Do I really need to tint the windows?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really have a dark tint but I have the regular shade of tint (not too light) and I still prefer it since during summer I feel like it's also protecting my skin from the direct sunlight especially my arms.

for me yes, to protect yourself as well from the heat of the sun and having some privacy.

I did 5% behind the b pillars and then put cheap windshield sun shade on all windows. You would have to go up to the windows with a flashlight to tell they are blocked off. And with a crystal clear wide angle 1080p rear view camera and 12" screen rear view mirror dashcam, I don't even need to use the rear window so it's blocked off too. Nobody is seeing in my car unless they realllly try.

20211215_220830-1.jpg

Attachments

• 20211215_220830-1.jpg
    20211215_220830-1.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 108
Sounds like OP doesn’t live in sunbelt because driving a car without tints in S. FL is unbearable. Never had a car without tints and every car I’ve owned it’s the first thing I and do dark 5% typically.

I have ceramic tint on all my windows so it doesn't get too hot inside my vehicle. With the tint, my SUV should never be hotter than the outside temp.

I have ceramic tint on all my windows so it doesn't get too hot inside my vehicle. With the tint, my SUV should never be hotter than the outside temp.
Are you sure this is true?
With my (insulated) window covers on, the interior temperature of my van will eventually exceed the outside temperature if parked in the sun.

Are you sure this is true?
With my (insulated) window covers on, the interior temperature of my van will eventually exceed the outside temperature if parked in the sun.
Yes, I'm sure it's true. Medical grade ceramic tint stops 99% of UV rays and 98% of the sun's heat and infrared radiation from ever entering the vehicle. Your window covers don't do that. All they do is reflect some of the heat back after it's already in the vehicle. I used insulated window covers before I got the tint and the difference is night and day. I'm still going to use my insulated window covers for privacy though, especially on my front windows.

Here's a summary on this website (http://shine-techs.com/medical-grade-tint/):

MEDICAL GRADE WINDOW TINT​

If you are looking for the highest level of UV protection for your interior (and more importantly your skin) look no further. Manufactured by Xpel, our Medical Grade film provides SPF 1,000 protection that effectively blocks over 99% of harmful UV rays that can lead to numerous skin cancers, premature aging and skin cell damage while blocking 98% of its heat and infrared radiation. We chose to work with Xpel because their films are backed by a transferrable lifetime warranty from discoloration, fading, bubbling, peeling, cracking, and delamination. In the past, keeping cool meant darker shades however the ceramic technology in the film allows the highest performance without sacrificing clarity and color. The nano-ceramic particle technology does not interfere with radio, cellular, and Bluetooth signals like traditional metalized films.

That's really your call. I think you probably won't want to be driving your car with all the windows blocked, i.e, you'll use the Reflectix window covers for privacy when parked, so if you want extra privacy for what's in the back of your car without popping in the window blocking shades, you might want more tinting there.

I had my minivan a few weeks before deciding I wanted that additional tint on the back windows to keep people from seeing what I have in the back of the van when it's parked, as well as to help reduce heat. The sun is bright and hot here in the summer. The tint was worth it to me, might not be worth it to you.

I had a struggle with my Reflectix window covers. I have no future making YouTube videos of my crafting skilz in action. Just saying. :D Made a template of each of the windows using cardboard, then cut out the Reflectix using those. I got some black fabric that I glued to one side of each panel, and finished the edges with black Gorilla duct tape. But I ran out of fabric halfway through, and it was awkward working with the stuff. I ended up doing the rest of the panels with self-adhesive black shelf liner. It sticks pretty well to the Reflectix, and I used black Gorilla tape around all the edges as a finish and insurance against it all falling apart. Except for two oddly shaped back windows (minivans, oy!), I can use the window coverings with either the Reflectix sides facing out or the black sides facing out. The black side facing out is ultimate stealth, especially behind the tinted windowsI

That's really your call. I think you probably won't want to be driving your car with all the windows blocked, i.e, you'll use the Reflectix window covers for privacy when parked, so if you want extra privacy for what's in the back of your car without popping in the window blocking shades, you might want more tinting there.

I had my minivan a few weeks before deciding I wanted that additional tint on the back windows to keep people from seeing what I have in the back of the van when it's parked, as well as to help reduce heat. The sun is bright and hot here in the summer. The tint was worth it to me, might not be worth it to you.

I had a struggle with my Reflectix window covers. I have no future making YouTube videos of my crafting skilz in action. Just saying. :D Made a template of each of the windows using cardboard, then cut out the Reflectix using those. I got some black fabric that I glued to one side of each panel, and finished the edges with black Gorilla duct tape. But I ran out of fabric halfway through, and it was awkward working with the stuff. I ended up doing the rest of the panels with self-adhesive black shelf liner. It sticks pretty well to the Reflectix, and I used black Gorilla tape around all the edges as a finish and insurance against it all falling apart. Except for two oddly shaped back windows (minivans, oy!), I can use the window coverings with either the Reflectix sides facing out or the black sides facing out. The black side facing out is ultimate stealth, especially behind the tinted windows.
I want to cover my Reflectix with fabric. Hadn't thought of shelving paper. My issue is that I have to be in a city for a few months+/- and Reflectix "screams" stealth camping. I was at my daughter's for the holidays, staying inside do to the cold, and got a "notice to impound". I am a Class B Camper Van, so I hope that the dark windows would invite less inquiries and nervous neighbors, unlike the oh-so-shiny Reflectix. Can I have some opinions please? Thank you!

I want to cover my Reflectix with fabric. Hadn't thought of shelving paper. My issue is that I have to be in a city for a few months+/- and Reflectix "screams" stealth camping. I was at my daughter's for the holidays, staying inside do to the cold, and got a "notice to impound". I am a Class B Camper Van, so I hope that the dark windows would invite less inquiries and nervous neighbors, unlike the oh-so-shiny Reflectix. Can I have some opinions please? Thank you!
Why is stealth necessary? Are you breaking any laws? There are a few cities that have areas where large vehicles cannot park. There are a few cities where it is against city ordinance to sleep in a vehicle. My county prohibits RVs from parking on any street from 11pm-6am.

If you know you're violating a law: arrive late in the evening, don't be a nuisance in any way (keep quiet, keep the lights off, don't park in front of someone's house, don't dump any fluids outside, etc), leave early in the morning, and don't park in that same spot again.

Most cities don't have a large enough problem with vehicle dwelling to enact restrictive laws. If you're not breaking any rules, there is no need to be stealth. We have the right to be there as much as anyone else, no need to hide. I frequently hang out in the parking lot of malls after I've done my business there (Home Depot, grocery store, laundromat). I converted a passenger van, so I have windows all around, I only put up my window coverings when I want privacy.

I do zero camping, all of my activities are in cities, towns, and suburbs. Based on my experience, here are the passerbys' thoughts:
95% won't notice the van at all.
4% will look and wonder if the owner is a van lifer.
1% will look and wonder (and a tiny segment will try to ascertain) if someone is currently in the van or not, but they will not base that on the color of window coverings.

Why is stealth necessary? Are you breaking any laws? There are a few cities that have areas where large vehicles cannot park. There are a few cities where it is against city ordinance to sleep in a vehicle. My county prohibits RVs from parking on any street from 11pm-6am.

If you know you're violating a law: arrive late in the evening, don't be a nuisance in any way (keep quiet, keep the lights off, don't park in front of someone's house, don't dump any fluids outside, etc), leave early in the morning, and don't park in that same spot again.

Most cities don't have a large enough problem with vehicle dwelling to enact restrictive laws. If you're not breaking any rules, there is no need to be stealth. We have the right to be there as much as anyone else, no need to hide. I frequently hang out in the parking lot of malls after I've done my business there (Home Depot, grocery store, laundromat). I converted a passenger van, so I have windows all around, I only put up my window coverings when I want privacy.

I do zero camping, all of my activities are in cities, towns, and suburbs. Based on my experience, here are the passerbys' thoughts:
95% won't notice the van at all.
4% will look and wonder if the owner is a van lifer.
1% will look and wonder (and a tiny segment will try to ascertain) if someone is currently in the van or not, but they will not base that on the color of window coverings.
Truth be told... I had tried to look up the local laws, but some sites are easier than others to navigate. And there is the level of legalese to read. Sigh.
Thank you!

I did tint, which I love and wish I'd done years ago. My window covers are Reflectix covered with matte black fabric, so not shiny. This does eliminate any reflectiveness, but with the tint there wasn't much of that.

Truth be told... I had tried to look up the local laws, but some sites are easier than others to navigate. And there is the level of legalese to read. Sigh.
Thank you!
Just call local law enforcement and ask. They'll know the law and you may be able to coax out of them how stringent enforcement is (read: where to park).

Could you post the inside and outside temps that the thermometer you used to be sure happened to read?
No, I can't. The guy who installed my tint demonstrated the temperature difference in my SUV with a heat gun. I don't remember what the temps were.

You can go to YouTube and search for ceramic tint vs regular tint by Texas Tint Master. They demonstrate the temperature difference between the two. My tint is even better than that but it's still a good demonstration of what ceramic tint can do.

I wouldn’t bother with tint. I made black out window covers (reflectix w/ flat black cloth laminated to outside) for my Sienna. I assumed I would remove them each morning but haven’t in the 7 months I’ve been living in it.

I wouldn’t bother with tint. I made black out window covers (reflectix w/ flat black cloth laminated to outside) for my Sienna. I assumed I would remove them each morning but haven’t in the 7 months I’ve been living in it.
Black out window covers are great, a must in one form or another (I use reflectix too). But the big plus with tint as an addition is the way it can hide the window covers and anything else inside with out 100% obstruction. Looks really nice vs the covers only.

Welcome houdqeen and jamebritt. How about introducing yourselves in the newcomer section?

Both of you signed up in April and only posted once in this section on the same day on the same subject, and have similar IPs....

Hmmm???

I know this is an old thread...but just a heads up on window tint. I read last year in the local paper to beware if you think tint is keeping people from seeing into your vehicle. All you have to do is hold up your cellphone camera to the window and the screen will show you the interior clear as day. Works like a charm in my tests on my Honda HR-v with factory tint.

I will add a couple things to this dead thread:

1- Ceramic tint does the best job for heat, but its expensive, about 2x the price of a basic tint.
You can clear ceramic your windshield and it really does help with uv/heat gain. I wouldn't do it because of windshield damage and thus losing the pricey tint.

2- Tint laws are pretty much ignored unless the LEO is looking for an excuse to pull you over and if so he/she will just find something else. So other than blacking out your vehicle glass, you can pretty much do what you want. Note - if moving permanently to a state with vehicle inspections, you may want to wait till you get there to tint.

If I had a dollar for every tint violation vehicle around my area I'd let the government keep my SS check for that month. Bet I'd come out ahead..