GIRLS' ROOM: Going to the RTR this winter first time, are you going?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kundrup

Reaction score
Hi, I'd love to start connecting with some of ya'll before I arrive, makes the prospect of driving 2500 miles a bit less daunting. 
Let me know your story!

I'm Laura, taking the winter off, like I've wanted to for many many years, and the RTR is one of the big reasons. I am a massage therapist for over 30 years, and have my own practice in Connecticut. I do not have an RV, or actually, I have a tiny fold out trailer, but I'm not going to take it, just doing the car and tent this time. Want to start from ground zero and work my way up!

Laura

Welcome, Laura!

I won't be there this Jan, as I won't be hitting the road until I sell my place next year.

If you haven't been to AZ in winter, please keep in mind that that they don't usually have bikini temps in January. While the daytime temps are often in the 50s and 60s, and the nights about 50F, the nighttime temps CAN drop into the 20s, so be prepared with a decent sleeping bag and warm clothing.

And have a GREAT time!

Hi Laura,

This will be my first year at the RTR too. I have been living in my class C for about a year, but I have been in one place. This will be my first time boondocking. I am really looking forward to it.

Caryn

I'd love to hear about your experience in a tent. I'm not going, thought about it, but just not the right time for me. Have fun!

This will be my first RTR as well. You're a brave lady coming by yourself out here. I cheated and caravanned.

First time at the RTR for me, I'll be down in the area by mid December. Not my first rodeo living in a small moving space though, I was a trucker for 15 years. =)

Hey just keep being brave and put one foot in front of the other.  I went to RTR last year and had a great time.  Plan to go this year, too.  There are many solo ladies out there for friendship and quite a few other folks that are fun, too.  

I plan to go in my car and possibly tent this year, but I went last year in a Van and had not real problems.  Was sooo glad I went.  Don't let fear stop you as you'll miss out on lots of fun.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step!

Glenda "From Oz"

It is looking like I will be there this year. I am finally debt free and I am not going to look back! Just me, a cat, and my car (the tent is for the cat!)

I wish I could! AZ is so far away (I'm in TN) and I'm still in my house. If it were closer, I could take a week off from work and attend.

I am not single but am going to the RTR in Jan. 
Hubby is going too. lol
Along with our Dog and Cat.
Our first trip and I am looking forward to leaving here in WV and getting on the road.  Hope to leave here about Dec. 30, or so. Maybe earlier, if I can get the Hubby and myself ready.
Have fun, hope to meet a lot of the folks who are here on this forum.
Looking forward to having a great time, our first trip out!!
Sharon

The original delivery date for my second order van was Jan 21-23. But now they've moved it to January 10th. The build date is next week, on the 7th. One could only pray that a low boy would be available and a driver would think and be able to say "let's deliver this one before the holiday break and make someone happy"... but sigh I d k.

The map says only 31 hours to drive out. But when I checked it is 2600 miles and I cannot average 61 mph! Anyone who has done this stuff knows that the campsites fill up before 3 pm; I need to stop for rest breaks nearly every hour or two (as per my PT)... so it will take at least 4 days hard driving (for me) to get there. And that's after I do something to the inside of the cargo area to make it at least livable for the first trip! :) If delivery is before the holiday... yeah I'll be there even in I have to be doing insulation while I'm out there. IF it's not til the 10th it will be totally how things are going IRL at the time whether I can make it or not. But at least now there is a small chance :)

Well, I will not only miss this coming RTR, (work) but next RTR (medical exam.) I will be fine for RTR 2019! Meet ya there!

I think the first tribe member I will run into is highdesertranger while prowling around the Oregon outback in summer of '18.

Will anyone be passing through So Cal area? Im thinking I will break up the drive..only looked at the map briefly but might stop at Salton Sea for a nite or so then continue on to the event. Would be nice to Caravan. Towing a TT.
Thanks

Just an update for me but it looks like I won't make it to RTR. I need to get the exhaust done on the van and the parts are almost $1000. That will take months to save up for.

LilRedWagon said:
It is looking like I will be there this year. I am finally debt free and I am not going to look back! Just me, a cat, and my car (the tent is for the cat!)

I too am planning to attend...my first. Like you I also have a cat and a new experience for us both. I'm a senior on SSDI and my flat is being sold out from under me. Can't afford to live hereon $900 per month so am starting a whole new life. Selling everything and hoping to have a small trailer to tow like a runaway. Until I found this group thru Bob on YouTube, I  was terrified of having to live in my car...but reality has set in and with each passing hour I get braver and braver. Looking forward to meeting you.

LilNomad said:
Will anyone be passing through So Cal area? Im thinking I will break up the drive..only looked at the map briefly but might stop at Salton Sea for a nite or so then continue on to the event. Would be nice to Caravan. Towing a TT.
Thanks

If all goes according to plan, I will be coming from Northern California so yes passing through Southern California.  Just don't know route yet. Too many other things to do first but would love to caravan...

Norcalauren said:
I too am planning to attend...my first. Like you I also have a cat and a new experience for us both. I'm a senior on SSDI and my flat is being sold out from under me. Can't afford to live hereon $900 per month so am starting a whole new life. Selling everything and hoping to have a small trailer to tow like a runaway. Until I found this group thru Bob on YouTube, I  was terrified of having to live in my car...but reality has set in and with each passing hour I get braver and braver. Looking forward to meeting you.

Didn't see this until today. I understand having the rug yanked from under you. Have you started training your cat to a harness and leash yet?  My old guy lives in his harness.The leash he is not so fond of. I should be arriving in Ehrenburg Jan first. Then to Q for the RTR on the 10th. I will be in a bright red Chevy HHR.
I can't really tow anything with this car. I am torn between trying to also get a runaway or getting a larger vehicle. I'll be making my decision while I am at Q.

Gen

I did TrainChaser, for just over $2000. I was also told today I'll be getting a termination letter next month asking me to leave. The son has completely taken over for his dad so all I can do now is to find places to park around here until I have the money to get another van and get out of Dodge. This one(01 Ford and the similar years of 99-03) are NOT financially feasible to maintain for those on a fixed income. Not an opportune time considering the timely things I could learn at the RTR but it is what it is. I just want to keep me and the critters warm and have internet access until I can escape.

Even with these temporary challenges I'm still grateful I have a now leak free roof over my head(I got the windshield replaced). Many in this town are living in tents.

I will be there!
I am driving from Eureka, California. I plan on taking  it slow so maybe a three day drive.

I am a solo woman as well. This is exciting, I thought I was going to drive down to Quartzsite and have to figure out all of this alone. 

My kids (adults) are in a bit of a panic. My oldest told me that my new lifestyle is stressing him out. Good! Raising kids stressed me out. Now I am free to do what I choose. 

I hope to leave the fifth or sixth. I am trying to beat a cold and URI right now, but I seem to be improving. A few more days of bed rest and I will be able to get the rig ready and start the trip.  

I have a 2008 Ford F-250 with a 30 foot Springdale Travel Trailer. I have been living in it for 6 months and have done some traveling in Nevada, Oregon, California and Washington so far. I am excited to get to Arizona and be in some warmer weather. 

I have attached a picture of me and of my rig.

rig.jpg

deb.jpg

Attachments

• deb.jpg
    deb.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 19
  • rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 20