401K, IRA for early retirement and no taxes paid

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planet-beaver

Reaction score
For those that have 401K or had 401K in the past, there is many ways to get money out without paying any taxes or any penalty.

As you know that standard age to start redrawing 401K or IRA or Roth IRA is 59.5 years old. Many people think that if you take money out early you will pay 10% penalty plus standard 20% tax. For the longest time the only way to not pay 10% penalty is to take money out for medical bills, education or primary housing purchase or repair.

What most people don't know is that if you quit your job that has your 401K, you can start taking 401K at age 55 without penalties.

Also, if you are younger than 55, let say 45 and quit your job to retire, you can claim a hardship and set up payments from you 401K without paying penalty. You have to set up the payments for at least 5 years and you can not change these payments or stop them. Most 401K plans do not advertise this option because they want to hold on to your money as long as possible. They don't even want you to know about 55 year option. Most will advise you to work as long as possible and keep maxing out the 401K contribution. More money for them to hold and charge you fees.

Here is IRS note

You will not pay 10% penalty if you are separated from service and you have set-up a payment schedule to withdraw money in substantially equal amounts over the course of your life expectancy. (Once you begin taking this kind of distribution you are required to continue for five years or until you reach age 59 1/2, whichever is longer.)

Now, not all 401K plans provide that option, but if you quit, you have the freedom to roll your money to IRA of your choice that does offer hardship payment plan and since you live in the van or RV and have no other income, you will qualify for hardship payments.

So if you currently working and your job is offering 401K, max your contributions up to the limit if possible ($17,500 or $23,500 if over 50) as you will not pay taxes on that money while you have large combined income. Later when you no longer working and if you are single you can take out $10,000 ($6,100 standard deduction and $3,900 exemption) or $20,000 for couple ($12,200 standard deduction and $3,900 exemption for each person) and never pay any taxes or penalties. These deductions and exemptions increase each year to keep up with inflation. By the time you hit 62 and start collecting SS, you want your 401K redraws to be minimal as combined income can put you back into paying taxes.

The idea is to work now and pay as little taxes as possible and later not to work at all, live frugally but still have income and pay no taxes. Again this is something no one advertise to make us work till we die. Also many states that do have state income tax do not apply that for money from 401K. The bottom line is, you will never pay taxes on the money that you are placing into your 401K, plus your employer may contribute to it as well.

Now if you typical American and you take out $20,000-$30,000 from 401K per year on top of your SS benefits, you get nailed with IRS taxes and you have to pay more for your medical insurance.

It pays to live frugally when you are working by maxing 401K and it pays to live frugally when you collect.

One thing I forgot to mention is that some 401k or IRA plans will take 20% for federal taxes but you will get it all back with your tax return. Many plans have options of having no 20% deductions when you making a redraw but ether way, you will pay nothing if you keep your distributions under the numbers I listed above.

I was union so I've never had a 401 or IRA, but i'm sure it applies to some of us.

Thanks for taking the time to share that with us!
Bob

Folks--PLEASE check with a tax advisor before doing this.

One catch is that you must have EARNED income to contribute to either a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA. You cannot contribute more than you earn. Also check current contribution limits for IRAs.

You may not pay a penalty under the circumstances described (although you should double-check that) but you WILL pay income tax on every penny you take out, if the money was contributed before-tax. Now if you have little other income, your total tax rate may be low, but there WILL be some income tax if your income exceeds the total of your standard deductions and personal exemptions. That total is $10,150 for a single person in 2014.

Also, check the tax status of your SS benefits. If your adjusted gross + 1/2 SS benefits is over a certain total, your SS becomes taxable. That total is $25,000 for a single person in 2014.

coolmom42 said:
Folks--PLEASE check with a tax advisor before doing this.

One catch is that you must have EARNED income to contribute to either a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA. You cannot contribute more than you earn. Also check current contribution limits for IRAs.

You may not pay a penalty under the circumstances described (although you should double-check that) but you WILL pay income tax on every penny you take out, if the money was contributed before-tax. Now if you have little other income, your total tax rate may be low, but there WILL be some income tax if your income exceeds the total of your standard deductions and personal exemptions. That total is $10,150 for a single person in 2014.

Also, check the tax status of your SS benefits. If your adjusted gross + 1/2 SS benefits is over a certain total, your SS becomes taxable. That total is $25,000 for a single person in 2014.

+1 you WILL pay taxes on 401k, 403b and 457 distributions at the earned income rate, which is dependent on your total income. The only way I ever avoided taxes on a distribution was by depositing the same amount of the distribution into an HSA insurance plan. As long as I use the money in the HSA plan for legitimate health expenditures, I do no pay tax when I use that money. But there's a $7500 limit on HSA contributions.

You can take limited amounts of money out of a 401 after age 55 if you no are no longer working, and there's a way to avoid the 10% penalty tax on a 72T distributions. There's a link on the page below for exceptios.

http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans...garding-Substantially-Equal-Periodic-Payments

Exceptions

Seraphim said:
+1 you WILL pay taxes on 401k, 403b and 457 distributions at the earned income rate, which is dependent on your total income.
But if you are single an keep your 401 distribution under $10,000 (your total income), you will pay zero taxes. Or under $20,000 for married couple.

You can live on that van dwelling. That was the whole point of this post. Please don't confuse people with all this other stuff that applies to people making 50K.

It's simple, keep it under 10k or 20k for couple and pay no taxes no matter where the money is coming from.

You can find out, within 10 mins, what your estimated Social Security payments will be, by creating an online account with SS here:
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/

"early" (hahahaa) retirement starts at 62. Followed by 67, or late at 70 years old. Payment amounts vary depending on the age you start drawing.

I was pleasantly surprised with what I found. :D

And now, knowing what I now know: I certainly do want to draw down my 401k BEFORE reaching "normal" retirement age, as I don't want the tax man to get a nickel (or at least as little as possible) :dodgy: dodgysobgovbootjackedthugsbastar7s

Thanks so much for starting this thread. You guys, us guys, are the REAL WINNERS in this mussed-up-mess (I'll just stop myself right there and you can fill in the blanks however suits your fancy)

planet-beaver said:
But if you are single an keep your 401 distribution under $10,000 (your total income), you will pay zero taxes. Or under $20,000 for married couple.

You can live on that van dwelling. That was the whole point of this post. Please don't confuse people with all this other stuff that applies to people making 50K.

It's simple, keep it under 10k or 20k for couple and pay no taxes no matter where the money is coming from.

So you pay no taxes if your total income is less than $10k/$20k? If you have a link to that source, I'd appreciate seeing it. I can't find it on IRS.gov. Makes a bit of sense, though, as someone with that level of income has an earned income rate of 0% anyway, which is what I said they'd pay taxes at. Even if the 401k provider had a mandatory tax withholding, that money would be refunded the person, anyway.

I think that would be a rare instance, however. But I'd still like to see the source of tyour information, out of curiosity

Just to add more to this great topic. If you happen to be 70 or older (I think that is the correct age) you must begin withdrawing a certain percentage of your total IRA each and every year or face penalties.

Also, if you can, put money away into a ROTH IRA rather than a straight IRA. Yes, you'll pay taxed money into it but there are 2 advantages to them. First, withdrawals are completely tax free including all the money made on the ROTH. Second, ROTH withdrawals are not counted as income by SSI so you can pull as much out of the ROTH and never reduce the SSI check.

One last bit of info. If you ever need to hide money away from IRS put it in federal bonds. Ironic that this works because the government doesn't issue the bonds to a specific individual. Imagine the best way to hide money from the government is to give them the money to hold for you! As an added bonus the bonds pay back the holder with tax free interest as well.

Ditto coolmom42.

Interest paid on US Treasury bonds is usually non-taxable by state and local taxing authorities, but it IS taxed by the Feds. Municipal bonds are a different story but I don't think the Feds issue munis.

There is ALWAYS a record of bond purchases and the person who receives the interest.

Please be careful, everybody. Tax law is very complicated and easily misunderstood.

Best wishes.

Stargazer said:
Ditto coolmom42.

Interest paid on US Treasury bonds is usually non-taxable by state and local taxing authorities, but it IS taxed by the Feds. Municipal bonds are a different story but I don't think the Feds issue munis.

There is ALWAYS a record of bond purchases and the person who receives the interest.

Please be careful, everybody. Tax law is very complicated and easily misunderstood.

Best wishes.

Thanks. That's what the link I posted was advising, if anyone took the time to read it lol. The Fed doesn't issue munis, but there's a whole book on the taxation of municipal bonds out there, getting into coupons, discounts, premiums, etc, which no one is really interested in here.

Again, seek professional advice.

My research (which you should check for accuracy) shows:
No taxes on the first $10,000 within a calendar year ....

The hows & whys of it:
Per lines 40, and 42, the standard deductions and exemptions for a single person is:
$6,100 + $3,900 = $10,000 per year un-taxable income. This is for the 2013 tax year. (more if youre hitched) (more still if you itemized your deductions)

here is a link: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf
& the instructions, click here:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf

BTW, ideally the company you are dealing with SHOULD NOT withhold money for taxes. WHY you ask? Because tax refunds are TAXABLE the following year ... and that SUCKS.

You still have to file a tax return if you withdrew or made over $3,900 (married, filing separately) or $10,000 (if single, under 65) PLEASE reference page 8 of the instructions - dont count on me.

And note, the tax codes for 2014 will change!! So do your own homework.

and SPANKS again for a GREAT thread.

akrvbob said:
I was union so I've never had a 401 or IRA, but i'm sure it applies to some of us.

Thanks for taking the time to share that with us!
Bob

Bob, What type of union work?

flailer said:
My research (which you should check for accuracy) shows:
No taxes on the first $10,000 within a calendar year ....

The hows & whys of it:
Per lines 40, and 42, the standard deductions and exemptions for a single person is:
$6,100 + $3,900 = $10,000 per year un-taxable income. This is for the 2013 tax year. (more if youre hitched) (more still if you itemized your deductions)

here is a link: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf
& the instructions, click here:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf

BTW, ideally the company you are dealing with SHOULD NOT withhold money for taxes. WHY you ask? Because tax refunds are TAXABLE the following year ... and that SUCKS.

You still have to file a tax return if you withdrew or made over $3,900 (married, filing separately) or $10,000 (if single, under 65) PLEASE reference page 8 of the instructions - dont count on me.

And note, the tax codes for 2014 will change!! So do your own homework.

and SPANKS again for a GREAT thread.

I let the experts handle the taxes lol - and it's easier to let him make the decisions. He has the software and can just plug in the numbers. HE can do the homework. But up until a few years I handled my own. Just got lazy and the situation became much more complicated with an early retirement.

A tax refund is not income - it is a return of overpaid funds already taxed and is not double taxed. Besides, a good tax man (or his software) can advise exactly how much to have withheld, so any refund is minimal. Better to have a minor refund than pay penalties for not paying enough taxes.

The company I 'deal with' asks me how much to withhold for any funds taken from a tax deferred account, but they will not withhold less than 10%, if they withhold taxes for you This is probably a standard amount determined by the IRS. Taking money out at the end of the year permits it to gather interest longer, and any money withheld is only held for a few months, so there is no significant loss of potential return there. I would, though, agree it's not in ones best interest to continually have large refunds each year.

But I think we've clarified the OPs original post: it doesn't matter where your taxable income originates, if you can keep your total income below a certain amount, you'll owe no taxes. That only applies to a small amount of people, I think, but it is still a valid point.

And by 'small amount of people', I mean a small amount of people who also have access to a 401k.

Ugh! They changed the bonds back in 1982......that used to be a really nice way to hide money and make a little extra with it. Good to know.

Yea - if there's a way to get more money from you, the government will find a way...

I was a grocery clerk most of my life when it was still a career. Good wages, good benefits, good pension. Now it's none of those things.

UFCW: United Food and Commercial Workers Union.
Bob

The entire workplace is changing, and there's really no way to blame any one group of people. With the advent of defined contribution plans, defined benefit plans are disappearing. Unemplyment has allegedly dropped, but mostly because of disenfranchised workers leaving the labor force, and the jobs being added are generally part time, lower wage, with no benefits. With the advent of ACA and still stiff competition for jobs, employers no longer feel the need to offer insurance as a benefit. Unions offered good protection for workers, but eventually grew to the point they were a major factor in rising costs and lower production ratios. Increased taxations on companies have driven up costs, which are either passed on to consumers or alleviated by reducing the labor force. Finally, technology has drastically changed the map by which companies are formed, the direction their business plans take, and how their companies operate. The old business model can't compete.

And it's not going back to the way it was.

Adapt or die... (Meant metaphorically)

If you filed last year's taxes and did not have to pay anything---your total tax liability was ZERO--and you expect to be in the same situation this year, you can write EXEMPT on your W4 for any employer, and the employer should not take out any FIT withholding. Some employers may insist on it, but that is not exactly legal.

akrvbob said:
I was a grocery clerk most of my life when it was still a career. Good wages, good benefits, good pension. Now it's none of those things.

UFCW: United Food and Commercial Workers Union.
Bob

Ok. I'm IUOE: International Union Operating Engineers. Pays ok. Benefits aren't bad either. But unlike many other of my peers, I want to retire ASAP!

Latest posts