Great steak rub

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterplumber

Reaction score
My wife was watching a cooking show the other day, and I happened to catch a portion where the cook made a steak rub using equal parts ground coffee, seasoned salt, and white sugar. It was so simple I thought even I can do that! I tried it the other night with some cheap flank steaks that were on sale. Put the steaks on the grill and covered the top with rub. Turned them fairly often, instead of cooking through on one side before turning like I usually do. Added rub to each top side upon every turn. It was absolutely delicious, didn't even need any steak or bbq sauce. Once mixed up it can be kept in a small sealed container for I'm sure a very long time, as the 3 ingredients all store well without refrigeration. I also think this will taste just as good on any red meat like burgers, or possibly even on Pork - though I haven't tried that yet myself.

You can substitute onion powder, garlic powder or possibly others for the coffee too.

I saw a rub like that once that called for fine ground Expresso Coffee,  brown sugar, and some other spices. (can't remember them right now)   I mixed some of it up after I found these small bags of Expresso at the Dollar 
Tree Store.  It was quite good as I smoked it in my smoker and got a nice bark from the rub. 

I have a tripod grill I use over camp fires.  When I put the meat on I use an aluminum foil casserole pan
(from Dollar Tree)  that I cover the meat with and allow the embers to cook at a lower temp for a longer
time.  Low and slow.   I mounted a small knob on the bottom of the foil pan so I could lift it easier as a cover.
I wrap small chips of smoking wood that have been soaked in water with aluminum foil and poke a few holes
in the foil with a fork and throw these into the fire to create flavoring smoke. 

Even inexpensive cuts of meat can be made quite savory in this manner.