30% imported solar panel tariff

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True

Complaining about how it happened just means that you are not dealing with the fact that it did happen.

I saw that Tesla will be selling its panels and Powerwall at Home Depot. Their panels are made from all imported components, but robot assembled here in the US. So they are not subject to the tariff.

Let no good deed go unpunished.
Ted

Glad to hear Tesla will be selling thru Home Depot. Unless my math is wrong the PowerWall seems to be the best off the shelf lithium ion system going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tesla will be hawking complete grid-tie only systems from a booth manned by their own sales staff... full non-competitive retail prices from a preferred HD vendor in exchange for $$$ kickbacks from floorspace rental.

The niche Tesla exploits the best is solar/off-peak charging for sell back at peak rates - a model born in California where charging the powerwall overnight at off-peak rates and squirting it back into the grid when kilowatt hour rates double makes the system pay for itself, at least on paper...

Anyone know what specific chemistry its cells are?

My understanding was they are using Panasonic 2170 format rather than the 18650 NMCs in their vehicles, but it's likely they also tweaked the chemistry.

They are very risky wrt to thermal runaway risk once you start breaking the big packs apart, and since they're designed to output very high voltages, expensive high-amp chargers and converters, and reverse-engineering on the BMS is likely needed for mobile low-voltage House bank usage.

They also definitely won't last nearly as many lifetime cycles as LFP.

WalkaboutTed said:
I saw that Tesla will be selling its panels and Powerwall at Home Depot.  Their panels are made from all imported components, but robot assembled here in the US. So they are not subject to the tariff.  

Let no good deed go unpunished.
Ted 

Good, I thought they should be about 40% cheaper. Give me 2 small narrow 300w panels for cheap: "Come to Papa."

Home Depot is really calling the shots on solar panels: good for them. The good thing with them is they bulk ship for better material handling than Amazon using UPS; plus you can pick and filter out the best pieces on top of that  :D :D  It's the only way to go!

So far renogy prices are up a bit but not up %30.

Primal1 said:
I've been trying to find out where Renogy is made, I've seen USA and China claims, but can't seem to find an answer on Renogy's site.

They are made in Siam.

wagoneer said:
I STILL HAVE THE ARCO 25 WATT PANEL I BOUGHT 25 YEARS AGO.

How is it doing? Is it putting out %80 of its rated power on really sunny days?