Get comfortable

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why did ford stop making the econoline series of vehicles? The van on truck chassis line was an awesome vehicle with unlimited uses and configurations.

Like your rig eDJ, clean, simplistic and no doubt very efficient....

This is the rig showing the overhead shelving above the drivers compartment and bed. 
I'd use plastic bins to contain clothing & bath towels etc above the bed.  Under the bed
the same type of storage bins just for heavier items.   Above he driver,  probably cooking
utensils other misc items that aren't too heavy.

VanFloorplan3.jpg

But this is how my rig would be fitted out when I'm ready to roll.

Deal Breaker said:
Why did ford stop making the econoline series of vehicles? The van on truck chassis line was an awesome vehicle with unlimited uses and configurations.

Like your rig eDJ, clean, simplistic and no doubt very efficient....

To make way for the Transits and Eurostyle vans.

They do still make the E series cab and Chassis (see pic), just no more E series cargo vans.  So you have to put your own body on.

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 2
ganchan said:
I'm not really qualified to speak on this topic, since I haven't actually begin my "four-wheeled lifestyle" yet, but the phrase "for now" strikes me as an important one. No one vehicle does everything equally well, so as your lifestyle goals change, so will your rig. 

In my case, I plan to spend the first couple of years zipping all over the U.S. making business connections and finding new clients for my (freelance) career, which means lots of driving and days spent out and about instead of living in the vehicle all day. So for me, a minivan is probably the most sensible option -- like those "capsule hotels" Japanese people squeeze themselves into at night when they've missed the last bus home. I have a feeling this class of vehicle will also be easier for an inexperienced vandweller as far as maintenance, repair costs, parking, stealth boondocking etc.

Once I've done all the cross-country business building I can reasonably do, I may want to stay put most of the time. At that point, I'll scale up to a cargo or conversion van of some sort and park the thing on BLM land, etc. MPG won't be a big deal at that point, so I'll focus on comfort.

"For now." 

I've been really struggling with the decision-making process regarding a vehicle as my plan continues to morph into something completely different than what I was originally imagining. This was originally supposed to be a trip. Two months. Three max. But the more I think about it, the more I know I'm not going to want the "trip" to end. So then it becomes living/a lifestyle. A trip is a lot of miles in a short period of time, which is why I was so hung up on MPG. A lifestyle means taking it slow and easy and MPG doesn't really matter as much. Of course, there's the whole "overall cost of ownership" someone brought up earlier, so I still need to break free of that MPG thought process anyway. I'll take my trip (most likely in my current vehicle) and, if at the end of those two or three months I still feel this strong pull to make my house on four wheels, I'll look into a different vehicle.  

Sounds like we're looking for the same thing--"maintenance, repair costs, parking, stealth boondocking etc." All in a vehicle that can be managed by someone who's currently inexperienced with this lifestyle.

"I'm stuck in the movie Groundhog Day--which, incidently, is my least favorite movie of all time."

What???  That movie is excellent!  

"Did you want to talk about the weather or.. chitchat?"

IGBT said:
"I'm stuck in the movie Groundhog Day--which, incidently, is my least favorite movie of all time."

What???  That movie is excellent!  

"Did you want to talk about the weather or.. chitchat?"

I don't remember much about the movie since I saw it when it came out a billion years ago (I just remember that I hated it), but if I watched it again now, perhaps my assessment would be different! I'm older and (hopefully) wiser.

My life will be Groundhog Day until May...I think the same thing every morning. The only thing different about each day right now is the TV show I choose to watch after work...everything else is just a repetition of the day before, and the day before that!

DuneElliot said:
My life will be Groundhog Day until May...I think the same thing every morning. The only thing different about each day right now is the TV show I choose to watch after work...everything else is just a repetition of the day before, and the day before that!

Same!

Latest posts