Getting a Van- This One?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aspin231

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I started lurking on this forum recently as I have decided that van life is for me! I went and looked at a van yesterday and am wondering if she's the one.

Here's the ad-

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/rvs/4575051796.html

"Hello, my friends and I are selling our 1991 Dodge Ram cream-coloured camper van.

Her name is Billie and she is in great shape for an old van! Completely serviced in the fall, was stored for the winter, and gave her some love this summer too :).

This van is great for road trips or getting away to the woods or even camping out in the city!

She features:

GPS
Two fold-out double beds
Space (and seatbelts) for six
Table
Fridge (electric and propane)
Stove (propane)
Sink and Faucet (faucet not attached, probably fixable, never tried)
Heating (propane)
Lots of storage space
Great sound system with cd player, aux jack, loud speakers!
Bike rack (with space for three bikes)

She has 363,000 kms but has been well maintained through her whole life and is looking to break a million!

The heating system from the engine doesn't work, but we think it just needs to have the thermostat replaced.

If you are interested or have questions, please be in touch!

Price is $3600 negotiable."

Also, she passed a complete provincial inspection last summer when she was brought over from BC to QC, so she's pretty much guaranteed to be in good shape.

There's no faucet on the sink, but it seems that the part is available for around $30, and there's a suitable spot for a chemical toilet or bucket, whatever, near the back.

The outside is in good shape as well, no obvious rusting or damage.

What should I be looking for? I am welcome to go back and see her again, go for a test drive etc.

I'll attach some pictures from the ad.

Thanks in advance for any advice! Cheers.

Billie1.jpg

Billie2.jpg

Billie3.jpg

Attachments

• Billie1.jpg
    Billie1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Billie2.jpg
    Billie2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Billie3.jpg
    Billie3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 10
It's a lot of miles for a gasoline engine, although it could go many, many, more if it was taken care of over those 360k miles. That is just over 15,000 miles a year, and likely most were highway cruising miles (very easy on a car). If I really fell in love with it, I could see myself paying up to $2000, but I'd have to have some money set aside in preparation of a mechanical failure and/or an engine replacement in the coming few years.

With that said, a van with a history is something cool. You can tell this guy has seen the world... a few times. And for any van to make it that far down the road, it must have been taken care of (at least to some extent). And as I have said before, I'd be more concerned if it only had 36k then 360k... a car sitting still rots very fast. One in motion is always lubed, oiled changed, tuned up, etc.

It's been up for a while, try offering him $2000 and see if he is willing to go there. Otherwise, you have a lot of options in the $3600 range.

Have a mechanic check it out. Pay special attention to the suspension and the places that are rusting under it. The fact that the heater does not work and has not for a while tells me there is a $300 repair in the immediate future. No faucet is another $150 for parts in that system.

I have a 91, and love it.

In Canada those are actual Kilometers not miles. Just doing it quick in my head it comes out to about 210,000 U.S. miles.

It's high but not impossibly high. I'd expect some repairs on the engine soon if they haven't been fixed yet: alternator and started often go around 200,000. Transmission may be tired if it hasn't been rebuilt. Radiator has worked hard.

With that many miles you'll need an emergency repair fund.
Bob

Thanks for the responses, everyone!
Yes, I'm in Canada and the odomter is in kilometers. :)

I like the suggestions of where to have checked for rust, thank you.

How much in an emergency repair fund would you suggest?

Cheers.

aspin231 said:
Thanks for the responses, everyone!
Yes, I'm in Canada and the odomter is in kilometers. :)

I like the suggestions of where to have checked for rust, thank you.

How much in an emergency repair fund would you suggest?

Cheers.

I had to repair rust where water came in from the back doors. Look underneath by the rear wheel wells. Check out the shock mounts. Tap on any spot that has a rusty bubble. Look for body rot.

An emergency fund can be at least 1/2 of what you have invested in the van. A transmission can set you back about $1,500.

Can you do repairs yourself, or do you need a mechanic?

As far as if I can do repairs myself, it depends. My father is a mechanic, but I live on the other side of the country from him, haha. If I'm near him to get some scheduled repairs or maintenance, he'll do it for cost, but he can only advise from this distance.

My other option is to buy a van near my father and have him give it a full run-down before I schlep over and grab it.

As for this van, I'm going to take dear father's advice and take it for a decent test drive to get an idea of how it works. Try turning everything on and making sure it actually works, etc.

That said, I think it is priced too high, and don't think I'll take it unless the seller will come down to the $1500/$2000 range, regardless of how she drives!

Cheers everyone, I'll be around with oodles more questions I'm sure.