Getting Ready

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randingo

Reaction score
Hello all!  Randingo here.  Very happy to be joining this awesome community.  I've been a Registered Nurse for the past 23 years.  Spent the majority of them working in an Operating Room.  I am a "Travel Nurse" now and move every 3 to 9 months.  Extended stay hotels have kept me comfortable for the past two years while eating a chunk of my income.  I am tired of it!!!

I came across Van Life videos on YouTube about 3 months ago.  While surfing I discovered CheapRvLiving and have been enlightened.  Thank you Bob!!

Thinking a van would be a good choice I started looking.  Ford, Dodge, GMC or Mercedes?  New or used?  I've looked at well over 100 vans in the past 8 weeks.  Not being sure of what to buy and not wanting to go in debt I decided to move into my 2016 Ford escape.  September 17, 2017 is the target date.  

The prep started today.  Built a bed platform 24"x 75".  

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

car3.jpg

car4.jpg

Car5.jpg

Attachments

• car1.jpg
    car1.jpg
    182.4 KB
  • car2.jpg
    car2.jpg
    167.1 KB
  • car3.jpg
    car3.jpg
    133.2 KB
  • car4.jpg
    car4.jpg
    153.3 KB
  • Car5.jpg
    Car5.jpg
    146.5 KB
" Not being sure of what to buy and not wanting to go in debt I decided to move into my 2016 Ford escape. " You are very wise, " grasshopper ".
Welcome, Randingo. " Go West, young man ". Enjoy the journey and the people you will meet.
" Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship
Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip
Ride captain ride upon your mystery ship
On your way to a world that others might have missed ".

That little bed there pays for itself, a cooler, and a coleman stove on the first night.

You just built yourself a significant pay raise. Congrats!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Randingo! Thanks for the photos. Looks like a good start - keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Good lookin' sleeping platform!  Fits well in the space and seems well built.

> Thinking a van would be a good choice I started looking.  Ford, Dodge, GMC or Mercedes? 

It's hard to go wrong with any of the vans.  I have a preference for factory high-tops, which effectively means one of the eurovans.

If you are a Ford person, the Transit would certainly be on the short list.  People who are less than 5'10" tall can probably save a chunk of cash going with the mid roof transit (72" cargo height) rather than the high roof (81").  Many more mid roofs than high roofs on the used market around here (DFW);  10:1 in my unscientific sampling. 

> New or used?

I'd say the sweet spot would be something like a two-year-old gently used van.  A big chunk of depreciation (and destination fees, etc) has been absorbed by the original owner.  There might be transferable warranty remaining.