Great information regarding mobile internet options

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So he's laying at least $190 a month for wireless? (he didn't give the base cost of the two cell phones)

A sprint mobile Hotspot unlimited for $49 a month. 4g.

Technomadia is a couple, and Cherie does most of the writing.&nbsp; They depend on the internet for their business, so reliable internet is a business expense for them.&nbsp; Also, the article was written a while ago and is somewhat dated.<br><br>*** Oops, I didn't notice that this was an updated version that they just posted.&nbsp; At a quick glance, I recognised some pictures of their old rig, etc. so assumed that it was the old article.<br><br><br><br>

<FONT size=3>I agree, Blars.&nbsp; They require internet to make their living.&nbsp; And from reading their blog, I would guess they make a pretty good living.</FONT><BR><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<BR><FONT size=3>Seraphim, you didn't include their satellite and millenicom&nbsp;&nbsp;services</FONT><FONT size=3>&nbsp;&nbsp;as part of the expenditures to have internet.&nbsp; I'm guessing that raises the estimated $190.00/monthly quite a bit. </FONT><BR><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<BR><FONT size=3>All in all, I think the post will help people make decisions about what they need or, at the very least, give them a starting point for researching and deciding what is needed.</FONT><BR>

Hi all...<div><br></div><div>Thank you Blars and Cyndi for clarifying our situation a bit.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>For internet only, every month we pay $110. For months that we need the satellite dish (when we're somewhere that other methods just don't work), we add on $80 - this is generally just a couple months a year. &nbsp; So $190 is currently our max internet expenditure.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Our two iPhone plans are just basic plans, which brings our base connectivity costs to $270/month, plus $80 when we need the sat dish.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>As was said above.. we are a couple, so this is feeding two high tech nomads (ie. technomads) who make their living online and remotely doing software development, tech consulting, writing, etc. &nbsp; It is because we're able to make a connection almost anywhere we're at that we're able to travel like this - so we consider it an essential expense (some of it we write off as a business expense, some of it we don't). &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>We also fully disclose all of our travel related expenses here, and keep a monthly log book:</div><div><br></div><div>http://www.technomadia.com/the-finances-how-to-afford-it/</div><div><br></div><div>We don't identify as frugal travelers (or 'cheap' rv living) - so doing this as cheap as possible isn't our goal. &nbsp;But we are conscious consumers and buy only what we need and what works well.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>As we've been in a position of having tried a lot of mobile internet options (and Chris was formerly deep in the industry), we hope that by sharing our experience it might help others make the right choices for them. &nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>If a Sprint unlimited plan is working fine for your needs.. then great! &nbsp;We tried that method for quite a while, and didn't find it nearly adequate enough for our needs. Sprint's network is not nearly as wide as others, although they roam a lot onto Verizon towers when outside of urban and interstate areas.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Unfortunately, when they roam they do so at 2G speeds and cap you at 300MB per month. &nbsp;We did find that the Sprint unlimited plan under Millenicom ($69/mo) was better for us - as they don't enforce roaming data caps. &nbsp; But even so, for our needs, having access to more 3G+ in more areas of the country is worthwhile having a moderate cap on our bandwidth by going with a Verizon plan through Millenicom.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>For those not dependent upon on a reliable connection to the internet - there's no reason to need all the pipelines we keep available. &nbsp;For us.. it's essential.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Best wishes,</div><div>&nbsp;- Cherie&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

<P><FONT size=3>Thanks for stopping by and clarifying, Cherie!&nbsp; Love your blog, your new rig and all the great info you guys share!</FONT></P>

Their website was some very good reading... Bookmarked the booster kit, and knowing to get the older Hughesnet&nbsp; service is a hassle-saver.&nbsp; I plan on having a similar set-up,&nbsp; since I need to be online during stock market hours.&nbsp; <br>

Cyndi, thanks for bringing this up. I am going to be fully relying on unemployment (runs until February) and building my growing web based business. I have my fingers in a lot of things (ok I just made myself snarf my tea - maybe someday I'll explain) that are web based to make income. Part of that is running Second Life - which is going to require a decent connection. Most wireless connections seem to be able to handle it but I don't know about 3G or 4G. Has anyone else tried running a graphic intense program like SL or WoW on 3 or 4 G? Thankfully I'll only need to work 10 days a month to sustain myself depending on if I'm traveling at any given point and of course gas prices.<br>

Cherry - I play Eve online and have tested it against 3/4g before. It's not bad, but not always great either.It's not worth it when you're in remote locations. The real killer is how much of your data allowance you'll most like blow through. Like Technomadia said, you'll want to have more than one pipe to the net when you're on the road.&nbsp;<br><br>I was considering keeping my Systems Administration career going while on the road, but most of what's offered out there simply isn't reliable enough for what I do. To be perfectly honest I'm burnt out on the tech industry and am looking forward to starting a new career outside of the tech sector. Goat Husbandry sounds pretty exciting. Well, at least until they catch me at it.<div><br></div><div>Steve</div>

Hahaha, Steve! Nice.<br><br>I'll only need to use the graphic viewer when I need to move things around One of my businesses is selling virtual rabbits. Yes, intangible rabbits. They breed approximately every 13 days so I need to log in and pick up the babies blah blah. I can build low graphic space to keep the rabbits in so when I log in on that viewer I'm not loading much in the way of graphics aside from the rabbits. I can lower my bandwidth usage directly through SL. For my other SL work I can use a non-graphics viewer. The trade off there is I need to be able to Skype. I don't have an i-phone or any of that so 3g and 4g is foreign to me. I'm spoiled with FiOS right now.<br><br>

Nice! See that fits into my schedule perfectly. Not that it needed to but this'll make sense in a minute. You can adopt and refit it to suit your needs. Based on clothing, food, and water consumption I can last about 2 weeks (also the max stay in most state or ntl parks) when boondocking or pay camping. When I leave I'll come into town and stay at an RV park (w/full amenities) for a night or two. I can do all my laundry, empty tanks, internet spaceship piracy, and restock food and water.<div><br></div>

Latest posts