Got My Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandelay1965

Reaction score
Been looking for a while and finally pulled the trigger on this '98 Ford E350 one ton. Since I'll be living mostly up on the high narrow overgrown forest roads, I needed the lowest-height van with the highest possible ground clearance plus stand-up room inside, with a lot of windows for scenic wildlife fun. I went with extended Ford because the wheelbase can handle deep ruts and dips better than the longer wheelbase Chevys and GMs imo. I also wanted 4x4, but you can't always get what you want (sing it with me!). So this is pretty much what I've been looking for...  

When I got it it had a wheelchair lift, a roll bar welded to the frame (carpeted!), wheelchair tie downs bolted to the floor, two benches, and a white box labeled "Human Fluid Containment" (empty).

Got no takers for the lift and benches (or the fluid containment box) on eBay or Craigslist, but found a mobility company here in Missoula to remove/keep them and cut out the roll bar at no cost. Good deal. And the red wire from the lift is still in place to power the house battery from the engine.

Also removed the pinstripes (to be replaced by forest pinstripes) and seat belts, and had screened windows installed in the high top for ventilation instead of a roof fan (to avoid adding more inches to the height).

I'm starting to work on the interior this week. But first, a night out in the empty shell southwest of Superior, MT, on 7822 off 320.

Why I chose a window van....the sun set out this window, while the moon rose out the other side.

Wonderful find! I'm really happy for you! And I'd love to be in Montana! Looking very much forward to seeing your build happen.

I'm looking for a van similar to that one. Why cut out the roll bar? Is it too nosy to ask what you paid for it?

Headache said:
Wonderful find!  I'm really happy for you!  And I'd love to be in Montana!  Looking very much forward to seeing your build happen.

I'm looking for a van similar to that one.  Why cut out the roll bar?  Is it too nosy to ask what you paid for it?

Thanks! I cut out the roll bar because its only use would be to build cabinets, and I prefer open space in the middle of the van. I'll build overhead storage above the front and rear, under a half-bed box, under a table/desk, and under a small sink cabinet. Plus a couple of tied-down bins. That'll be plenty.

Ahhh, the price. I'm in the middle of a dispute with the seller (a "certified" dealer) and can't really talk about it for now. That said, it's a '98 with 90k miles and a good history as a highway-driven fleet-maintained van from new. I was looking for something exactly like this with a budget of around $10k, if that helps. With the dearth of this exact type of van (Ford, extended, windows, <100k miles, good history, specific high top, etc.) I figured I'd have to add a premium if I wanted to buy a van this century, haha! Anyway, whether or not I receive any compensation back from the seller, I've already put this situation behind me and intend to just enjoy this van.

I wish it were mine!

BTW... several people here have said that it costs more to license, insure (etc) a 1-ton because it's considered commercial. Is that true in MT?

Nice view. All I've got are houses.

nice rig. I would have left the roll bar. but it's not mine it's yours. congrats and good luck. btw we need pics of the conversion. highdesertranger

Thanks, all.

Headache, I cut out the roll bar because its only use would be to build cabinets and I prefer open space in the middle of the van. I'll build storage above the front seats and up top in the rear, under the half-bed box, under the table/desk, and under the sink cabinet, with room to build floor-to-ceiling storage in the back if needed later. That'll be plenty. As for the price...I'm in the middle of a dispute with the seller (a "certified" dealer) and because I signed a contract to get a partial refund, I can't talk about it publicly for now. If it gets resolved maybe I'll add it later.

Frater, it's between 6'1" and 6'2" inside currently. Considering insulation options that will maintain at least 6' interior height (I'm 5'10"). Current floor includes 1/2 inch plywood subfloor and rubber mat, and the roof is double-hulled, so there's some insulation already.

Train, not sure about extra costs for a one ton. Neither the DMV nor AAA charged more for registration or insurance than I paid for my Subaru Outback.

Highdesertranger, I went back and forth on the roll bar but opted for more air space instead of cabinets. It's too late to take your advice now, but curious as to why you'd have kept it if other than cabinet building.

I'll post more pics as I go....

Good looking van. What is the mileage on it? I had considered a 97 E350 extended that was pretty much ready to go. Finally decided to pass on that model though.

well besides the obvious of using it to attach things. it is after all a roll bar. if you were to ever end up on your side or top that fiberglass high top will be gone faster then beer at a frat party. highdesertranger

Great find indeed, nice high top! I want to add sliding windows to my high top too. Congrats!!

Dennis, it's got 90k miles, and a good one-owner background with mostly highway miles in AZ.

sweet! and the windows in the high top was an excellent idea

Wow this is really a great find! I'm a big fan of window vans, although a lot of people I know like the solid-side vans for stealth or whathaveyou. My new van is a 350HD cargo, but the dealership registered it as a passenger van - much cheaper and it might be easier to insure that way for some people.

SWEET! Man I am drooling! Love the Gold coloring...LOVE more the forest shot...Oh hurry day I retire....