Going #2 boondocking solutions.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morkani

Reaction score
From what i've seen on bobs youtube channel, a lot of people make it seem really easy to use the 5 gallon bucket and a walmart(ish) bag.
1. How does one get rid of that legally.

2. trying to figure how to put this delicately, I don't think my stool is compatible with this. (I hope that's enough) I also have considered installing a composting toilet, it sounds great in theory, but I wonder if I'd run into the same problem (I hear liquid can't go in those?)

Are there other solutions I haven't considered? I DO have a black tank, but it's only 12g, I'd rather not put stool in there and would even switch it for composting if it's feasable & fits.

If I remember correctly you have a class B and are planning to use the gray water tank. If that's the case I'd just use the black tank too. Twelve gallons is pretty large for black water and most of the time you'll have to find a dump station for the gray water so you might as well just use them both. It's really not a bad process once you get use to doing it. It sounds like the 5 gallon bucket or a composting toilet would be much more of a hassle for you.

Terrible subject but I can relate a bit. It comes and goes with me but I do occasionally have that problem. A good cat litter in that bag helpS.  All of the time when I prepare my potty ahead I fold a paper towel in the bottom and spray some Clorox spray in. I don’t use a 5 gallon bucket i I use a 5 quart bucket in a homemade potty seat that I have. I prepare my potty ahead I fold a paper towel or two in the bottom and spray some Clorox spray in. I don’t use a 5 gallon bucket are use a 5 quart bucket in a homemade potty seat that I have. Most people always say a 5 gallon bucket because it’s convenient height to sit on what your “catching container” can be higher and works better for the kind of thing you’re talking about.  I think some people use us this that seals the smell in and continue to use the 5 gallon bucket for Multiple times. But I get rid of it after each go_Of course you got to double bag it And maybe even consider heavier Ziploc bags. We have discount grocery stores around here when we can get them for about 3/4 of what the pay In other stores  Another good solution for that is the “double doody bag” available Online and at places like Cabela’s, not cheap, but that gel in there does work. Isn’t it amazing the kind of things we share about on this forum. Reality is reality if you’re going to eat you’re going to S@#T.  Good luck. And I’m sorry for this attempt at humor but    -  I hope everything comes out all right.

God bless the nomads everyone of us in our time of need:)

I have a porta potty. I use it for pee but you can do this same methodfor an RV toilet. For #2 after I pee and empty the bowl I close the valve. . Linethe bowl  with an 8 gallon trash bag. It stretches across the opening and then put the lower seat down. I put a couple of paper towels in the bottom of the bag to absorbabsorb any potential liquid. Do my #2, tie a knot in the bag close to the waste. Flip the excess gab up and over that first tied off section and tie it off again. That way the waste is essentially double bag into a small package. Then I put it into an airtight bucket to dispose of when I get to a suitable waste disposal location.

It  ounds like more work than it is. You get prett fast at it. Not messy to do, discrete to dispose of. Most grocery stores stock 8 gallon bags, they are not very expensive. 

Dumping it into a trash can right in front of a building entrance is not a suitable location.  if you are out doing wilderness camping in a remote location and cat holes are allowed the do your #2 in a cat hole. They sell portable toilet seats with legs that make it more comfy if you like to sit down. Just position it over the cathole and cover the feces and tissue afterwards.fold up the seat and stow it away for the next wildlife adventure poop.

Since you have a ClassB, I agree that you should use your own toilet when a public toilet is not available.

Many of us try to limit #2 in our own tank, but why have your own toilet if you’re not going to use it?

I am really against little bags of human feces going into regular trash and then landfills, as I think the opportunity for small critters and birds spreading disease is enormous, but that’s me.

I also think this is yet another issue that will eventually look bad for vanlifers, and cause newly imposed regulations.

The important thing, for me, is not putting toilet paper in your black tank, as that’s where the clogs comes from.

Use holding tank chemicals and keep a good supply of water in there, flush good to rinse it all out when you dump, and you’re good to go.

When I find a dump station with a really long hose, I take the opportunity to clean the toilet and black tank out thoroughly.

nature lover said:
Terrible subject but I can relate a bit. It comes and goes with me but I do occasionally have that problem. A good cat litter in that bag helpS.  All of the time when I prepare my potty ahead I fold a paper towel in the bottom and spray some Clorox spray in. I don’t use a 5 gallon bucket i I use a 5 quart bucket in a homemade potty seat that I have. I prepare my potty ahead I fold a paper towel or two in the bottom and spray some Clorox spray in. I don’t use a 5 gallon bucket are use a 5 quart bucket in a homemade potty seat that I have. Most people always say a 5 gallon bucket because it’s convenient height to sit on what your “catching container” can be higher and works better for the kind of thing you’re talking about.  I think some people use us this that seals the smell in and continue to use the 5 gallon bucket for Multiple times. But I get rid of it after each go_Of course you got to double bag it And maybe even consider heavier Ziploc bags. We have discount grocery stores around here when we can get them for about 3/4 of what the pay In other stores  Another good solution for that is the “double doody bag” available Online and at places like Cabela’s, not cheap, but that gel in there does work. Isn’t it amazing the kind of things we share about on this forum. Reality is reality if you’re going to eat you’re going to S@#T.  Good luck. And I’m sorry for this attempt at humor but    -  I hope everything comes out all right.

God bless the nomads everyone of us in our time of need:)

the cat litter trick I think is an excellent tip that i'll be trying. Do you know of a legal way to dispose of it?

WanderingRose said:
Since you have a ClassB, I agree that you should use your own toilet when a public toilet is not available.

Many of us try to limit #2 in our own tank, but why have your own toilet if you’re not going to use it?

I am really against little bags of human feces going into regular trash and then landfills, as I think the opportunity for small critters and birds spreading disease is enormous, but that’s me.

I also think this is yet another issue that will eventually look bad for vanlifers, and cause newly imposed regulations.

The important thing, for me, is not putting toilet paper in your black tank, as that’s where the clogs comes from.

Use holding tank chemicals and keep a good supply of water in there, flush good to rinse it all out when you dump, and you’re good to go.

When I find a dump station with a really long hose, I take the opportunity to clean the toilet and black tank out thoroughly.

Yes, that was another concern, how to dispose of it properly. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I know I would be kind of skeeved out if i discovered human waste in a shopping plaza garbage can.[/font] I'd use the 12 galon tank, but even now, just using it for #1 it seems like it fiils pretty quickly (i'm sure the gauges are inaccurate though huh?) I just thought i'd be filling it even more with #2 & isn't the risk for disease even greater when urine is mixed with stool?

I only have a 10 gallon black tank and it will last me two weeks if I push it. Pushing it means that not all #1 goes into the tank but you want a lot of #1 in the tank to break down and flush out the solids. If you don't have enough #1 in the tank you could end up with a poop pyramid and those are expensive to get rid of. All toilet paper goes in a sandwich bag after use as the paper will clog up the sensors. Please do not bury toilet paper, bag it. If not using chemicals in the tank, a little fabric softener and dish soap adds to the break apart effect of the solids. Do not flush with the roof vent open and the fan exhausting, it will pull the smell right inside (ask me how I know). I make the ceiling fan blow into the van when flushing with windows and doors shut. This pressurises the van so the smells go up the vent stack. Hopefully the vent stack on the roof isn't too near the fan and the wind isn't blowing it that way. If it is, just close the roof vent.

I put a hose adapter on my sink faucet and carry a short hose that will reach the commode. I attach a wand to the hose that reaches into the tank for spraying it down while the dump valve is still open. This hopefully gets rid of most of the solids. Shut the blank tank valve and put about a gallon of fresh water into the tank with whatever chemicals you are using. Open the grey water valve and use the grey water to flush the hose. I have to jiggle the hose at this point to rinse the inside of it as the grey water drains slower than the black on mine. Close the valve, stow hose (outside). Wash hands and then fill with fresh water. You're dumping grey, may as well do the black. You will get used to it. I wouldn't be without my black tank.

You keep asking for a legal way to dispose of it. You are forgetting there is no nationwide law for this situation. Every state, every county and every municipality sets there own laws up. Sure there are also health departments in all those levels of governments but there are also private companies that do the eeaste handling for the various locations so they too have their own standards of what can and can't go into the garbage.

The question is not just what they say but also what do you consider to be not only practical but also ethical.
You already have a built in system that meets current standards, codes and laws as far as they go in the RV industry . But you have decided you are too squeemish to use it or perhaps you feel it is too inconvenient or maybe too expensive. I have no idea what is driving your concern. However, you are not going to find a consensus of opinion in this forum regarding how to deal with your poop.

I'm in a trailer with a 25 g black tank, but there are times when I needed to extend my stay- 3/20-5/20, for instance.

Urine takes up a lot more volume. I got a urine bottle at CVS. It's easier to dump that and keeps your black tank going far longer. Of course, you need some liquid in the tank.

I assume your other issue is loose stool. For that, I get a fiber powder. One drink every other day solves that!

Maki2 is right you’re not find a consensus here we’ve been through this issue before. Just think of where every homeowner that has cats dispose of their cat litter. Same health concerns they are too I guess. We gave you the advice now you’re on your own. Smiles.

Its not how you get rid of it legally, its how you can get away with it.

And easy. Put it in a bag with the rest of your trash and throw it in the dumpster or side of the road.

I tend to just do it at walmarts bathrooms or planet fitness. Less effort on my part

I’m sorry, but I have to say I am shocked to see anyone recommending throwing trash and/or bags of human waste on the side of the road.

Please, don’t do that.

It is not only illegal everywhere, it is the kind of thing that causes problems for van dwellers.

I can't believe they even said that.

Please dispose of all trash in a legal and responsible matter.

highdesertranger

It has gotten so bad in San Francisco that they have an app for report poop on the street. Please don't be like San Francisco!!!

FreedomRam said:
Its not how you get rid of it legally, its how you can get away with it.

And easy. Put it in a bag with the rest of your trash and throw it in the dumpster or side of the road.

I tend to just do it at walmarts bathrooms or planet fitness. Less effort on my part
GROSS!

Worse [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]than [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the guys who leave [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]their pee bo[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]tles by [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the side of [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the road. And I [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]though[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]tha[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t was [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the wors[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t.[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]

I don't understand the aversion to burying human waste, solid or liquid. Some people say that it contaminates the water supply with diseases, but how is it different from a S&B septic tank?

I don't see an aversion. in some places it is perfectly legal to bury your waste in some places it is not legal. in a heavy use area you really don't want people buying their waste. I only see the restriction on cat holes spreading for one thing people just don't follow the rules the biggest problem is they don't dig their holes deep enough. you really can't compare a septic system with a cat hole. a septic system is about 10 feet deep do you want to dig a 10 foot deep cat hole?

Please everybody learn the rules and follow them for the area you are in.

highdesertranger