Getting used to living in a smaller space

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheli

Reaction score
I know this isn't a new idea but it just struck me this weekend as I'm downsizing.

As I go through each room I have decided to designate a small space for my day to day belongings for that room and get everything else out of that room.

For example, in the bathroom I have my vanity with a lot of storage underneath and then another floor to ceiling wall cabinet with all sorts of shelves full of stuff.  Under my vanity I have one of those small plastic three drawer things so I'm working on getting everything out of the bathroom except for what I can fit in that three drawer container.  It will have to fit my oral hygiene, bath products, hair elastics and bobby pins and the minimal makeup I am going to keep for those occasions that I might need to get made up.  Everything else goes.  So this will force me to get used to living with minimal items.

I am going to do this for every room and everything else gets sold, donated or tossed.  But this will help me adjust to living in a small space so it won't be as big of an adjustment when I finally move into a van.

I think it will be helpful for adjusting and for organizing everything I need to get rid of.

I'm with ya...in fact, to help me get used to a tiny kitchen and limited 'fridge space, I just called for Chinese delivery. I don't use chop sticks, so one less thing I need to tote around... :)

You have a brilliant idea. I think I will adopt this idea also. Knowing the limited amount of space that we will have, it would be great to purge down to the necessities and live with it for now.

If you really want to adjust to a small space, move into your bathroom for a while. Bring in everything you think you'll need.

eoewan said:
You have a brilliant idea. I think I will adopt this idea also. Knowing the limited amount of space that we will have, it would be great to purge down to the necessities and live with it for now.

Exactly.  And I keep trying to shuffle through things to sort for sale and if I can purge down each room then designate another room for everything else, I think it will help.

MrNoodly said:
If you really want to adjust to a small space, move into your bathroom for a while. Bring in everything you think you'll need.

That wouldn't work, my bathroom is smaller than a van will be.  lol  This will at least help with adjusting to living with only the essentials.  But I could try that with my bedroom, not a bad idea.

I've been doing the same thing, as I empty a cupboard or closet it stays empty and then I move on to the next thing to start in on. 

Garbage pickup is Tuesdays. Every Monday night I scour the house for things to throw away. The garbage scavengers have to be loving me lately....

Plan on giving a truckful of stuff to the kids in August and then I'm going to try really hard to pare down to just the things I'll have in the van early in September. Lease is up Sept 30th, so that's the date I plan on hitting the road. 

For the most part, it's been liberating. Still need to pare down the wardrobe some. I have some a tailored suit that I'm clinging to, but the chances I'll need to wear it (or fit in it) are slim and none... 

It's amazing how much "stuff" you have just to support having a place to store your other stuff. I'll probably just put most of that out on the curb lawn before I leave.

It amazes me too how much crap we accumulate to live in a S&B. Obviously the furniture will bring me more money when selling but it's all the little things all over the place freaking me out. The dinner I get rid of it all the better. I'm thinking of bringing my dvd's and cooks up to the hospital for their community closet for patients. In the end I'm sure I'll be donating a lot more than selling.

It scares me but I do feel free each time I get rid of something.

And I look forward to having more empty cabinets.

Cheli said:
That wouldn't work, my bathroom is smaller than a van will be.  lol

But then the van would seem HUGE in comparison.  :D

yeah but there's a WHOLE BATHTUB in the batroom
then agin, maybe that;s a base for a bed lol
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! *starts rethinking cabin plans*

OH , stop it!
A cutie like you doesn't need makeup !

So, I bit the bullet and put out all my motorcycle gear tonight. A guy stopped by and asked if I was really throwing it all away. I said yep, and he loaded up. Made the guys year.

I've tried to to sell it all before, but motorcycle guys are picky when it comes to gear. Glad this guy got it all. One of those helmets was over $400 new... He probably got well over $2500 of gear new for free. And I couldn't be happier about it. Really.

MrNoodly said:
But then the van would seem HUGE in comparison.  :D

Great point!  lol

rvpopeye said:
OH , stop it!
A cutie like you doesn't need makeup !

Awwwe shux!  *blush*  I wear very little makeup normally unless I'm going to an event.

moorejames said:
So, I bit the bullet and put out all my motorcycle gear tonight. A guy stopped by and asked if I was really throwing it all away. I said yep, and he loaded up. Made the guys year.

Good for you, and I'm sure that guy was thrilled.  I sold my motorcycle last summer and I have a lot of gear I've tried selling too, should just give it away.

Cheli,

I am one of the Prius dwellers (from MA) here and although not full time I travel in the Prius for 3-4 months a year.

I downsized for my travels by getting soft sided tool bags from harbor freight (they have different sizes) I have one for my bathroom items. Others for other uses. I suggest you get any bag and just put in the things you use. The things that don't go in are off your list. Practice going to your bathroom with your bag to get used to it.

The good thing about soft sided bags is that as things inside get used the bag shrinks, and then expands when you get something.

Brent

Mobilesport said:
You can disable the water and electric for the full effect.

Whoooooah now lets not get carried away here.  hahahaha

I can't disable the water, I rent a house and I don't even have access to the basement where the utilities are.  But even when I get rid of everything, I will be leaving my apartment to save on rent and stay with my sister for a couple of months to stash more cash while I stay at my full time office job.  Once I quit my job the water won't be an issue but in the meantime I need to shower every morning for work.

Now the electric is another story, I can limit myself to just my bedroom and not use electric for anything else.  Not a bad idea actually, I might try that out.

Cheli said:
Whoooooah now lets not get carried away here.  hahahaha

I can't disable the water, I rent a house and I don't even have access to the basement where the utilities are.  But even when I get rid of everything, I will be leaving my apartment to save on rent and stay with my sister for a couple of months to stash more cash while I stay at my full time office job.  Once I quit my job the water won't be an issue but in the meantime I need to shower every morning for work.

Now the electric is another story, I can limit myself to just my bedroom and not use electric for anything else.  Not a bad idea actually, I might try that out.

I have a funny picture in my mind of you in your bathroom with the lights and the water disabled , you have a couple of deep cycle batteries and a 6 gallon water jug in there and solar panels on your roof ,,Lmao

That's funny. LMAO I can run some LED lights around my ceiling and curl up in my tub to sleep. hahaha When my friends or family come over I'll invite them into my bathroom and tell them this is the only room I'm using in my 900 sq ft apartment. They'll really think I lost my mind. LOL