Getting out there sooner than I planned!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwellerose

Reaction score
Well, last nite I was put out of the space I was in at an apt. So tomorrow, I will be starting my new journey as a stealth person
in San Diego. I had hunted down a few places to go i.e. a Walmart lot, and a lot between 2 hotels off the I-15fwy and Scripps Ranch.
I welcome any more leads.

Going 'out there' under these circumstances is not ideal. I suppose I will be learning a lot in the upcoming nites. One good thing is, I've
made black out curtains (i'm in an SUV), and my bed is adequate . . . just a few more adjustments. oh yeah, I've covered my windows in
black construction paper. Soon to do the Reflectix thing.

Still troubled about bathroom problems. It will be a challenge. I have to work here in town for as long as I can, due to an excess of bills : (
otherwise I' d leave this god-forsaken state sooner.

Wish me luck! And I'll be working on getting back that good ol' sense of adventure that I had when I was younger! 🤗

Good luck and be careful! Are there any of those long term "safe parking" lots I've read about in LA? The one's where you register for a slot (they're free) and they close it off at a certain time to keep folks safe.?

I hope it works out for you!

That's a tough way to launch, but I bet you will do great.
You may not feel the greatest right now, but there's a lot of adventure spirit already shining through in your post.
Good luck!

I was considering going back to San Diego so I'd love to hear how it goes no matter how it goes. Wishing you the best.

Good luck and be careful! Are there any of those long term "safe parking" lots I've read about in LA? The one's where you register for a slot (they're free) and they close it off at a certain time to keep folks safe.?

I hope it works out for you!
Don't get me started on those "safe parking" lots.
Years ago, when they first opened in San Diego I checked into them. They're "safe" if you want to be treated like a 'ward of the state'. They want a lot of information from you, just to stay in their lots, and they're VERY picky about who stays in the one in the nicer area. The Encinitas lot requires a special approval from the surrounding area residents. I 'auditioned' for one of the spaces, giving all of the required personal information they wanted, and I never heard back from the lot manager. I'm pretty sure I wasn't allowed to stay because of the fact that I work in a grocery store. COVID had just emerged on the scene at that time, and I'm sure, with the media ranting about grocery stores being a place where you were at more of a risk to get it, that they chose not to have me staying in their area.
And at another lot, I witnessed a female right outside the gate, go behind a car and pull her pants down and pee right there in the street. I said to myself, "no thanks".
You also have to sign up for work (even if you have a job); tell them all about your income and where you work, etc, etc, etc., in order to stay at one of those lots.
I, along with others, wish one of the people who have 'made it big' in van life on U-tube would start up some lots and the idea would spread all around the country. And more vanlife success stories would begin to open up lots as well. I've seen the net worth of some of these people shown online, and some have made nearly 1mil.
But we've already had that discussion here on the Forum and it began to get political so I will refrain from going on about it.
Thanks for the luck wish. I'll post whenever I can.

That's a tough way to launch, but I bet you will do great.
You may not feel the greatest right now, but there's a lot of adventure spirit already shining through in your post.
Good luck!
Thanks! Yeah, I can remember reading one of Bob's writings on when he first started out after the split at home. I think he thought he wasn't going to ever like living in his van : )

Well, last nite I was put out of the space I was in at an apt. So tomorrow, I will be starting my new journey as a stealth person
in San Diego. I had hunted down a few places to go i.e. a Walmart lot, and a lot between 2 hotels off the I-15fwy and Scripps Ranch.

Going 'out there' under these circumstances is not ideal. I suppose I will be learning a lot in the upcoming nites. One good thing is, I've
made black out curtains (i'm in an SUV), and my bed is adequate . . . just a few more adjustments. oh yeah, I've covered my windows in

Still troubled about bathroom problems. It will be a challenge. I have to work here in town for as long as I can, due to an excess of bills : (

Wish me luck! And I'll be working on getting back that good ol' sense of adventure that I had when I was younger! 🤗
DO NOT BE DOWN HEARTED.. LOOK AT IT AS AN ADVENTURE INSTEAD OF ONE OF LIFES SET BACKS…..get a membership at one of those gyms that charge 10 dollaraa month.. that will take care of yor toilet/bath needs… and in between find a large coffeemate canister… ( dump the cofeemate out to use later into aplastic bag ).. that will take care of your body fluids empty ing needs… find a large duffle bag to take your stuff into the gym and in the privacy of your own immediate space.. wash and clean and rinse whatever it is you need to wash and clean and rinse ….. this is just yor beginning…. ALONG THE WAY YOU WILL FIGURE OUT EASIER AND MORE EFFICENT WAYS TO DO THIS AND THAT…. And go on utude and watch all those who have already gone this path before you … AND BE THANKFUL YOU HAVE THE SAFTEY AND PRIVACY OF A CAR AND ARE NOT CAST OUT ON THE STREET LIKE SOOOOOOOO MANY OTHERS….GOD IS GOOD .. PRAY .. you will prevail!!!!!!

Some info on suddenly living in a vehicle

I had hunted down a few places to go i.e. a Walmart lot, and a lot between 2 hotels off the I-15fwy and Scripps Ranch.

stealth camping

I have to work here in town for as long as I can, due to an excess of bills 🤗

Having a workplace can be a real help: bathrooms, access to water, access to wall power to charge devices, access to freezer to rotate blue ice brick or water bottles for cooler, some workplaces have showers or underwrite gym fees.

You can do eet!

I've ended up houseless several times in my life due to circumstances beyond my control.
There are times I remember looking at the glowing amber windows of homes I walked past and being jealous of the cozy, warm homes.
There are other times I looked at the same types of homes and viewed them as people trapped in a heap of their own belongings.
You can look at your situation as a punishment or a liberation.
I try to think of it as liberation. I'll be someplace new nearly every day if I stay in one town.
(its a good policy not to loiter in one area with your vehicle too much, draws attention)
And I usually move on to a new town every week or so.
Not all of us have a fat retirement or influencer income to cover costs. But if you are careful (and stingy) it's not an expensive lifestyle.
As far as restrooms, I have long made use of Starbucks and other coffeeshops.
I try to look for laptop friendly coffee shops. They almost always will have bathroom access. Whereas a coffee bar type of place might just be cranking out lattes all day and not really want people to loiter longer than it takes to drink their beverage.
College campus areas are full of such cafes.

Years ago, when they first opened in San Diego I checked into them. They're "safe" if you want to be treated like a 'ward of the state'. They want a lot of information from you, just to stay in their lots, and they're VERY picky about who stays in the one in the nicer area. The Encinitas lot requires a special approval from the surrounding area residents. I 'auditioned' for one of the spaces, giving all of the required personal information they wanted, and I never heard back from the lot manager. I'm pretty sure I wasn't allowed to stay because of the fact that I work in a grocery store. COVID had just emerged on the scene at that time, and I'm sure, with the media ranting about grocery stores being a place where you were at more of a risk to get it, that they chose not to have me staying in their area.
And at another lot, I witnessed a female right outside the gate, go behind a car and pull her pants down and pee right there in the street. I said to myself, "no thanks".
You also have to sign up for work (even if you have a job); tell them all about your income and where you work, etc, etc, etc., in order to stay at one of those lots.
I, along with others, wish one of the people who have 'made it big' in van life on U-tube would start up some lots and the idea would spread all around the country. And more vanlife success stories would begin to open up lots as well. I've seen the net worth of some of these people shown online, and some have made nearly 1mil.
But we've already had that discussion here on the Forum and it began to get political so I will refrain from going on about it.
Sorry to hear that! Whatever you do, I hope you can satisfy at least the safety and security portions on Maslow's Hierarchy. Very important to have that covered before you can go on. I also read that many folks have joined those 24 hour gyms for the bath facilities and wifi and actually live in the parking lots. Planet Fitness is what? 10 bucks a month or something? I have no idea, we don't even have a gym IN my town!

Best of luck!

Hey there! Sometimes if you network at your job, you might find a co-worker that would be willing to let you park at his/her place if only on a temporary basis. I just came back to AZ from Siskiyou County in northern California and I was able to spend one month on her ranch. I ran a local ad on a FB group asking if anyone would be willing to allow me to park on their ranch and I got a really neat person who let me stay for two months. I did chores for him when he had COVID and I had full uninhibited access to his home for laundry, cooking, and showers. There are good people out there.

I really hope you get some good leads and I wonder if C/list would have anything as I used to troll them in Calli, for people looking to make some $ renting a place to park on their property or driveway. BUT Sandi as Calli is soooo over rated like probably want $800=1k +. Since your working in grocery, surely seems you could easily land another job especially now in a less expensive and overcrowded 5G'd area. These day's seems it is the workers market for opportunities especially in your field. Really wish you peace and good things ~

Thanks; curious . . .where have you traveled and stealth parked so far?
Well I've never stealth camped before, but I have traveled a lot to a few different states and to another country.

Good luck,stay safe and let us know how you adjust to it

Latest posts