Hello from PA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SB_LII

Reaction score
Hi all!
New to all of this. I am able to work remotely across the US, so I want to take advantage of that while I can.

I (24M) want to get a short term (about 3 month) furnished lease across the country in Arizona during the winter. I would be traveling only with my dog, and I think I will want to continue living in different parts of the country for 1-3 month stretches.

My initial thought is to get a van that I can live in short term (during 1-2 week stretches) while road-tripping across the country. I would continue to custumize the van over time past the initial trip across the country.

Sorry for the long post, but any advice or thoughts are welcome because I am very new to this. I am just starting to think about looking at vans and trying to figure how much it will cost me, but I don’t even know where to start. Thanks!

Better start looking now for winter reservations in Arizona. You will be lucky to find any short term especially with a pet. You might have better luck doing 3 one month stays at 3 different AirBnbs although it will be expensive. The van will be great for travel but you may find a trailer gives you the additional space you may find you need, especially with a furry friend so look at buying a 3/4 ton van you can tow a small trailer with or full time with without worry about weight or towing capabilities. Maybe live in the trailer while you build out the van. Just saying! Welcome to the forum!

Better start looking now for winter reservations in Arizona. You will be lucky to find any short term especially with a pet. You might have better luck doing 3 one month stays at 3 different AirBnbs although it will be expensive. The van will be great for travel but you may find a trailer gives you the additional space you may find you need, especially with a furry friend so look at buying a 3/4 ton van you can tow a small trailer with or full time with without worry about weight or towing capabilities. Maybe live in the trailer while you build out the van. Just saying! Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the intro and the advice. I actually do have a couple of options in Arizona that I’ve been monitoring, and I’m not sure if the trailer is what I’m looking for at this point. I don’t plan on living in the van full time, but I do want to be able to take long trips. I may get a van as a long term project to modify it over time. I’m thinking about getting the van to drive across the country, and I may not sleep in it yet if it’s not ready, but that would give me and my dog some extra space. If I do get the van though, I want to do my research first and be forward looking so I can have a better idea of what I will want and need.

If traveling is your goal in short duration, a mini van would do the trick, through an air mattress in the back and you’re good to go. Plus the fuel economy in those are much better than a full size cargo style van and you can probably (depending where you live of course) have many choices of make and models. Get a Toyota if you can even if higher mileage IMO.

You might look into Extended Stay America if you are willing to stay in the Mesa area. They are basically a studio apartment, having a kitchenette and small dining table. I stayed in one when I first moved here. Longer term stays, such as 30 days, are a lot cheaper per day than the daily rate. Call directly for the best price. The one in Ahwatukee (off Interstate 10 south of Phoenix) also accepts pets, or did when I stayed there. Free wifi, and coffee and snacks in the morning are included.

My initial thought is to get a van that I can live in short term (during 1-2 week stretches) while road-tripping across the country. I would continue to custumize the van over time past the initial trip across the country.
It doesn't have to take thousands of dollars, hundreds of hours, and master construction skills to build a fully functional van that can be lived in for an indeterminate period of time. An "old fart" setup- comfortable bed, kitchenette (cabinet, sink, running water), toilet, fridge, microwave and power station can be assembled (zero skills) in a few days for under $2k. A "young and roughin it" setup can be done for even less.

Latest posts