If you are Thinking of Buying Solar--NOW May be the Time

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slynne said:
Alas, I am not going have a vehicle in time. 

As for clean solar, I may be pollyannish but I have faith in American ingenuity. I think that we can develop a way to manufacture solar panels cleanly and cheaply in the USA. As an armchair economist I know that in addition to the bad effects of a tariff (higher costs to consumers, retaliation in the form of tariffs on our exports, and a loss of comparative advantage efficiency), some good will come from a tariff. It will at least give solar companies an incentive to invest in R & D of ways to manufacture solar panels cheaply and without harming the environment.

Still, it might be an incentive for me to put a solar panel cart in front of my van horse. Maybe I will at least get one of those portabe "suitcase" panels just in case?

One of the big ways that we could do that is to spend tax dollars on solar projects and put solar credit incentives back. In fact that'd be better for US companies than doing a tariff.

It appears that at least some of those firms which would be negatively impacted by such tariffs have articulated what the impact would be on them - I wonder if they've sent that message to the White House via paid messenger (lobbying) through their trade group?  It seems as though this would affect the financial health of companies selling controllers, regulators, and analysis hardware (thinking of things like the Trimetric battery monitor here), batteries to store solar power, as well as those selling solar panels like Renogy.  

Is it fair to think that they might be actively opposing the matter or is it possible that they're simply stockpiling in anticipation and hoping that it doesn't happen, but not putting significant effort into stopping it?  

The net effect of such a move would be quite significant to the economy in the USA and elsewhere.  Trump seems to have demonstrated a fairly narrow focus economically thus far - perhaps indicating a lack of understanding or appreciation for the interconnectedness of the global economy at this stage (not trying to be political here - just stating what seem to be facts!) and it might be helpful for those affected to register the effect(s) that matter would have on them in a fairly vigorous fashion.  

Given the present mood on Capitol Hill with respect to reining in Trump on some issues, would there be merit in contacting members of congress to register a person's sentiments one way or the other?

Check out the VA Hospital in Amarillo. The government is buying solar panels somewhere. Might be interesting to see where all those were made,

I wonder if there are any at Mar-a-Lago. It's in sunny Florida.

closeanuf said:
Check out the VA Hospital in Amarillo. The government is buying solar panels somewhere. Might be interesting to see where all those were made,

I pass that facility often in my trips there.

Its pretty impressive!

If you ever pass thru Truth or Consequences NM, check out the WalMart store...the entire parking lot is covered with steel awnings that are covered with solar panels...I think I heard it was 20 million dollars worth!

That's a LOT of solar!

have you seen what China is building?

55eebae03104b.jpg

solar_farm_floating_china_power_plant_sungrow_1.0.jpg

panda_solar_farm.jpg

meanwhile we're talking about more coal....we're going head first into 2nd world

The town where I live has really jumped on the solar bandwagon with a non profit that is helping people install panels on their homes. I am going to talk to them about getting some before these tariffs hit.

Bardo, can I steal that top picture and post it over in the 'holy grail' thread?

Or you can do it...

Might be her 'solution' too...

:cool:

I read an article about solar panels. The USA imposed a 250% tariff on Chinese solar in 2012. But the main reason Chinese panels are gone is due to the failing Chinese economy. Some of their largest solar manufactures are going bankrupt.

tx2sturgis said:
Bardo, can I steal that top picture and post it over in the 'holy grail' thread?

Or you can do it...

Might be her 'solution' too...

:cool:

yeah its just a google pic

Weight said:
The USA imposed a 250% tariff on Chinese solar in 2012.

The basic problem with tariffs, is that when we impose a tariff on imported manufactured goods, the affected country just turns around and imposes a tariff on our raw material exports to their country.

Yeah, some jobs or companies might be protected, for a period of time, but later, the effects bounce back when other jobs here are lost due to declining demand for the raw products we export.

It's a game for politicians to win votes that year, nothing more.

china buys very little, it's one of the major problems we have with them

Chinese companies moved their manufacturing to other west pacific countries and got around the tariffs.