Giving to HOWA from your IRA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLB_SA

Reaction score
Some people who visit this forum (and, perhaps, are or will be or wish to be part-time or full-time vandwellers) may have retirement accounts like IRAs (or 401(k) or 403(b) accounts).  There is an option (for those who wish) to donate some or all of a person's required minimum distribution(s) (RMD) directly to a qualified charity as an income exclusion.  I hope HOWA qualifies as such a charity but I don't know; I will proceed on the assumption that it is.

Here are quotes from the article Here’s why you might not want to move all your IRA money to a Roth by CNBC.

Contributions made through so-called qualified charitable distributions — funds sent directly to the charity from a traditional IRA — are excluded from your taxable income.
In contrast, the tax break for charitable contributions — like the break for medical expenses — can only be used if you itemize your deductions. And, generally speaking, a deduction is not as valuable as an income exclusion.
This strategy, though, is only available to IRA owners and beneficiaries who are age 70½ or older. So once RMDs kick in (now age 72), the move could potentially reduce your tax liability on the RMD to zero.
“If your RMD is $5,000, but you give $5,000 to charity anyway, do the qualified charitable distribution and you don’t have to pick up any of the income,” Slott said."

I won't have to take RMDs until 2026 but I will consider this idea then; this might help me from having to pay income tax on some or all of my social security benefits.  Perhaps other people will consider helping HOWA in this manner?