going back on the road... but need some help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donavin629

Reaction score
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; ">hey everyone.. all last summer i was kind of forced to live in my truck because i got sick and i lost my apartment.. i am self employed so my bills piled up as well.. i picked up the pieces and im pretty stable right now.. still no home really.. been crashing in a hotel and working like a mad man to pay off my debt... well i have to be honest and say i had a great time when i was on the road.. it was pretty crazy and disorganized for a while.. but every day was an adventure.. it was just me and my dog so i had a blast in the parks when i was not working.</span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; "><br></span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; "><br></span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; ">well i want to do that again but my problem is figuring out how to have electricity and climate control.. its getting hot in texas and my dog is an old man so i want to make sure he is comfortable when he is on the job with me.. or if i just need to run into the store for a min .. i do have a good battery that i ran an inverter for and was able to use my laptop but i want to take it to the next level and make my truck pretty comfortable .. more for my dog than me.</span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; "><br></span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; "><br></span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; ">just here looking for ideas</span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; "><br></span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; "><br></span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; ">i have an 05 chevy trailblazer extended cab and i have all the seats out the back and some plywood on the floor so i have a place to sleep.</span>

<FONT size=3 face="times new roman, times, serif">Try checking out a 12volt K9 swamp cooler.&nbsp; They run off of minimal battery juice,&nbsp;and are pretty cheap (like 150 bucks).&nbsp; I found one for 40 bucks on Craigslist a few weeks ago, but didnt get it.... I just checked my local area CL for it, but it was gone.&nbsp; Just found a link for you. <BR><BR></FONT><A href="http://www.swampy.net/swamp-cooler.html" target=_blank target=_blank><FONT size=3 face="times new roman, times, serif">http://www.swampy.net/swamp-cooler.html</FONT></A><BR><BR><FONT size=3><FONT face="times new roman, times, serif">If just using one battery, Id get a Battery Brain III&nbsp;(50 bucks). It wont let the battery go dead, to the point where ur unable to start it.&nbsp; I have a more thorough opinion on it somewhere on this site.</FONT> </FONT><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=3 face="times new roman, times, serif">Get a matching amp solar panel and you'd be golden. <BR></FONT><br><P>&nbsp;</P>

I love 4x4tour's suggestyion, and would add, if you have the cash, try to get a deep cycle battery or two so you don't use your starting battery. They're not designed to be discharged a lot, and you will eventually kill it, not to mention they don't really last that long, a couple hours perhaps. <br><br>If you're only running a couple things, like the swampy cooler, which I just read could run for a couple days if noting else is drawing power as well, and a laptop you're golden. I'm sure that you wouldn't be running it 24x7 as you won't always be in the vehicle with your dog, and you'd want to shut it off at those times.<br><br>A couple deep cycle batteries, and you're looking at running your laptop and a swampy for a long time before worrying about recharging the batteries.<br>

<p style="margin:0in;font-family:Calibri;font-size:11.0pt">thanks for the suggestions... i will look into it. .. currently i have this battery <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8042-218-YellowTop-Purpose/dp/B00075OSDS" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8042-218-YellowTop-Purpose/dp/B00075OSDS</a> and a 750 power inverter that connects to the battery or cig lighter.. it runs my laptop and other small stuff.. </p> <p style="margin:0in;font-family:Calibri;font-size:11.0pt">&nbsp;</p> <p style="margin:0in;font-family:Calibri;font-size:11.0pt">I also need to figure out how to keep my food cold.</p> <p style="margin:0in;font-family:Calibri;font-size:11.0pt">&nbsp;</p> <p style="margin:0in;font-family:Calibri;font-size:11.0pt">I work out a lot and I will be using the gym as my shower..etc.. So I try to prepare 6 meals a day.. Currently I use fry most my food in a pan or use a toaster oven.</p> <p style="margin:0in;font-family:Calibri;font-size:11.0pt">&nbsp;</p> <p style="margin:0in;font-family:Calibri;font-size:11.0pt">Im thinking of buying a 5x8 enclosed trailer and making that my office/sleeping area.. Just don’t know if I want to lug that thing everywhere I go.. I will be crashing in walmarts..etc</p>

<P><FONT size=3 face="times new roman, times, serif">I had that same Optima on my van.&nbsp; Only 55 reserve capacity if I recall?&nbsp; Its VERY low.&nbsp; My old Xantrex 1000 watt modified sine wave inverter would always drain it quickly for just a quick microwave tea heating. <BR><BR>What battery box size do you have?&nbsp; Mine is a group 65, so I went with a Sears Platinum P-2 (military agm) battery with 135 reserve capacity. Its made by <B>Odyssey</B> for Sears.&nbsp; Supposed to give an easy 10 years worth of&nbsp;use, and&nbsp;has&nbsp;a 5 year free replacement.&nbsp; I think the Group 27 is has more R/C, as well. <BR><BR>I then installed 2 more on the passenger side frame rail, installed a <B>BLUE SEA 7622</B> relay (which I feel is&nbsp;a <B><U>MUST ADD-ON</U></B> for all of you)&nbsp;and solar. <BR><BR>1. Get&nbsp;another optima, the blue sea relay and the swamp cooler and you will not need anything else.&nbsp; Driving for 20 mins will keep them all charged.&nbsp; </FONT></P><FONT size=3 face="times new roman, times, serif">2. For fridge/freezer, I use a super efficient 12V Engel.&nbsp; It uses like 2 amps, so it would run with your swamp cooler with no issues to the battery(s).&nbsp; It's pricey, but durable as hell.&nbsp;<BR></FONT><BR>&nbsp;<BR>