Do I really need to tint the windows?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is an old thread...but just a heads up on window tint. I read last year in the local paper to beware if you think tint is keeping people from seeing into your vehicle. All you have to do is hold up your cellphone camera to the window and the screen will show you the interior clear as day. Works like a charm in my tests on my Honda HR-v with factory tint.
I think that is possible either with a strong light or a cell phone or some other method to see inside the van. However my van have dark ceramic tent it’s difficult to see inside but what’s important to me as I can now hang curtains and that blocks out anybody being able to see inside without people seeing that I have curtains which would mark me as a Van person van living person

I'll mention the film I have on my south facing windows. It is a 3M product that adjust with temperature to allow sun's heat in or reflect it.

When it is above a very warm temperature outside, it's chemical structure adjust to screen out sun's rays. When below a certain temperature point it reverses the process.

3M Window Film

I'll mention the film I have on my south facing windows. It is a 3M product that adjust with temperature to allow sun's heat in or reflect it.

When it is above a very warm temperature outside, it's chemical structure adjust to screen out sun's rays. When below a certain temperature point it reverses the process.

3M Window Film
My dog adjusts for heat when in front of the fireplace, he rolls over...

Here is my research about tinting (lower number is darker tint)

By state, front side windows:
None at NJ, NH, VT, Mich
70% in CA, Alaska, DE, Iowa, NY, PA, RI, DC
rest: 50% or darker is OK

back and rear: 35-40%, except NY PA RI (70%). Minn 50%

https://tintwiz.com/window-tint-laws-by-state

So for west coast, 70% on front, and 40% on back is universally OK.

Cost for different technologies:
polyested dyed film < carbon < multilayer < ceramic (3 times of film)
https://hi-techcaraudio.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-tint-car-windows/