What is The Most Fuel Efficient Cargo Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"
Ford Transit, cost to own: https://www.edmunds.com/ford/transit-van/2019/cost-to-own/
Total for 5 years, $56,369. Fuel is $17,680 of that, or 31% of the total."

This estimate is for a new vehicle. The breakdown of the cost in this estimate is depreciation (20,667), taxes and fees (2,867, mostly purchase costs), finance (3,019), maintenance (5,223), repairs (1,752), insurance (8,155), fuel (16,584).
I said the cost of *driving* is fuel, the cost of driving not including these other things except repairs and maintenance. $1648 a year for repairs and maintenance for a new vehicle seems kind of high to me.

In any case this is a thread about the most fuel efficient vans. These would be either a diesel or a hybrid if they existed. Something I am having trouble finding out is which vans have diesel engine options available and what kind of mpg numbers one can expect with them.

Or using the electric drive instead for acceleration and regen. There is very little benefit at highway or even slower but steady speeds, though. If you are driving around in cities a lot it would be a benefit.

There are simpler ways reduce fuel consumption, if that is a priority. But... if you have a newish vehicle, the cost of fuel is small compared to the total cost of owning and driving, even if you only get 12 mpg.
Very true. Fuel cost is a very small percentage of the total vehicle operational cost. unfortunately no one wants to pick up a calculator.

I said the cost of *driving* is fuel, the cost of driving not including these other things except repairs and maintenance. $1648 a year for repairs and maintenance for a new vehicle seems kind of high to me.

In any case this is a thread about the most fuel efficient vans. These would be either a diesel or a hybrid if they existed. Something I am having trouble finding out is which vans have diesel engine options available and what kind of mpg numbers one can expect with them.
Cost of driving vs cost of letting it sit in your driveway? :confused: Most of that depreciation is also from driving.

This thread is about fuel efficient vans, but determining how important that is in the grand scheme of things is very appropriate. And if you really look at it, the conclusion is "not very important" for the majority of people.

Mercedes comes with a diesel, and there are enough of them for a decent sample. 16-17 mpg on average: https://www.fuelly.com/car/mercedes-benz/sprinter_2500?engineconfig_id=238&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

Ram and Ford both used to have diesel options, but they are were not popular and I don't know if they are still offered.

I wouldn't buy a modern diesel even a Mercedes, because of emissions problems.