Finally Got a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraz627

Reaction score
After over a year found a pretty decient Van. Its a 2001 E150 with 85k, verry little Rust for The rust belt.

Now the BAD.
I was previously a Handicap Van, the Lift has been removed, however it has a low floor (about 3.5 ") from behind front seats to the wheel boxes.
the area of the drivers seat is also lowered. Which make the Brake and Gas a bit difficult to use. The drivers seat is on a latch system and not easily adjustable, I think it was designed to be removed (its on rollers) and a wheel chair can be latched in its place.

I would like to raise the floor in the drivers seat area, and install a regular seat, however Do not want to pay a fabricator to do this, I could build a platform of wood, installed in front of the drivers seat to make pedal operations a bit more easier to use.

any one out there run accross this situation?

Thank

Here is a good opportunity to add a good thickness of floor insulation when building up the floor height. I believe Lowes sells rigid polystyrene insulation up to 2" thick, with regular flooring over the top of it.

Post up some pictures. I want to see what you are talking about? What did they do with the frame when they lowered the floor? I would think real hard about bolting the driver seat to wood. I take it no air bags? How are the seat belts mounted? Highdesertranger

It might be ok if he/she still use the proper grade longer bolts and goes into the regular frame mounts for the seats.

But mounting seats ONLY to wood is asking to be elected in an accident.

highdesertranger said:
Post up some pictures.  I want to see what you are talking about?  What did they do with the frame  when they lowered the floor?  I would think real hard about bolting the driver seat to wood.  I take it no air bags?  How are the seat belts mounted?  Highdesertranger
Give me a bit, I have never posted Pics on this site. 
On this site is method Two the best way to post photos?

Hope this works, Wasn't planning on bolting the seat to wood, just a platform to better control gas and brakes.

Attachments

• 20210524_100307.jpg
    20210524_100307.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210524_100316.jpg
    20210524_100316.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210524_100448.jpg
    20210524_100448.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210524_100519.jpg
    20210524_100519.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 18
wow what a trip I have never seen it done that way. I remember the Dodges that they dropped the center of the floor down but that was between the frame rails. Is there anyway to get a pic from underneath so we can see the frame clearances? I am guessing all the seat belts are mounted to the seat? Highdesertranger

I googled The conversion company "Universal", they do limited mobility vans, tried contacting them left messages no response. Yes the seat belts are in the seat. In the door stickers it was shiped as an "incomplete vehicle". So the conversion is a professional one. Im guessing the drivers seat could be removed and a wheel chair could be straped in. I felt up under, and the floor hieght of the passenger seat in higher than the drivers seat. The conversion company in there web site says it lowers the floor pan.

You might be able to simply put some larger diameter wheels on it and extend the latches to get it where you need it to be.

The seat Hieght is correct. The issue is the operation of the pedals. (1st pic) there is almost no place to for the heel of a foot to rest.
I was thinking of a simple platform just to rest my foot.

So, the issue isn't raising the seat, but rather getting a place to rest yoru heel when using the gas pedal, and being closer to the brake pedal? Seems that should be fairly easy to accomplish... maybe weld in a raised floor?

kklowell said:
So, the issue isn't raising the seat, but rather getting a place to rest yoru heel when using the gas pedal, and being closer to the brake pedal? Seems that should be fairly easy to accomplish... maybe weld in a raised floor?
If it were me, I'd rather have the whole floor area match with the foot-pedal (s).  More like a "non-handicap" Van.  I sure don't know what that would cost though so there's that to think about.  

I'm thinking it will be awesome to see not just these photos, but the "afters" too!  People here have such amazing ideas, it's wonderful to see what they can figure out ;)

G0ldengirl68 said:
Could something like this work?
I think for now I'll just cut a 4x4's to place in front of the removable seat.
The van was equiped with a lift and self opening doors, so the body portion of the latch is missing and most of the junkyards here strip the vehicle and scrap the body, just got back in town so will start working on it very soon. 
There is also a vaccuum tank under the rear bench seat, I think for the door opening system.
The van was factory equiped with as ford calls it "AFT of AXLE secondary fuel tank" and a rear AC system.

My local Mechanic is replacing the floor panels in an older model truck.. I would bet my next pay check you could do the same..

He is also using some special glue, that will bond them together similar to the of bonding to pieces of wood together with tight bond..

If you would like.. I can get the information for you.. honestly replacing the floor panel is not the difficult of a job.

fraz627 said:
I think for now I'll just cut a 4x4's to place in front of the removable seat.
The van was equiped with a lift and self opening doors, so the body portion of the latch is missing and most of the junkyards here strip the vehicle and scrap the body, just got back in town so will start working on it very soon. 
There is also a vaccuum tank under the rear bench seat, I think for the door opening system.
The van was factory equiped with as ford calls it "AFT of AXLE secondary fuel tank" and a rear AC system.
Sounds good, glad you found something that you can be a Nomad in ;) or whatever you would love to do ;)