Grant's Shuttle Bus Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary68 said:
local government will be on their website,towing companies website,local consignment company also check newspaper classifieds people still use them and good ol' autotrader
I live in Austin. I've been to the state surplus store. They said they almost never get shuttle buses. Though, I didn't ask about extended length vans.

Thanks for the other ideas.

GrantRobertson said:
Oh, oh, oh! Take a look at this one.

Work Van with sleeping quarters Ford 1 Ton Dually

http://collegestation.craigslist.org/cto/5297781062.html

After looking at that rust bucket, a while back, I'm really lovin' that ALUMINUM and fiberglass body. I just sent an email asking to come see it.
This one called me back today. He was a really nice and honest guy. As soon as I told him my plans he warned me that it had a big block in it and only got 6-8 MPG, plus the tires are dangerous old and will need to be replaced right away.

So this one is on the back burner for now.

I think I am going to put this thread on sabbatical for a while. The more I think about it, the more I think I should start out in a regular van. While I really, REALLY want all the windows that are in a shuttle, I think I need some of the other benefits that come with regular vans:

• Better stealth.
  • I can park it in front of my son's house without the HOA going nuts.
  • Better gas mileage.
  • Easier drive-ability - both in town and off road.
I am starting a new thread about what kind of van I should get and actually finding said van here: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Grant-s-Van-Quest

GrantRobertson said:
I told him my plans he warned me that it had a big block in it and only got 6-8 MPG, plus the tires are dangerous old and will need to be replaced right away.

First...don't tell them ANYTHING about what your plans are. It's none of their stinkin' business! (I know, I know...you're just being a nice guy...but I'd still keep that info to myself.)

Also, seeing that you're in limbo about your living situation, I wouldn't be too terribly picky about the van. Big block, small block, new, old...doesn't matter.
What matters is: can you afford it, and will it fit your present needs??

Once you have a rig, and have moved in, then you can see: a.) do you even WANT to pursue the 'living in a van' way of life,
and b.) if a.) is true, then what's it going to take to get to where you're happy with the rig you've got, or do you need to find another that suits you better...and then fix that one up to fulfill your wants and needs.

In the end, I may just go for a cheap, small RV as my first vehicle. Rather than think of it as a long-term home, I will see it as merely a collection of components that happen to come with a truck to easily haul them around. The RV only needs to be marginally liveable to be better than where I am living now. I will also be able to get RV insurance straight away, without going through the conversion rigamorole for title and insurance.

Once I am actually out on the road, instead of being tied to a job and a town, I can open up my search for a shuttle bus and be able to travel to where it is to look at it. Then, when I find a shuttle, I can strip what I need out of the RV (sinks tubs, tanks, & stuff), selling the rest for scrap.

OK, I got a link to this shuttle from a friend on this board:

00g0g_lm1TuiD19rt_600x450.jpg

https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/5318557937.html

The owner is asking $1000. He says the rear brakes need work and all the tires are old. I asked him for the tire size and looked on Craig's List in his area. I can get a set of four used ones with good tread for $150. New ones are only $100 each. He says the engine is a fuel injected 460, v8. He says there is very little rust underneath. I believe him. He seems like a trustworthy guy.

I like that the windows are flat, so I can easily replace them with double-pane windows later. Or even just add my own second pane as I would do in a regular house window. You will notice that he has cut a hunk out of one side, in an attempt to make a vending window. He was trying to make this into a hot-dog food-truck. He gave up and decided to buy a trailer that was already fitted out as a food trailer. I can live with that for now and then replace that span of metal and reinstall the windows, which he kept.

I am seriously tempted to go pick this thing up, sell my car right there in the same area, swing back by to pick up my stuff here in Austin, and then head out to RTR. I will have no gear, no solar, no nothing. But I will have about $3k - $4k after tires and gas and selling my car. As I will be passing through half the country to get from SC (where the shuttle is) to AZ, I can check Craig's List ads all along the way to try and get needed gear on the cheap.

Due to the angular design of the body, I already know that I am going to paint it to look like an original Star Trek shuttle. I could even make inflatable tubes to look like the nacells on the side. They would serve as a great way to keep the cold winds from blowing underneath.

The gas mileage on that motor is not very good. 7-8 mpg maybe.

Perhaps there are others on this board who can give accurate figures for that vehicle.

66788 said:
The gas mileage on that motor is not very good.   7-8 mpg maybe.

Perhaps there are others on this board who can give accurate figures for that vehicle.

Yeah, I've about given up on worrying about gas mileage so much, right now. Almost every shuttle that I look at has a larger engine and gets under 10mpg. Once I know how much my finished rig weighs, and once it is time for a new engine, I might be able to get by with something smaller.

I know gas prices will go back up as soon as the Saudis have bankrupted all the small oil drillers here in Texas and Kansas, but In don't really plan to drive it that much once I am "on the road." I did some calculations one day, comparing the cost of driving my current car, with 19mpg, and a scooter with 50mpg. I determined that I would save only $120 per month at $2.50 per gallon. And that is commuting 585 miles per month.

Yes, 16mpg is twice as good as 8mpg. But it is also only $156 difference per 1000 miles at $2.50 or $117 per 1000 miles at $1.87 per gallon.

And if I paid an additional $3000 to get a shuttle with better mileage, I would have to drive it 25,641 miles to make up the extra original cost (at $187 per gallon).

if its not a rust bucket and runs and shifts smooth and if you have $1000,jump on it now it wont last long, homeless insurance policy

do the brakes a little clean up and interior and you should be able to flip it for a profit if you dont like it

rear brakes =drums turned/new,pads,springs,wheel cylinders,when you pull the drum off take a picture so you can put it back together,easy job

what kind of work do the brakes need?? Did he give you any real details to work with??

Shoes and fluids are one thing, but buying and changing out rotors, or getting the old ones turned, can turn into some real money.

...however, for the money, this looks like a fairly good deal. (I DO like that it's fuel injected. that'll help with the mpg's) +

Keep us posted!!

yea,looking at the pictures you need to get this thing,barring massive undercarriage rust or bad drive train

Patrick46 said:
what kind of work do the brakes need?? Did he give you any real details to work with??

Shoes and fluids are one thing, but buying and changing out rotors, or getting the old ones turned, can turn into some real money.

...however, for the money, this looks like a fairly good deal. (I DO like that it's fuel injected. that'll help with the mpg's) +

Keep us posted!!
I just called him again. He said he thinks it's just the cylinders. Not the calipers. Just the cylinders, which he said will only cost him $15 each. He said he plans to look at them this weekend and fix whatever needs fixed. It sounds as if he is intent on NOT selling an unsafe vehicle.

I just talked to my "team lead" at work and he said it wouldn't be a problem for me to take several days off to go pick up this shuttle. Perhaps I could go get the shuttle, come back here and work a few more weeks, then head down to AZ for the RTR.

well I will say this about the tires, 100 buck dually tires are cheap Chinese tires. I would not skimp on tires for a dually, expect to pay 200 bucks apiece for decent tires. also if the wheel cylinders leaked you also need brake shoes and you better turn the drums. highdesertranger

Latest posts