gov hiring freeze

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsun

Reaction score
I guess this means those of us looking for a job in national parks/forests are SOL?

[font='Graphik Web', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]President [/font][font='Graphik Web', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Donald Trump[/font][font='Graphik Web', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] has signed an executive order freezing all federal government hiring except for the military, making good on a promise from his campaign. [/font]

[font='Graphik Web', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...mposes-freeze-on-federal-hiring[/font][/SIZE]

Good question. I'm in favor of the ban in the sense that government bureaucracy needs to shrink, but that would suck if it trickles down to park care and management...

I think there's a good possibility it applies only to full time hires.  Part-time, seasonal employees are probably already in this years budget.  And of course, many of the positions aren't with the government itself anyway.  Contractors run many of the concessions.

I'm hoping the worst case scenario would be something along the lines of using "volunteers" that get free camping w/amenities instead of traditional "employees"; ... but as OP posted, most positions are through concessionaires rather than through the government itself so the freeze would probably have little affect.

I'm in favor of them cutting anything that doesn't effect me!!!!!  Now I'll take my tongue out of my cheek.

None of the money that pays campground hosts in campgrounds run by concessionaires in NF or BLM campground comes from the US government. The concessionaires pay all the expenses and at the end of the year pay the government a percentage of the income and do in-kind service of the campground. That's determined by competitve bid.

Now that is a relief. 

Rest of comment withheald.  :angel:

Only 1 co worker has freaked out about this. I work at the post office. Wouldnt hurt for a freeze. Maybe they can get their managing in order.

As a seasonal Federal employee, I wonder if this applies to being asked back -- I understand it does not involve all the paperwork of a new hire.

Rumor has it former government employees which means vets and people who have had a seasonal jobs will not be affected, however last time this was done Human Resources people quit in mass because of work overload when hiring started again and my paperwork was held up 6 weeks beyond my start date, so no work till the paper work goes through. This is the busiest time for NPS Human Resources so a bad situation has been made really worse.

I detected a hint of political spin in the Utah news. Again, hiring freezes are typical as are layoffs of temp employees and downsizing. I worked for both private industry and the federal government (2 different agencies) and it is time to be running the government more like private industry. I found it so frustrating to see how our tax dollars were being wasted. Often all is needed is justification of the positions and that seems more than fair because I have seen it get out of hand.

Just because the government has inefficiency and waste does not mean that private business model is the answer.

Look at the world around you, been built on corporatist influence...certainly efficient at transferring more and more wealth to the top.

The fact that NPS has been using thousands of "seasonal" employees for years which means no or little job benefits for employees who have been doing this, many for years, means the NPS is trying and failing to get their job done but is financially unable to get the job done. If NPS was a private business it would have gone bankrupt and taken over a long time ago and compete with Disney. A lot of the seasonal jobs are fee collection gate jobs, maintenance cleaning, and project construction jobs that can only be done in summer months. It's no wonder park administrators are so upset by the fact they will be unable do what little they could have done to save our parks.