Good morning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess we had some rain last night too but I didn't notice it.

So far I've found two good places to park out of town alongside the road... good, meaning flat with good cell reception. Plenty of other places where there's cell reception.

No critters bothering me.... this far. Went to town this morning for food and coffee.

Cammalu said:
Maki there seems to be a rash of small trailers stolen lately. I read about a Casita yesterday in Tuscan I believe. The thieves cut the lock off.

I have a cargo trailer that I’m thinking might benefit from one of those removable hitches that HDR has.
My hitch is welded on so too late for that. But while it might make someone feel safe to have one of those it would not make my trailer any safer from theft.

Besides my trailer is so lightweight that if it were unhitched it could be easily dragged with a winch onto a flatbed trailer. Or then could hook tow straps to it.  It won't matter what kind of hitch receiver I put on it or what kind of wheel locks either. My bet bet would be to install an electronic tracking device in a very discreet location in the trailer with enough independent battery power to keep it going for several weeks and have a vehicle tracking service that monitors it.

All the lightweight trailers are vulnerable which is why there they get stolen. But at least my trailer is not a generic white color, one of thousands of the same look, make and model out there on the road. It will get noticed and remembered. I am not sure why everyone seems to think being white and generic is such a great thing. That just makes recovery about as difficult as finding a polar bear in a snow storm. Be sure that your cargo trailer at the very least has some type of easy to identify graphics on it such as unique stickers, decals, pin stripes. Something the drivers behind including the cops can identify it with. That way even if they change plates on it there is something unique that can be quickly identified by an officer who comes up behind or beside it.

Clear and 41 this morning in the canyon. No pesky animals in camp last night so a great night's sleep was had.

The WeBoost is helping, but it appears I did not order all the required parts for the antenna, so back to the drawing board on that.

Happy weekend, everyone!

I'm sitting in the sun. Nice day here in OR. My rodent companion left scat so NOT a small mouse but thankfully smaller than a rabbit. He dined on the hand creme this time. -crofter

crofter said:
What is your setup, mounted on roof rack?  -crofter
Right now it's just attached to the side of the van via the magnetic bottom. I want to be able to take it on and off due to the extensive wire runs through the window.

Woke to 37 degrees this morning, a tad lower than the forecasted low.  But rain is in the forecast for the next few days so I may have to break camp to head into town in order to work if I don't get enough solar juice. No genny yet in my set up.  I'm tearing down any non essentials today so that I don't have to pack up wet to head out on the weekend.  Fun times! 

Have a great day everyone!

SheketEchad said:
Right now it's just attached to the side of the van via the magnetic bottom. I want to be able to take it on and off due to the extensive wire runs through the window.

Woke to 37 degrees this morning, a tad lower than the forecasted low.  But rain is in the forecast for the next few days so I may have to break camp to head into town in order to work if I don't get enough solar juice. No genny yet in my set up.  I'm tearing down any non essentials today so that I don't have to pack up wet to head out on the weekend.  Fun times! 

Have a great day everyone!
The marine stores have some decent quality thru the deck mounts for antennas.

Hello.. nice day in the forest but I know temps will fall about 10 degrees next week. Just talked to my daughter... she says they're ready to move out of the skoolie... there's 4 of them ... they're looking forward to cabin life in the forest.

I boondocked in a secluded spot last night.. no cell phone access though. Seems like so far the only places I find like that don't have cell service. Still looking.

I like white as it is cooler but I always thought it would be a good idea to paint the license plate number in large letters on the roof, especially if it is tall enough not to be noticed.

bullfrog said:
I like white as it is cooler but I always thought it would be a good idea to paint the license plate number in large letters on the roof, especially if it is tall enough not to be noticed.
good idea as long as you have the roof space for it.

Good weather ahead and that is putting a smile on my face. I am eager to get back to work on my build. First priority, maybe Weds or Thurs after things dry out is to get the shell properly bolted down to the new frame. The take the trailer next door to a level parking lot next door to measure for the new stinger. The old frame had an extended height on the tongue coupler so I need a different stinger for the ball.

A balmy 50 this morning in advance of the flash flood warnings up on high. Glad I'm out of the canyon even though I dislike RV parks. Only a few more days until Quartzsite bound!

Terrific Tuesday to all...

48 degrees on Hood and raining with those dark grey skies that just seem to stay. Lows are in the 30's this week. Frogs have not hibernated yet and bears and lions are still running around. Do lions hibernate? Don't think so.   -crofter

Sadly, the lions are awake during winter. Lovely afternoon reading next to the Klamath River... Some rain but I saw some sunshine. A brief golden respite from misty gray. Feeling like a happy, well adjusted vandweller right now.

Hello and good morning. It is getting colder here in the Klamath River Valley. Today I am shower seeking... I will go to the house I rented for my daughter for that - she still isn't here - and I have a meeting to attend this evening. Hot coffee, a Clif Bar for breakfast... seems like everything is going according to plan . . . . my latest approach to the cold mornings is to ignore the cold and do it anyway (get dressed, turn on the van, and get out of there.) I boondocked at a highway pullout next to the Klamath River last night. I'm getting nervier... last July I wanted only to sleep in places not visible from the highway (a winding 2 lane highway through the mountains next to the river) . . . and now my priority is to have cell phone receptivity. I'm sleeping in different places every night (sometimes repeating but not consecutively) ... wonder if Forest Service will ever consider me over my dispersed camping stay in the area - at which point I could resort to staying on private property as I've had quite a few offers already.

Roadside pullouts are not under the control of the Forest Service unless you are on a national forest service road. At least that is my understanding.

Thanks Brian - that is good to know. That helps... because they are becoming my best place to park, for the cell phone service. Nobody around here seems to mind that - of course, it is normal to see travelers in RVs of all types parking all over this region. It is a recreational area, especially because of the gold prospecting.

travelaround said:
 I could resort to staying on private property as I've had quite a few offers already.
Getting a sunny day here in the 50's.
@TA You might want to develop one of those private spots, that could be a good resource for you. The ones that include caring for animals can surely limit your travel options, can't just pick up and go. I don't regret my time with the dogs, even tho I do miss a few gatherings.  -crofter

The sun peeketh out after much rain and wind to beat the band! Now if only the BBQ joint actually opens today!
Currently 51 and sunny, but still windy.