GasBuddy for best gas prices

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelgianPup

Reaction score
I just want to make sure everyone knows about the GasBuddy website for checking on the best gas prices.

Just search "Gasbuddy, town, state". Understand that these prices are the CASH prices, not the debit or credit card prices, which maybe up to 50¢ more per gallon.

GasBuddy is a great resource but has some privacy issues. Here's a recent New York Times WireCutter article that talks about that and mentions some alternatives to GasBuddy -- none of which seem great for privacy, but we each have to decide for ourselves where to draw the line on that issue. Apparently there are settings you can adjust even in GasBuddy to make it a bit more private.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/ways-to-find-cheapest-gas/

The WireCutter articles don't seem to be behind the NYT paywall, but give a shout if you can't access.

It notes WAZE which is what I use. Here is the thing though, yeah they will likely collect a bit of information and make a few bucks but I understand that an app that is as handy as WAZE isn't going to be created and gave to me without the expectation of them making a few bucks.

It's a small price to be able to avoid where the police have set up radar. To be able to go around traffic tie ups because of construction or an accident and the noted, being able to find the cheapest gas. I save time and money (in may different ways) and they make a few bucks. Win/win.

It's always a trade-off between privacy and convenience. All you can do is make an educated choice and live with the consequences. (It may be more than a "bit" of information and a "few" bucks, though. You know what they say: if you're not paying for a product, you are the product.)