Do I really need to tint the windows?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara in a Prius

Reaction score
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I was assuming I would, but why would I [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]need to[/font][/size][/font][/size][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] tint the windows if whenever I'm parked I use the Reflectix or stealth window covers?[/font][/size][/font][/size]

If you have window covers, I don't suppose you would have to. I don't suppose you have to at all if you don't want to.

For me, the only real reason to tint windows is that it makes it a lot harder for people to see you. My experience is that tinting doesn't really do much to make it dark inside.

Sara in a Prius said:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I was assuming I would, but why would I [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]need to[/font][/size][/font][/size][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] tint the windows if whenever I'm parked I use the Reflectix or stealth window covers?[/font][/size][/font][/size]
Need is a strong word.  Tinting can be seen as a good investment.  It's always there, it's more discreet than Reflectix and can give you slightly more shade while in transit.  Of course at night if you have light inside reflective tinting loses it's two way mirror effect so Reflectix or some other opaque barrier is needed to maintain stealth.  You can do both.  As far as heat is concerned tinting adds a extra layer of protection.  Make sure you know the laws from state to state regarding tinted windows before you spend money.  Nothing worse that buying it, paying a fine and having to remove it.

^^What Scorpion Regent said.

I had the windows in my minivan tinted. The main reason was to make it more difficult for passersby to look into the vehicle when it's parked and see what's inside, especially in the area behind the front seats. Another reason was that the minivan has so many windows it's like a greenhouse and I wanted some help keeping it cooler. The installer was familiar with our state laws. I got the "limo tint," which is pretty dark on the back/side windows but not as dark on the windows by the driver and front passenger seats.

The tinting's not a substitute for the window coverings I made (Reflectix on one side and black fabric on the other), for sleeping/camping privacy use.

I did the limo tint on teh minivan and both Subarus I owned in the past.
First it was so nobody could see if I had valuables inside.
Later when I was living out of the Subaru it came in handy that I could park in a quiet residential neighborhood without being obvious.
Visible Reflectix screams "I'm living in this car".

Calaverasgrande said:
Later when I was living out of the Subaru it came in handy that I could park in a quiet residential neighborhood without being obvious.
Yeah, what he said.

Calaverasgrande said:
Definitely. I'm planning on covering one side of the Reflectix with black fabric. With that, would tint be worth it?

Better than dark tint is cut block off panels to fit your windows. That way you have good visibility and stealth (you don't look like a car dweller if you don't have tint) and TOTAL privacy. Get some brown wrapping paper at the dollar store and some Elmer's brand black craft panels from Walmart. The Elmers brand costs more than the dollar store panels, but they are much more durable and the core foam is black, verses being white with the dollar store panels. So if the black outer material starts wearing off, you still have black.

Cut of a piece of the wrapping paper large enough to cover the window. Hold the paper onto the window in the center of the window. Don't let loose from this position throughout the process. If you have a helper, let them hold the paper onto the window as you trace the corners of the window. Now cut where you've traced. Use this as a pattern to cut the Elmers black panel. Now cut along the lines with a box cutter, jig saw, coping saw, shears ... whatever you have that works. You'll now have panels that press into the windows to give total privacyand almost total light blocking - even in a well lighted parking lot.

If you have trouble removing the panels, use a car key to pry out a corner.

Sara in a Prius said:
Definitely. I'm planning on covering one side of the Reflectix with black fabric. With that, would tint be worth it?
Reflectix works because it reflects heat.  Black as a color absorbs heat.  Heat protection vs. stealth, tough choice.

Sara in a Prius said:
I'm planning on covering one side of the Reflectix with black fabric. With that, would tint be worth it?

That's really your call. I think you probably won't want to be driving your car with all the windows blocked, i.e, you'll use the Reflectix window covers for privacy when parked, so if you want extra privacy for what's in the back of your car without popping in the window blocking shades, you might want more tinting there.

I had my minivan a few weeks before deciding I wanted that additional tint on the back windows to keep people from seeing what I have in the back of the van when it's parked, as well as to help reduce heat. The sun is bright and hot here in the summer. The tint was worth it to me, might not be worth it to you. 

I had a struggle with my Reflectix window covers. I have no future making YouTube videos of my crafting skilz in action. Just saying. :D  Made a template of each of the windows using cardboard, then cut out the Reflectix using those. I got some black fabric that I glued to one side of each panel, and finished the edges with black Gorilla duct tape. But I ran out of fabric halfway through, and it was awkward working with the stuff. I ended up doing the rest of the panels with self-adhesive black shelf liner. It sticks pretty well to the Reflectix, and I used black Gorilla tape around all the edges as a finish and insurance against it all falling apart. Except for two oddly shaped back windows (minivans, oy!), I can use the window coverings with either the Reflectix sides facing out or the black sides facing out. The black side facing out is ultimate stealth, especially behind the tinted windows.

Our home base is in Texas and the heat in summer is brutal. Getting into a vehicle that’s baked in the sun is unpleasant. From sitting on the seats to touching the steering wheel. We don’t even debate anymore about paying for getting the darkest tint available by law. We also always had the front windshield reflectix.

Now that we have started traveling and exploring we have reflectix for all the windows in our vans, this protection is for privacy. For us I guess both options are for different reasons. Heat and privacy.

I have also watched many, many videos on window coverings in conversions. Functional, decorative and so on. It’s a choice you can ponder on and then personalize to your little home.

JoshPigeonFeather said:
(you don't look like a car dweller if you don't have tint)
I don't think tinted windows means car dweller to most people outside of this community.
Lots of people get their windows tinted for privacy, to control heat or because they like how it looks.
Nearly everyone with an SUV in New York has limo tint on the back.
Also pretty much everyone under 25 in the Bay Area with ANY kind of car.
Had to wait 2 weeks to get my windows done when I lived in Oakland. It's that popular. All the places were booked up.

TooFarGone said:
I think you probably won't want to be driving your car with all the windows blocked, i.e, you'll use the Reflectix window covers for privacy when parked, so if you want extra privacy for what's in the back of your car without popping in the window blocking shades, you might want more tinting there.

Definitely no driving with the shades in! You raise a good point - quick stops (at say, a rest stop) would benefit...

MrsBackRoads said:
We don’t even debate anymore about paying for getting the darkest tint available by law. 
Thanks! Do you find the tint on the front windows interferes with driving?

No not at all. The driver side and the passenger sides are a bit lighter than the back. Kind of reminds me of a sunglasses tint on front two windows. It’s done that way by law I believe. Don’t quote me on that but every vehicle we have done is the same.

MrsBackRoads said:
  It’s done that way by law I believe.  
State laws vary.  Does anyone know what state has the most draconian laws in regards to tint?

Scorpion Regent said:
Reflectix works because it reflects heat.  Black as a color absorbs heat.  Heat protection vs. stealth, tough choice.

Exactly. That's why I want reversible window covers. Thanks for all your help with this!

MrsBackRoads said:
No not at all.  The driver side and the passenger sides are a bit lighter than the back.  Kind of reminds me of a sunglasses tint on front two windows.  It’s done that way by law I believe.  Don’t quote me on that but every vehicle we have done is the same.

Good to know. Someone - I believe it was Suanne but I could be mistaken - said that having a tint on her front windows made night driving more difficult. (Yes, by law, the front is lighter than the back.)

Sara in a Prius said:
Thanks! Do you find the tint on the front windows interferes with driving?

You didn't ask me but it does for me. When I have had windows tinted in the past I have used a light tint on front window. Having older eyes the tint did make it harder to see at night. When I was younger it was fine.