Great to find a Van Forum now days ! :D

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eDJ_

Reaction score
I'm eDJ and I've had a few Vans now.  My first back in school days and it was my multi purpose vehicle.  Some times hauling stuff after I removed the interior, sometimes RV'n & Camping or boating & fishing & and sometimes some Ooooh La La in the moonlight.   I had a small fiberglass motor boat with 40 hp motor and the Van towed it easily.  It was fun inexpensive dating that my girl friends enjoyed very much.

After Graduating I used the Van to my advantage as I was single and found myself filling in for Soccer Mommies, working week ends to cover for the Married and Landed set who would say...."hey let him do it.....he's single". I noticed that these jobs came up every now and then that required the older married guys to have to go out of town for a few weeks, against their will, and field those situations.   I reasoned that I could set my living arrangements up such that I could be packed up and out of one place on Friday nite and moved into a new place on Sunday afternoon and report to work Monday morning and do what had to be done.  I lived with my camping chairs, inflatable air bed, and bare essentials in these living arrangements.  I called my furnishings "Nomadic Furniture" after the book of the same title. My little econo car would tow behind the Van loaded with plastic bins of my clothes, bathroom and bed linen and appliances.  So when I got to my new digs I could  unload the car,  get the air bed out of the Van and set it up and go to work the next morning in the car. After work I would come back to the new digs and unload the rest of the stuff from the Van and set up
the place.  The Van could at this time be usable on the job if necessary.  This made a light and flexible
move for me that wasn't too difficult.  Someone at the facility I had come to work at had already found me a place to move into so it was just a matter of meeting them and getting the key. 

I don't mean to take anything away from my coworkers with families, but that was a choice that "they" made
and I was working to advance "myself".  I worked in a Headquarters Lab between Sales People and Engineers and the CEO was in the Lab frequently when issues arose in other divisions.  One day I asked him for a few minutes of his time and described what I could do as a "Float Designer" and handle these crisis explaining that
it may be a good way for me to help in a meaningful way and perhaps advance in my career.  He liked the idea
and the rest was history.  But with outsourcing to foreign countries my job was less and less stable and with the internet coming into the picture I found  a ground floor opportunity in web design. 

I've owned Pick Up trucks with toppers and different cars and station wagons but to me nothing beats owning a Van and an economy Car.  My Van's have been regular commercial type vehicles with windows in the front
and in the rear doors.  The interior has a ply wood floor with carpet, a bed frame with inflatable bed,  and a
cabinet with sinks, water pump, aux 12 battery/inverter for 115V, propane 2 burner stove and fold out table.
It can go from RV Van to utility Van in 15 minutes.

If you want to look at the little home page it shows the methods.  Most of the links aren't working now but
perhaps some of the folks here may know where they moved off to. ::)

See ya on the board

eDJ

Welcome to the CRVL forums eDJ!  Lots of good information on your home page link! http://vanconversion.homestead.com/   You can add the link to your signature where it will be more noticeable and easy to access.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks for the greetings everyone :D And the green light to use my home page here as a sig.

I've had in the past a lot of people admire my Van for it's simplicity in function. With so little effort to build, set up, or convert it back to a empty commercial vessel it could serve the three duties I needed. RV, Living in if necessary, and work related needs. I was also aware of the element of Stealth way back then.

You'll notice I mention hanging a beach towel on a piece of electrical conduit mounted above and just behind the front seats. I use shower curtain pins along the side of the towel to make the curtain. What I haven't included in the site yet is the graphic I applied to the towel. I got a towel as close to the color of the Van as I could and air brushed it to appear like you were looking into the Van when it was empty.

VanCurtain.jpg

At a distance any one driving by would see what "appeared at a glance" to be an empty Van. Although I may be laying in the bed asleep.

Your only limits are your imagination and resourcefulness.

Hi,

Good to know about this van. Good to know that all the clothing and bed linen fits in it. Can you please share few photos and share your location. I am in Melbourne, Australia.

Latest posts