Grant's Shuttle Bus Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you keep an eye on craigslist you can get new tires cheap,guys buy a new truck,go home and put on new rims and tires and sell the stock ones

Do you have a staging area in which to work on this effort?

You can't live in it and do the conversion at the same time. Dragging out and securing your tools, the work area and materials will make for some frustrating times. Don't count on perfect weather either.

Well, I won't be driving out to SC. The owner, a commendable honest man, called me to tell me that when he got underneath it today there was a lot of rust, that all the belts and hoses had dried out, the brake lines were leaking, among many other things. He said that there was just no way he could sell that vehicle to someone who would be depending on it.

I told him I was very appreciative of his honesty, and wished him and his family a happy holidays.

On with the search.

OK, here is the next contender for my affection:

[img=343x257]http://images.craigslist.org/01717_3jESRiramXa_600x450.jpg[/img]

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5298374509.html

It is a 2009 Workhorse W42 with a 6 cylinder 4.5L turbo diesel. Research indicates that it is likely an International engine. I have also learned that Workhorse makes RV chassis as well. I did some research on the EGR issue and it doesn't seem that it would be that hard to fix. What I can't figure out is what kind of fuel mileage it would get.

I can use all those aluminum shelves (and the sheets of aluminum I will be cutting out of the sides for windows) to construct cabinets and stuff inside. However, that transparent roof will have to be dealt with. While I do want lots of light, I don't trust it to last without breaking down. Besides, I'll want something strong enough to walk on.

What do y'all think?

GrantRobertson said:
OK, here is the next contender for my affection:

[img=343x257]http://images.craigslist.org/01717_3jESRiramXa_600x450.jpg[/img]

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5298374509.html

It is a 2009 Workhorse W42 with a 6 cylinder 4.5L turbo diesel. Research indicates that it is likely an International engine. I have also learned that Workhorse makes RV chassis as well. I did some research on the EGR issue and it doesn't seem that it would be that hard to fix. What I can't figure out is what kind of fuel mileage it would get.

I can use all those aluminum shelves (and the sheets of aluminum I will be cutting out of the sides for windows) to construct cabinets and stuff inside. However, that transparent roof will have to be dealt with. While I do want lots of light, I don't trust it to last without breaking down. Besides, I'll want something strong enough to walk on.

What do y'all think?
I like this the best of what you have been looking at except for "[font='Bitstream Vera Serif', 'Times New Roman', serif]Runs and drives but smokes (white smoke)".  White smoke usually means water is getting into the combustion chamber (at least on gasoline engines).  There are others here that will know a lot more than I do about this.[/font]

Good hunting. :cool:

I'm a big fan of Step vans for space and ease of conversion....and I like standing up.

The down side is they are often in need of mechanical restoration.

White smoke from a diesel is often a cracked head or gasket, don't know much about IH diesels, but it would make me want to pay no more than 2800 for the rig.

Technician suggests it may be a rebuild? So? something is obviously not right...could be either (relatively) easy or a budget buster to repair.

That is a high GVW vehicle and looks to be running 19.5 tires- not something that is going to be "new take offs on CL" very often.

I have one work van with the translucent roof- coated it with white roof coating, still can't walk on it, but it doesn't leak....could always built a roof rack one could walk on.

You're gonna hate driving that thing. Clattery diesel just under that doghouse with all that aluminum will drive you nuts. The sliding doors will leak and hiss going down the road. That thing will make you go postal.

I like it, but a couple of red flags. first rebuilt motor and turbo with 180k miles, no way unless someone abused it. then the white smoke on a fresh rebuild. I agree with Karl something not right. highdesertranger

$4000 for a 2009? It makes me think that the owner knows that there are major problems.

BC Guy said:
$4000 for a 2009? It makes me think that the owner knows that there are major problems.
Yeah. I'm thinking the same thing. In my research I saw that others of that year are going for $10k - $17k. So this one is cheap but probably too cheap. Also, my research tells me that EGR problems cause black smoke, not white. So, either his diesel tech is an idiot or the owner is lying.

Thanks for the feedback.

Gary68 said:
what i saw in your area on the cheap

Yup. I've either seen all them or they are outside of my budget. Believe, me, I've got plenty more that are in consideration.

I will give this one another look.
http://killeen.craigslist.org/cto/5329294506.html
They must have lowered the price. I do like that the back doors go right up into the high-top.

GrantRobertson said:
Yup. I've either seen all them or they are outside of my budget. Believe, me, I've got plenty more that are in consideration.

I will give this one another look.
They must have lowered the price. I do like that the back doors go right up into the high-top.
Oh wait, no back doors. I was thinking of a different one that looked almost the same.

Ok, let's say I do go and buy this van for $850:

01313_aPypujeNSGP_600x450.jpg

And let's say it needs a "bit" of work...

What's most likely to be needed AND expensive? Could I end up saving money on the long run? Or is it more likely to be a money pit?

I can do most of my own work, other than pulling or replacing the engine (and that is only because I don't have the facilities). As I've said elsewhere, I'm not the best diagnostician, but I can turn a wrench and read a meter pretty well. There seems to be plenty of junk-yards around here to get cheap parts from.

When it comes to houses and vehicles, I am a firm believer in sweat equity.

As far as the body goes: It looks as if it will be tall enough for me to stand up in. I can see that it is extended. I can replace that glass, folding door with a regular RV door. It will be nice to not have to stoop to get in. I can replace the steps with fold-out steps to get back some ground clearance and move the steps outside, thus giving more floor space.

It is not as wide as I would like, but I can definitely see how this could be doable.

My first question would be, how long is "a while"? A few months or a few years or more? Does it even turn over?

GrantRobertson said:
Ok, let's say I do go and buy this van for $850:

01313_aPypujeNSGP_600x450.jpg

And let's say it needs a "bit" of work...

What's most likely to be needed AND expensive? Could I end up saving money on the long run? Or is it more likely to be a money pit?

I can do most of my own work, other than pulling or replacing the engine (and that is only because I don't have the facilities). As I've said elsewhere, I'm not the best diagnostician, but I can turn a wrench and read a meter pretty well. There seems to be plenty of junk-yards around here to get cheap parts from.

When it comes to houses and vehicles, I am a firm believer in sweat equity.

As far as the body goes: It looks as if it will be tall enough for me to stand up in. I can see that it is extended. I can replace that glass, folding door with  a regular RV door. It will be nice to not have to stoop to get in. I can replace the steps with fold-out steps to get back some ground clearance and move the steps outside, thus giving more floor space.

It is not as wide as I would like, but I can definitely see how this could be doable.

Is this one sitting in a junkyard?

OK, I have the guy a call. The current owner (CO) just bought it from a church. The preacher (P) said it ran when they stopped using it a few years ago. It has been sitting next to the church, sinking into the ground for about 5 years. The battery is bad but CO can tell it has new spark plugs cause the old ones are laying in the floorboard. It has a 460, fuel injected engine.

So, I know for sure it is gonna need all new tires, belts, & hoses. I'll have to flush the coolant and the gas tank. It'll need all new brake fluid and maybe new seals or cylinders all around. All new oil and transmission fluid. It'll need a new battery just to get it moving at all.

I can get a completely rebuilt engine for under $1500, though I don't know if I am up for that.