Getting closer... though not by choice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CityWoman

Reaction score
Hi all,
I haven't posted here for quite some time because, well, life.  So, it looks like I may be closer to getting on the road, though it is only due to my crappy circumstances and not though deft and elaborate planning on my part.  [sigh]

I'm facing eviction from my apartment.  I've lived here a long, long time, but due to losing my F/T job and the sudden onset of some strange health issues, I've not been able to find F/T work nor do as many freelance jobs as I needed to - and so I am very behind on my rent.  I've also been very depressed about all this, and stressed, and some days it's been very difficult to get out of bed.

I have my date in Housing Court tomorrow morning and I really don't know what I can do.  Either I agree to a payment plan (and wonder how I'll meet it) or I request a postponement (and I'm not sure if they'll grant me one).  I'm hoping I can postpone.

I met with an attorney who gives free legal advice at a resource in my neighborhood (but he cannot represent me) and he didn't seem to have any other solutions.  All I know is, I might wind up having to give up my apartment within the next two months (his estimate, if I am evicted or can't meet the payment agreement).

I live in NYC - I do not have a vehicle to sleep in, and I'm broke as broke can be.  Plus, while I'm fine with selling much of my belongings, there is a fair bit of it that I want to keep or store.  The wrinkle in all this is that I am expecting some money to come to me, which would cover my rent arrears, but it is not coming sooner than three months from now.  So I do not know what kind of arrangement I can make to stay in my apartment until then, when I am not sure I'll be able to pay each month in the interim.  

I have been wanting to leave NYC anyway, but I've been going back and forth between wanting just to relocate somewhere less expensive and less stressful, or going nomad.  If I go nomad, I could use some of the money I am expecting to buy a vehicle and get it ready for the road.  BUT I've never bought a vehicle before and without my apartment as a place to stay while looking for something and then outfitting it, and taking refresher driving lessons and a basic mechanics course (part of my nomadding plans), things will be difficult.  I don't have lots of friends in my life, nor many relatives nearby, but I am trying to think of people I could possibly stay with.

So I need to downsize my belongings quickly.  I know that my stuff won't necessarily sell as quickly as I need it to - it's not like tons of people will be clamoring for what I have.  I've sold a few things already, so I've been able to keep my lights on and pay for my cell phone.  But, I just feel so so very stressed out and worried.  Every time I see someone sleeping in the street, I am terrified of winding up like that.

As of today, the odd health problems that suddenly popped up a few months ago have subsided to a degree - not completely gone but, physically, I'm feeling much better.  I do need to find a doctor who takes my insurance and find out what the hell is going on with my body (my PCP decided not to do Primary Care anymore), but for now I just hope things go my way in court tomorrow, so I get some extra time.  At least I will know in what direction I need to direct my efforts regarding my living situation. I hope things are not as dire and bleak as they seem.

Ugh.  Suggestions and encouragement welcome.

Oh, I forgot to mention... I had a convo with my sister today which made me feel even worse. She started raising her voice at me to say, "Living in a van is RIDICULOUS!" Nothing I could say would stop her from telling me it was a crap idea, and we hung up mad at each other.

Hi City Woman. Just so you know, things will get better. Sorry, that's crappy encouragement, you already know it will get better and I don't want to patronize you. So here's some (((Hugs)))...

Best of luck and I hope it all works out as quickly as it can.

Hi City Woman...

I'm so sorry for your problems at this time. Please stay strong and don't ever give up. Nothing lasts forever in this life so keep the faith that your problems will be solved in short order. May you be richly blessed....

When I get down, I think about traveling out west and seeing everything that I have not seen yet.

Reactions: Sky
You are likely going to be in a shelter soon. There may be better options available. Project specific Housing should work for you but they have wait lists. Being homeless moves you to the top of the list so get on those lists ASAP. Do food stamps and food banks. You should be eligible for some sort of minimal welfare, maybe under $200.

Strange health issues often have stress connections. Be strong and make sure your own head isn’t making things worse.

Went to court and agreed to a payment plan, which will be difficult for me to fulfill but gives me some time. I don't have to make the 1st payment until early April. So, now I have to hustle in a major way.

I'm familiar with the social services options in NYC. They treat applicants like me, obviously educated and intelligent among other things, like dirt. Last time I wasn't working, I went through the whole dehumanizing process and was denied. They said they couldn't help me with monetary assistance because I didn't have a job, which doesn't make any sense to me. I'll apply again this time, but I'm not hopeful. I'm focusing on selling stuff and finding work. And developing a back-up plan to have a place to stay and store my things if everything goes bad.

I want to leave this apartment so badly and either relocate or get on the road, but I want to do it on my terms and not because of an eviction. So, now I need to do my best to make sure I pay the back rent and not get kicked out.

Glad to hear, one step forward. Sent you a PM, in case you didn't see.

Hey there. If you are committed to relocating or going nomadic keep getting rid of stuff you don't need. At the same time you should put together things you do need. I suggest a back packing bag because they are easy to carry. Some people call these bug-out bags. Make sure you are strong enough to carry your bag for several hours at a time. Even though you are staying in the APT until April prepare for running into the similar problem. Your bug out bag should have a change of clothing, towel, hygiene supplies and basic tools like knife, fork, spoon, cup, bowl, can opener, pen, paper, phone/computer (chargers). If you have room and strength add a sleeping bag or change of sheets and blankets (it's cold in NY right now. I'm in "omitted city name" - Upstate to them city slickers :) If you still have strength add a basic camp stove and pot. A one person tent can be cheap and useful also. If you are getting out of your apartment and into a vehicle having basic bug-out setup can help make the transition better. Good luck.

Watch your timing closely on avoiding an actual eviction. Your court payment plan is likely a serious record as well. Saving money for a vehicle is easy in a shelter - though I imagine one out of the city would be preferable.

Another option would be to go to a "Buy Here, Pay Here" auto sales lot and pick out a decent running SUV or van (full size or mini). Pack it up with the stuff you need and hit the road after you sell all the rest of the stuff off. Do that while you still have a real address and set up payments online so you can pay them anywhere you go. Once you got the apartment all cleaned out then hit the dusty trail.

I’ve been in a very similar situation in the past. First off I think it’s important to separate out your problems and not try to solve all of them at once.

The most immediate is money, and second is apartment. If you can assuredly get a job in a week that will cover your rent, then do that, even if it’s a job you don’t want to do.

If not then it’s just a matter of time before you lose the apartment, right? (Assuming your payment plan doesn’t let you get to the money coming in.)

Secondly you have identification ed a pre-existing plan you want to follow— being nomadic. So the apartment isn’t your long term goal anyway, right?

So first off-if you can’t get that job in a week, start selling like mad. Sell everything, anything that isn’t irreplaceable.

There’s a lot of money locked up in the junk we keep around and even selling a things for $1-5 at a garage sale adds up.

I once sold a couple decades of accumulated junk and made thousands from just the under $5 items— 200 items at $5 each is a grand.

Secondly make plans- go stay with a friend outside NYC maybe? Some time to visit and take this money and look for a van?

You can camp with a very minimal van— and build it out over time.

But that only works if you have prospects for an income going forward or SS or disability.

You can fix up a van cheap over time with some income.

It might make sense to just go to the place that has the best jobs for your profession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful on the Buy Here Pay Here option. Many car lots are using GPS technology that won't allow you to go out of state until the balance is paid. Some will allow it if it's work related. Others don't care, once the warning goes through that they are out of the area it will shut down at the first pit stop made. Seen it happen.

At the moment I don't have much to add except that I am holding good thoughts for you and I KNOW that you are going to come out of this challenge in one piece and doing well. Look at all the others, known and unknown, who have been where you are, right here in this RV and online community.

I am in support of you going nomad sooner than later but that's only my humble opinion. I will write more to you in a PM because I am not comfortable giving out the more negative details of my life on a public forum - learned that the hard way!

I have health issues and money issues but you know what? I've seen RV YouTubers who have worse health problems and less money than I do so I refuse to complain or think negatively - for the most part, ha! Debra Dickinson started out in an empty box van with a sleeping bag on the floor, two dogs and some stuff, and look at where she is in less than 2 years!