN in # 7 is 73.6 degrees -- the thermapen rounds the percentage. On a quick boiling water check the Thermapen reads 211 after no more than 4 seconds. The Kizen from post 7 above reads 210.6 after no more than 4 seconds. Considering you can buy 4 Kizens for the price of 1 Thermapen this seems like a great deal, but I suspect it won't last as well because of apparent cheaper quality build....but will have to see. . .