Getting Ready for Independence

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechnoRose

Reaction score
I have one year left till I get my BA. I work part time and am preparing job options for on the road. My family was overly protective so this lifestyle does not make them happy. They correlate it with homelessness and say I'm aiming low. I'm trying to aim to something I know I can do. I'm in my early twenties and rely on them and I'm not proud. They say I should just go to school to finish, but its impossible to do anything without spending money. I live in the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex. I love Texas, but honestly I feel like there is so much excessive consumption its sickening. I live in great houses in this area, living is "cheap" compared to the rest of the nation (one of my option jobs, real estate, got my license and can locate apartments remotely).

My fiance and i want to do this together. We've been together for 6 years and have been inseparable. Him and I both like simplistic, efficient, and peaceful living. We do consume a lot of media, but that is our work field. We've already worked together. Live together. We're best friends. He's ready for adventure and posses the street savvy that I lack.

Anyway, I'm not sure where to start. I don't know anything substantial about automobiles or refurbishing. Any tips would be helpful. :)

Welcome to the CRVL forums TechnoRose! There are a lot of good ideas in the links at the top of the page. Read the van conversions and other conversions articles. Consider how and where you want to live because it will factor into what type of vehicle will fit you best. If you're uncertain about anything ask questions. Someone here will have the answer or at least be able to give you some suggestions. Good luck with your decisions!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Technorose - welcome. Just remember that living mobile is not a way to live with no money. You need an income. Some can get by with $10k a year. Others need $25k.

You have alot of beautiful landscapes to explore close to you....from Palo Duro Canyon area to the Piney Woods of Texas to the Gulf Coast and of course Big Bend/Davis Mountains.  And the lakes in your area are finally full!

I don't know if you have done much camping, but you could acquire some camping items that could also be used in any van conversion that you do and take a few trips. That way, you can see how you might feel living out of a vehicle and have some fun at the same time.  You might get a better idea of what you need to bring along with you and what you don't need.  Of course camping for a few days is not the same as living out of a vehicle.....your power needs for example would be greater if you were living full-time in your vehicle.  But it's a start.

There is information on this forum on just about any topic that you might need.  And nice people to answer any questions that you might have.

Welcome!  And stay dry!

Welcome, TechnoRose, a couple in a van is pretty tough, not may people can do it. You have to be well connected to each other and you have to be real minimalists.

You might want to consider a Class B. That is a van that is turned into a full RV. Some of the RV dealers around you will have them. They are expensive so you will need an older Roadtrek or Pleasureway.

You need to decide how much and where you will travel because the determines what vehicle is best for you. For many people a small trailer pulled by a van is ideal. But you should also consider a small Class C towing an economy car.

We love questions, so feel free to ask!
Bob

Hello, and good luck to you. I think a van can still work, preferably a hi top extended, for two people as well. To get an idea of the types of things people need in a van, i made a list or easy conversion. The link is in my signature. though for two people i definitely would build out something from scratch it will give you an idea of the type of stuff necessary. A queen bed is definitely doable.

Greetings & Welcome!

For 2 people starting out, I would highly suggest a cheap older Class C to get you started. Starting out with 2 people in a van could cause a lot of unforeseen tension to to a very cramped space. Once you have mastered a Class C, it would be a much easier transition into something smaller if you decide that's the direction you'd like to go.

Van dwelling isn't for everybody, and for most people they are looking for bigger when trading up from a Class C rather than smaller.

It is frequently also possible to find a decent old Class C cheaper than a van too, and your parents might also feel like you'd be safer in a Class C.

Good Luck!

Living mobile at your stage in life makes it easier for you to reduce the amount of debt (or maximize the savings) you start out with. It will make it easier to explore new cities and take advantage of any opportunity that might come up after you graduate. Moving out of one apartment and into another in a strange place is a very taxing and expensive task! If all you have to do is drive there and find a gym to shower at before work you're set.

Your parents probably associate living in a van with someone who is destitute and out of options. You just need to demonstrate to them that it can also be about having MORE money and opportunities. As a college dropout myself, I would recommend finishing school if that was in doubt. It will make things much easier down the road.

You guys are amazing! Thank you for such warm welcomes! I currently have a subaru outback, and we've slept in it once already and it wasn't too bad, just could sit up... I've considering pulling a small trailer (maybe a teardrop? idk) behind it. Honestly my main worry for the area is weather / tornados. I'm sure we can find friends and family to help, but sometimes you don't have that much time to prepare.

offroad said:
Technorose - welcome. Just remember that living mobile is not a way to live with no money. You need an income. Some can get by with $10k a year. Others need $25k.

I already make 10k by myself working part time, the cost of living I'm already spending is 10k too. My main concern is just getting the van or trailer. We're trying to stop living pay check by pay check but its not be easy. We know we have to have income. A lot of our work that we want to do requires traveling anyway.

Good for you technorose!! It's always commendable when anyone can find a way to make an income, and find a way to live mobile and a place to park for sleep.

My community has no free places to park within an hours drive of the main city (jobs) area. It would all require stealth parking.

Don't know if you've seen the blog Becky writes at Interstellar Orchard.  You can learn a lot from her.  A trailer like hers, pulled by a van, might be the best way for a couple to do what you want to do.

Regards
John