The Van: Purchase and initial stay

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlwaysFree

Reaction score
So I bought my conversion van (Ford Econline, high top) and took it to the dealer right away. Had it inspected and the basic & preventive maintenance done.

I found it most important to have all the fluids changes (all!), the wheel bearings repacked, and to make sure the parking brake and spare tire work as designed.. Also had a steering damper/stabilizer installed (what a difference!), wheels balanced and alignment done.

So mechanically I should be good to go.

On the way back home (3 day trip) I had to say in there. I was not sure how to handle the cold, I had plenty of blankets and a good sleeping bag with me. However, one night it got really cold (around 12 degree).

So I thought: I have dual A/C which gives me a rear fan and air outlets, why not start the van and turn on the heat, the rear blower will distribute the warm air all over the van.

It worked flawless! I had it running for a few hours and did not even have to set the fan control on high.

Granted this is not a good solution.  Not so much about the fuel burned (they say idling burns around 1/2 gallon per hour), but certainly bad for the environment. Did not feel too bad though, considering all the cars sitting around idling because they want them to warm up. That reminds me to get a carbon monoxide detector, just in case. And a fire extinguisher of course!

But this experience gave me a hint that, if in extreme hot temperature and A/C is needed, I could just do that for temporary relief.

My next steps now are to remove the center captain chairs and have the rear bench seat installed sideways. This will give me space, I can walk up all the way to the rear door, when sleeping I can fold it down and have all the space I need.

I want to have a secondary battery installed so I can power a 12V refrigerator. I guess I will have to look at some kind of solar panel sooner or later so that the battery gets recharged. Driving around would probably take too long.

Water I am using the portable way right now, and am looking at what kind of toilet to get. I guess at this point it is all about size to me, so I do not know whether to get a regular camping toilet, or a composting one.

Lots of thoughts, I have to research any stated experiences from others with toilets.

See ya!

Congrats on the van. There are lots of YT videos on mid top conversion vans so search them up and you will get lots of ideas and information.

Here's a suggestion: you might do as I did and get a heater. I just bought a "Buddy" propane gas heater for my van. https://www.mrheater.com/product/heaters/buddy-series.html I only do road trips, don't live full time in the vehicle, have no wall insulation in the van, and I live in a mild California climate, and only travel during generally milder times of year. However, I have traveled into the Sierra Nevada during October when it can get to 25 degrees at night or even colder at high elevations.

Propane devices including the heater need ventilation to safely operate, so I would have to open the van door (I have no maxxair fan or the like for ventilation) to use the heater, which is somewhat at cross purposes toward getting it warm, as it may well be colder outside, however if you put the heater close to yourself I think this will more than make up for the open door. Just don't put the heater near any flammable objects like a sleeping bag. Best not to use it while you are sleeping. If you do also install a vent fan in your van you then wouldn't need an open door.

Sounds like new beginings, i am about 2 weeks away from my first night so its pretty cool to read others first experiences. i hope you enjoy the new life style

WayOutWest said:
Propane devices including the heater need ventilation to safely operate, so I would have to open the van door (I have no maxxair fan or the like for ventilation) to use the heater, which is somewhat at cross purposes toward getting it warm, as it may well be colder outside, however if you put the heater close to yourself I think this will more than make up for the open door.  Just don't put the heater near any flammable objects like a sleeping bag.  Best not to use it while you are sleeping. If you do also install a vent fan in your van you then wouldn't need an open door.

Actually, you don't. Install a set of rain guards on your windows. You'll wonder how you ever lived without them!

jacqueg said:
Actually, you don't. Install a set of rain guards on your windows. You'll wonder how you ever lived without them!

INteresting...do you mean I could open the driver or passenger door window (partway or all the way?) and that would be suitable ventilation, for running a propane stove or heater, so that I wouldn't have to open the slider door? That would be good news but I wasn't sure if that would be enough ventilation.....tell me more.

WayOutWest said:
INteresting...do you mean I could open the driver or passenger door window (partway or all the way?) and that would be suitable ventilation, for running a propane stove or heater, so that I wouldn't have to open the slider door?  That would be good news but I wasn't sure if that would be enough ventilation.....tell me more.

Usually, you can have a couple inches of opening underneath the guard that can't be detected from outside the van.

I don't run a propane heater inside my van, so I don't have personal experience. I would feel completely safe cooking on a propane cookstove though.

It's very rare that I close my windows all the way anymore, no matter what the weather. No more stuffy van.

I use a diesel heater with no fumes inside my van.

In my opinion the best solution is to avoid the problem. A vented heater is one good way! Before running anything a good detector is necessary for safety and all appliances should give you minimum specs for ventilation requirements. Be sure you have at least that. Usually condensation concerns will require you have even more ventilation. Nothing works as well as a good dry sleeping bag which will keep you alive when everything else fails, so that should be your first priority.