Geneology

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny flank

Reaction score
(Moving this from another thread where it was going far far offtopic)

So, genetics shows that the human species appeared in Africa about 200,000 years ago and that all humans alive today are descended from "Mitochondrial Eve", who lived in southern Africa. But there are zillions of pathways from her to each of us. What do you know about yours?

:)

2% neanderthal [emoji15]
98% Orangutang (guess that's where the red hair came from)

Me:

On my mother's side, I am descended from the Michelet family of France, one medieval member of which was a historian, and another of which was a physicist. Part of the Michelet family moved to the New World in 1740 from England, on a ship called the "Hope". They were Huguenots who left France because of periodic Catholic persecution. They settled in the colony of Pennsylvania, near a little Moravian town called Nazareth, and anglicized their name to "Mickley". One of these was John Jacob Mickley, who was the guy who took the Liberty Bell from Philadelphia to Allentown during the Revolutionary War (to prevent the Brits from capturing it).

On my father's side, I know much less. Family lore was that my grandfather came to the US as a Ukrainian orphan refugee from the 1905 Revolution in Russia. But I've not been able to find any documentation for that--and my grandfather was, alas, well-known as a bullshitter, so anything he says must be taken with a big rock of salt.

Cammalu said:
2% neanderthal [emoji15]
98% Orangutang (guess that's where the red hair came from)

I shudder to think how THAT happened.......

:p

It's a long written history passed down from the redhead side. The details are a bit embarrassing so I won't remark on them. ....

Needless to say some of you might think that the details ain't right

i'm rh- so no monkey gene here,i tend to go to water and swim,it seem most humans like water in fact you put a newborn in water and it swims like it is natural to do so,webbing between my fingers and toes,any other land mammals have nostrils that point down as to go through water?,is sternwake out surfing or climbing a tree?

i dont see a lot of monkey behavior from humans but do see a lot of fish,just saying

the one thing i do know is that science/archaeology and whatnot is as dogmatic as any religion.they have called their theory fact and are not going to budge,closed minded they be

Gary68 said:
i'm rh- so no monkey gene here,i tend to go to water and swim,it seem most humans like water in fact you put a newborn in water and it swims like it is natural to do so,webbing between my fingers and toes,any other land mammals have nostrils that point down as to go through water?,is sternwake out surfing or climbing a tree?  

i dont see a lot of monkey behavior from humans but do see a lot of fish,just saying

the one thing i do know is that science/archaeology and whatnot is as dogmatic as any religion.they have called their theory fact and are not going to budge,closed minded they be

Alas, the "Aquatic Ape" theory was discredited and disproved long ago.

The evidence for human evolution from primates is massive, overwhelming, and universal. No serious scientist rejects it. (Indeed the ONLY people who reject it are Christian fundamentalists and Muslim fundamentalists (they are, after all, the same bird with different feathers).

One can of course deny all that science if one wants to. That, after all, is what moon-landing deniers do.

let's see Orangutan and Monkey foot. makes perfect sense to me. just kidding. highdesertranger

See HDR? It all fits doesn't it? [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

science,the inquisition,same difference,agree or die,who cares about facts,thoughts are good enough as long as they are ours
they did laugh at Einstein after all

my pre u.s.a. parental lineage is easy scottish and scandinavian blue bloods,i can go to about 1000a.d. accurately and 500 a.d. on the viking side and a little farther on the gaelic side not so accurately

maternal,all english occupation names

post u.s.a,1720,they banged everything,so you name it i got it

My grandfather on my mothers side was from Corleone Sicily and came through Elis Island in 1908 at the age of 50.  He  and Grandma then had 16 children.  

My fathers side came from Scotland through Ireland 17 generations ago.  Pre revolutionary war.  

Family fights consisted of my father yelling in Galick and my mother waving her arms and going on in Sicilian. Quite entertaining for us kids.  

As for fish and monkey DNA I have not checked lately.  
If science says we came from the trees, I am not going to argue.  If the preacher believes differently....nope.

Gary68 said:

Hence my orangutang claim [emoji16]

or if you are like me they were both titled and horse thieves
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Reivers

"The Johnstones had a long feud with the Clan Moffat who were another Scottish border clan.[5] In 1557 the feud climaxed with murder of the Moffat chief, Robert Moffat.[5] The Johnstones then went on to burn the local church with the most important members of the Moffat family inside, slaughtering anyone who tried to escape.[5] The Clan Moffat was almost wiped out and seventy years later all of the Moffat's lands were passed to the Johnstones due to the Moffats having massive debts"

so you have to ask yourself"do you really want me to embrace my"culture"? or stick with U.S of A

Gary68 said:
science,the inquisition,same difference,agree or die,who cares about facts,thoughts are good enough as long as they are ours
they did laugh at Einstein after all

my pre u.s.a. parental lineage is easy scottish and scandinavian blue bloods,i can go to about 1000a.d. accurately and 500 a.d. on the viking side and a little farther on the gaelic side not so accurately

maternal,all english occupation names

This is true. science has the world hoodwinked in all kinds of stupid....we come from lesser life forms, carbon decay, computers, round earths.

its all non-sense

bardo said:
 all kinds of stupid....we come from lesser life forms, carbon decay, computers, round earths.

its all non-sense

Some kind of special.   That you are.

we have us a computer believer

what next, gravity?  :rolleyes:

Sticking to the topic...

I spent a number of years researching my genealogy, but got the furthest with my mother's side. Her father was German through and through. His family came from the Teufelsmoor region. Their surname is not very common, and very much connected to the town they lived in for generations. Cousins married cousins with the same name. A relative of mine contacted me and we were able to help each other fill in the blanks in our research, so I know my ancestry going back to the late 17th century with that line.

My mother's mother had Danish and African ancestry on both her maternal and paternal lines. One ggf was born in Denmark and was stationed in St. Croix when he was in the Danish Navy. At the time, the US Virgin Islands belonged to Denmark. In the Danish West Indies, even though there were slaves on the plantations, there was also a large community of Free Blacks who had to wear a strip of red and white fabric on their clothes to signify their free status. They were granted their freedom either by the owners or because their parents were Free. They could own property and businesses, and there was a lot of interracial marriage because the Danes were rather progressive in their attitudes about that. Anyway, my gggf married a Free mulatto woman and. I found the records of *her* ggm's manumission papers (with which the island's govenor granted her freedom) from about 1720, IIRC. That was exciting to find!

NnnnMy other gggf's family had a German surname but came from the Slesvig-Holstein area in Denmark, and that line had similar intermarrying in St. Croix.

The funny thing is, I never knew about my African ancestry until I was in my late 30s. My mother didn't even know. Both my German and Virgin Island ancestors came to the US in the late 1800s and lived in NYC, not far from where I live now, although I didn't grow up here.

Missed the edit window to add about my father...

My father's side was Italian and French on his father's side, and Irish, English, and German on his mother's side. All working class. His lines came over later than my mother's side, mostly early 20th century, and settled in NJ. His Italian side were quite successful making bricks, in a part of NJ where there was good clay for that. His Irish side didn't do too well for a long time, and one of his Irish ggm's ran a boarding house.

CityWoman said:
The funny thing is, I never knew about my African ancestry until I was in my late 30s. My mother didn't even know.

PBS has a series called "Finding Your Roots" where the investigators explore family trees for misc. guests. A couple of times it's been interesting to see the expressions on the faces of some of the family members when it's revealed that they have a black ancestor.

Another episode did Linda Chavez's tree and found that she had an Indian ancestor. She had stated that for her whole life she was, according to parents and grandparents, of 100% Spanish descent. Her expression was kind of interesting also. I at one time lived in northern NM and it was interesting (but appalling) to witness the local Hispanics insist they were 'Spanish" and not Indian at all. Even though they were conspicuously brown.

Since Indians were seen as heathen and uneducated, drunks,etc. they wanted to claim none of that.

BTW...nowadays I guess I really need to say American Indian.

Latest posts