Grant's Shuttle Bus Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Luck with the bus.There are a lot of used shuttle busses around here.Some are very cheap.

Bob Dickerson said:
Good Luck with the bus.There are a lot of used shuttle busses around here.Some are very cheap.
Bob, where is "here"? I've got Craig's List searches covering all the major cities in Texas and everything seems to be $4k and up.

Grant you are seriously underestimating the cost to rebuild a diesel engine. I do find it strange that a 7.3 with only 200,000 mile has a compression problem. if you like that van I would look into that deeper, do you have a mechanic that you trust to go and talk with see what he says. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Grant you are seriously underestimating the cost to rebuild a diesel engine. I do find it strange that a 7.3 with only 200,000 mile has a compression problem. if you like that van I would look into that deeper, do you have a mechanic that you trust to go and talk with see what he says. highdesertranger

That's what I was afraid of.

I know almost no one here in Austin. I have no idea what mechanics I could trust. So far, I have done almost all my own work on all of my cars. With the exception of one mechanic in Lawrence, KS, the few times I have dealt with mechanics, I have been either ripped off or it was so obvious they were lying to me that I just turned around and walked out.

By the way. You guys are always saying to have a mechanic look at a vehicle. How the heck does that work? I just can't imagine any seller letting me take their can to a shop, and I can't imagine any mechanic making house calls without charging an arm and a leg.

have the vehicle owner take it to a mechanic of your choosing. of course it has to be reasonable to the vehicle owner. I mean your mechanic shouldn't be 100 miles away. it always helps when trying to find a mechanic to know a little something about vehicles this helps weed though the ones taking advantage of you. don't be afraid to question them, also don't be afraid to haggle the price, but be respectful that the mechanic has to eat also. highdesertranger

Hi Grant,

I got a recommendation for Kenny Hill Autoworks in Austin for checking out camper vans.  Maybe they could help with these busses you are looking at.

Treehugger

Treehugger said:
Hi Grant,

Your NADA value for that van is closer to $2200, not the $3500 the guy is asking for it.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1999/Ford/Econoline-E350-Wag-V8/Super-Duty-Extended-Wagon/Values

Remember, there are no passenger seats.  It cannot be valued as if they are there.

Treehugger
Thanks, Tree. Considering how terribly "rough" that thing is, then I would go with the lowest end value in the report, $1500. But I don't think I will ever get that guy to come down that far. He is depending on that $3500pm to help his wife start a business. However, that's $3500 I don't think he will ever get.

Bob Dickerson said:
Grant,I'm in Arkansas.Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.
They have sheep in Arkansas? Are you sure they aren't just big rocks? [emoji12]

Seriously though. I wonder why everybody wants so much for shuttles down here? Of course that is just my luck. I guess if I have to, I could drive out of state to pick one up. But then there is the extra trouble to make sure I'm not gonna find crap when I get there.

GrantRobertson said:
Seriously though. I wonder why everybody wants so much for shuttles down here? Of course that is just my luck.

That's a variation of Murphy's Law.  After spending months weighing the pros and cons of all the various options you have, once you make your final decision, your choice will be neither inexpensive nor readily available where you happen to be, but will be plentiful and cheap somewhere else in this great country of ours.

Regards
John

well it's cheap, not much of a description. I thought you wanted a diesel? highdesertranger

I am also starting to look at many other possibilities, just because shuttles are so few and far between. Everything from a cargo van (extended length and super high top) to a box truck, to a step van. School buses are my absolute last resort.

I am very handy, so I don't need a high top already on a van. I could tolerate a regular height van for a while till I could find or build a top the way I want it.

The end goal is room for a stand up shower, actual counter space, permanent cook top, lots of windows, room for a permanent desk. And hopefully even room for a wood stove. I can make any modifications necessary to get from what I buy to what I want. I expect to use a lot of electricity so a larger roof is better. However, gas prices aren't going to stay low forever. So, big box and step trucks are less preferred, even though they are such a dream to build in.

Gary68 said:
patients will be your virtue
I do not have that luxury. I will be loosing my place to stay soon. I just don't know how soon. If I buy anything larger than a van, I can't park it in front of my son's house. HOA rules. So, I am in a perpetual state of shopping while saving one more paycheck to maybe get something better, while not wanting to jump unless it is worth making the switch sooner than I loose my housing.

I have to keep exploring all possibilities right up to the last minute.

have you been checking auctions of all type?

local government will be on their website,towing companies website,local consignment company also check newspaper classifieds people still use them and good ol' autotrader

Latest posts