Do I really need to tint the windows?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, john*thomas. I'm undecided about the front windows but think it may be a good idea for the back. I'll get prices on both.

I didn't have any tint added to the windshield of my minivan when they did the limo tint on it. I have found that visibility out of the back window at night is less than ideal for me with the deep tint on it. (I'm old, so there's that, lol.) Seriously, the minivan has a backup camera which is invaluable when maneuvering out of parking places after dark otherwise I might be in a world of hurt.

When I talked to a man at a tinting company yesterday, he said, "Everything but the windshield and sunroof." (I don't have a sunroof in any case.)

I've come to see it as an anti-theft investment, a little privacy when I haven't gone to the trouble of installing all the shades at a quick stop. But we'll see if it gets done.

I saw a video yesterday of a Prius traveler who keeps his back shades in 24/7 and has a camera displaying his rearview on his rearview mirror. I don't even have a backup camera...

It’s not my area of expertise, but have you looked into those camera’s that RVs use? Our Travel Trailer has a camera on the back we use. Gives us a view of right, left and center. Convenient when wanting to change lanes or backing up to a camp spot. Ours came with the camper but I would guess Amazon or any RV dealership would have them.

I made an appointment to get the windows tinted, now am having second thoughts - realize I don't even know what level of tint they have now. (Internet was not helpful.) Figure I will keep the appointment and ask him to tell me then.

I would tint as dark as you can with all rear windows according to what's allowed (usually ~30%), which is dark enough. The fronts are what causes issues with LEO's, so be cautious there. Probably dont want to tint the 2 front side windows much at all or at most 35% and nothing on the windshield. 

Tinting greatly improves your sealth look, with or without reflectix. The tint basically provides some additional privacy and hids any mess inside, but also (and more importantly) hides your window coverings imperfections that are a dead giveaway someone is living in there.

We see tinted windows every day, it rare (and odd/suspicious) to see what looks like foam or aluminum foil on peoples windows.

But will they know neighboring states laws? Will they even care what the states laws are? I have had tint shops go way darker than legal. Is he never leaving that state? If he is, other states laws can become an issue if you drive through them. The "i comply with my state" doesn't always work with LEO's. 

O how i wish i could just disappear into the woods never to return to this ridiculous over policed reality.

As a wise man once said "Trust but verify"

Ripper238 said:
I would tint as dark as you can with all rear windows according to what's allowed (usually ~30%), which is dark enough. The fronts are what causes issues with LEO's, so be cautious there. Probably dont want to tint the 2 front side windows much at all or at most 35% and nothing on the windshield. 
35% on all windows is what's legal in this state. Wondering if it's even worth it ...

No limo tint on the rear windows? That 35% sounds like the front windows only.

Look around at cars in your area and see if that is enough. You can only tell by looking. The window tint shop guys should have their windows tinted, look at them.

Sara in a Prius said:
35% on all windows is what's legal in this state. Wondering if it's even worth it ...

That's not super dark, but still good and would be safe in just about any state. But i would have thought they would allow for darker on the rear? Thats where its more important.  

[size=medium]Ether way 
[/size]the 35% tint will provide some additional privacy and make the strange looking reflectix in the windows less obvious from any passer by. 

If you park and sleep in any semi public area i would say it's worth it. If not, its just personal preference. When you go to the shop they will show you how dark it will look. But keep in mind its mostly there to take attention off the details of what's inside [size=medium](man/woman, someone living in [/size]their or just messy), not make it invisible.  

I really did not like having rear window tint last time I had it.  FWIW.
-crofter

Yeah, 35% all windows...

https://www.tinting-laws.com/oregon/

I have Reflectix for reflecting heat but a black cloth side for stealth/privacy.

Tinting would be more like a layer of protection for mid-day rest stops, when I won't be putting in the full shades.

Sounds like it will be dark enough for that but light enough for easy driving. Or maybe it will be too dark for driving and too light for protection and I will have wasted more money...

I'm a fan of tinting. It adds privacy and keeps the car cooler.

Update: I did it. Even at 35%, the tint is dark enough for shade and a bit of privacy but light enough for easy driving.

And it looks snazzy.

Glad you did it! You'll never want to have a car without tinting windows again. Lol

Sara in a Prius said:
And it looks snazzy.
The way that sunglasses make a person look cool and slightly mysterious, you just did that for your car.  We were trying to convince you to do it for practical reasons and if just one of us had mentioned that it would make your car look neat, it might have saved you some time.  Se la vie.

SR