Any considerations when blocking windows with walls?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seal

Reaction score
AKA passenger van, and I dont want windows. They are currently have a black out tint so I was thinking just continue the wall over them and insulate the same way I would anywhere else. Has anyone done this? Would that cavity be anymore susceptible to moisture than any other cavity behind the wall?

Any gasketed window can leak. The other issue is condensation. But it is your vehicle so your choice of what you want to do with it.

AKA passenger van, and I dont want windows. They are currently have a black out tint so I was thinking just continue the wall over them and insulate the same way I would anywhere else. Has anyone done this? Would that cavity be anymore susceptible to moisture than any other cavity behind the wall?
I've seen people do that. I always wonder about condensation, but then I always wonder about condensation, which is why my cargo van has no added insulation or walls. Also I think it is a dead giveaway that someone is living in the van, if that matters to you.

Just keep in mind what would happen if one of the 'walled over' windows should ever get broken (rock, etc.). I believe most side windows would require access from the outside AND inside of the van to replace them.
YMMV

Permanently enclosing the windows in a passenger van in an asthetically pleasing way is complicated because the walls are already nicely finished. The simplest way to achieve your desired outcome is with insulated window covers. They block out light completely and function as a thermal barrier. You can leave them up permanently or remove them easily as desired. Furthermore, it preserves extra width that would otherwise be lost if the windows were boarded up.

I've used Van Essential covers for almost two years. Prices of professionally made covers have come down considerably. They're still not cheap but I certainly couldn't DIY anything close to as nice. It's money well spent in my opinion.

Latest posts