Cheap solar panels from China to end?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
[font=Arial, Georgia, sans-serif]ITC Votes In Favor Of Imposing Tariffs On Cheap (Chinese) Solar Panel Imports[/font]

[font=Arial, Georgia, sans-serif][img=40x40]http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/pictures/picture-5.jpg[/img]
[size=small]by Tyler Durden
Sep 22, 2017 11:50 AM

SHARES
TwitterFacebookReddithttp://www.zerohedge.com/printmail/603994http://www.zerohedge.com/print/603994
[/font][/size]
[font=Arial, Georgia, sans-serif][font=lucida_granderegular, Verdana, sans-serif]In a decision that could potentially have a profound impact on US trade policy, the US International Trade Commission has ruled that a flood of cheap, foreign solar panels is unfairly hurting US manufacturers, creating the opportunity for President Donald Trump to follow through on his protectionist campaign rhetoric and impose tariffs and import quotas as soon as November.[/font]
[font=lucida_granderegular, Verdana, sans-serif]If Trump imposes the tariffs, what would be his second significant protectionist act targeting China since approving an investigation into the country's controversial IP policies that some[size=small][font=lucida_granderegular, Verdana, sans-serif] view as tantamount to starting a trade war.[/font]http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...-war-china-signing-memorandum-chinese-ip-laws Tariffs would upend the $29 billion US solar industry, according to [font=lucida_granderegular, Verdana, sans-serif]Bloomberg[/font]. More expensive prices for cells and panels would hurt demand for solar potentially reversing a trend of growing demand that has persisted for much of the past decade. Even before the Friday vote, some developers had halted construction and begun hoarding supplies, anticipating that tariffs could double the price of imported components.[/font]

[font=lucida_granderegular, Verdana, sans-serif]The ITC is now set to deliver its recommendations to address the import surge to the president by Nov. 13, handing him an opportunity to score political points on three priorities: He can slap a tariff on China and argue he’s protecting US jobs, all while undermining an industry that competes with coal, an energy that Trump cultivated close ties with during the campaign. The ITC's vote gives Trump a measure of cover to impose the sanctions.[/font]
[font=lucida_granderegular, Verdana, sans-serif]The case was inspired by Georgia-based Suniva Inc., which filed for bankruptcy protection in April and followed up days later with the trade suit. The company is seeking import duties of 40 cents a watt for solar cells, and a floor price of 78 cents a watt for panels, which currently average about 32 cents worldwide. The US unit of German panel manufacturer SolarWorld AG joined Suniva to argue that the company had been driven to bankruptcy by a global glut of cheap cells, an industry dominated by China. Unlike earlier trade cases, this one would apply on U.S. imports from any nation.[/font]
[font=lucida_granderegular, Verdana, sans-serif]Shares of First Solar popped because it’s panel technology would be excluded while shares of other solar companies tumbled. [/font]
[font=lucida_granderegular, Verdana, sans-serif][size=small][font=lucida_granderegular, Verdana, sans-serif][img=500x263]http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user245717/imageroot/2017/09/18/2017.09.22firstsolarchart_0.JPG[/img][/font]http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defa...root/2017/09/18/2017.09.22firstsolarchart.JPG[/font][/size]
[/font][/size]

solar is getting too popular, gotta put a stop to that.

That's about same as what i thought, bardo.

Funny they turn their sights to solar, out of all the stuff that comes in on endless container ships ...

we're going headfirst into the 20th century!

Make it illegal to be self-sufficient in power.

Save all those coal jobs!

I saw the article in msm also. The legislation is a cross between protectionism and clamping down on a citizens ability to be independent/self sufficient.
Most likely it will pass.

I'll tell yah what gets me... and I am very much guilty of participating in it !
I buy many china items online because they are affordable.
The vendors offer free shipping, included in the price. I depend upon that.
Now, someone might want to have a look back through policy and legislation and find out who and when certain china manufacturers can fabricate products, present them free of charge to china postal service, they are then flown over the puddle, and delivered to my doorstop by OUR postal service !
I can not count how many items I have bought for LESS than it would cost me to mail a fat letter across town !
Next, try fabricating some small device, ( an electric pickup for a cigar box guitar, eg. ), and discover how much it costs to mail it to a buyer in the Eurozone, for example !
wheels

When I bought the three panels for the roof of my trailer there was a tariff going to be imposed soon. Back then they said get it now because the tariff would affect not just the panels but even the controllers and even parts and materials too. Prices came up and then dropped even lower than before the tariff.

wheels said:
I can not count how many items I have bought for LESS than it would cost me to mail a fat letter across town 

The reason is pretty simple.  Mostly, labor expenses.

In China most assemblers of our beloved goods work 7 days a week, 12-16 hours/day and are paid by the month.  Most estimates put their hourly rate at somewhere between $0.50 and $2.00.  And don't even think about getting paid PTO, OT, sick leave, holiday pay or having workers comp. protection. No time off to vote, and no OSHA with any teeth.  Admittedly, things are improving, slowly, in some industries -- but they were so far behind...

We all (myself fully included) turn a blind eye to this when purchasing because we are on a limited income and/or want a good deal on excellent quality goods.

The cash work is certainly improving their family's lives compared to the previous rural / agricultural work.

Luxuries like developed-nation health safety environmental regulation will come eventually as they develop further.

Our challenge is preventing our own population's bottom 60% living conditions from further declining into third world conditions, as the natural market forces' tendency is to "even everything out".

Sounds like most of us didn't actually read the article.

This is not American legislation, nor does it ban or outlaw solar panels, nor is it a vast conspiracy by the electric companies.

It's a simple basic trade issue.

It is an exceptional protectionist ruling by a government agency.

It benefits no one other than those opposed to the speedy conversion to renewable energy sources.

Sanctions are for punishment, but protectionism is anti-globalism

I haven't seen any sanctions coming, just (potential) tariffs to (ostensibly) help American companies and workers. From what I have read, China has plenty of them on US goods (e.g., Jeeps made in Ohio cost $30K more in China due to tariffs).

Regardless of what each of us thinks from a political perspective, I think it's a good time to think about buying panels!

Whats the difference between sanctions and tarriffs? Who puts them in place....

How about charging for the **real** costs of oil, gas, and coal - plus the 'insurance' risks.

I think I know a little about the cost of oil.
Back when I did that, a good ole boy told me, " The only thing that has changed since they began producing oil in Pennsylvania is production methods have improved. Gas was a nickel a gallon then. "
That was way before I learned of M. King Hubbert.

Well, that 'insurance' word can ruin just about anything ! No one should assign responsibility for their actions to someone else.
Those who would force someone to do so are criminal, not to mention the fraudulent scenario they have created.
wheels

I started looking into buying panels today. It looks like the American manufacturers will be best for my use. I have limited real estate room for panels. High efficiency and a good life guarantee are over riding factors to the best cost.

Note that many panels are "assembled" as labeled but I think 99.9% of the actual photovoltaic cells are Chinese.

True for many goods categories, and forcing companies to assemble here will cause a lot more harm to consumers in higher prices, than the few jobs "brought back".

Buy shares in robotics companies. . .

My panels are American assembled but the cells are grown in Taiwan. They were new and came with a 20 year warranty IF the company still exist by then.

eVansdale said:
I started looking into buying panels today.  It looks like the American manufacturers will be best for my use.  I have limited real estate room for panels. High efficiency and a good life guarantee are over riding factors to the best cost.

Edit add by a reply.

Slick sales talk implied that high efficiency panels were USA made.  Unfortunately not true.

Sigh.