California no longer the highest price fuel in the nation (gasoline)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37446

Reaction score
By Matt Egan, CNN
Updated 9:33 AM EDT, Wed June 21, 2023

New YorkCNN —
“Drivers in the state of Washington are celebrating the official start of summer with an unwelcome sight: America’s most expensive gas prices.

The average cost of regular gasoline in Washington state has jumped by 32 cents over the past month to $4.93 a gallon, according to AAA. That’s 7 cents ahead of California, which is notorious for its high prices for everything, especially fuel.

It’s an unusual trend. California had held the unwanted title of America’s most expensive state for gas for roughly 95% of the time over the last few years, according to Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy.

Prior to the past few days, Washington has never been the most expensive state for gas in data going back to 2005, GasBuddy told CNN. It’s also the first time over that span that the Pacific Northwest state topped both California and Hawaii.

Even though Washington has the highest average price, gas stations near major California cities are still charging heavily for gas. Eight of the top 10 metro areas in America with the highest price at the pump are located in California, according to AAA.

Still, some drivers in Washington are paying well over $5 a gallon. In King County, where Seattle is located, the average for regular gas is $5.09 a gallon, according to AAA. Washington’s Skamania County averages $5.32 a gallon.

Washington state’s average gas price is nearly $2 a gallon above that of America’s cheapest state for fuel: Mississippi, where gas prices average $3.01 a gallon.” (End of copied portion of article)

Guess there are some advantages to the SE region. Current weather is not one of them though.

Actually that is not the most expensive. Gas is higher priced in Tusayan AZ. Regular gas is $5.39 per gallon. Only one station, no competition within 25 or so miles but a supply of customers going into The Grand Canyon National Park. But no long lines at that gas station! It is remote for fuel trucks to want to make the journey as there are no other stations around, Of course that is not the typical price for Arizona, it is usually at least a dollar a gallon or more lower when near the interstate highways.

Last edited:
Theres always someone willing to make a little extra…

Just filled up for $4.39 here in Socal. It's still a suckfest at the gas pump regardless.

Oregon has always had the cheapest gas prices on the west coast. No mystery - ehicle. Lthey have the lowest tax rate at the pump!
And the gas stations even have to pay a person to pump the gas into your vehicle. That provides a lot of jobs for older teens and 20s persons. A good first job opportunity.

Haven't had anything but self serve here in Socal in forever. Mixed feelings about that lol.

Do yourself a favor and stay out of WAwa State. This place is a chit hole in every respect. I'm really looking forward to leaving.

Do yourself a favor and stay out of WAwa State. This place is a chit hole in every respect. I'm really looking forward to leaving.
Love to... but grandchild number ten is due in August... I’ll be there...
My son was saying the state is imposing a carbon tax to the oil companies. So the costs are naturally going to be past on to the consumer... that’s how business works.
But you can bet your boots I’ll be filling in neighboring states. He lives close to the border of Oregon. I’m not a fan of the politics there, but it’s a beautiful state! I’ll be bringing some cedar boards to a canoe builder in northeastern Washington in a couple weeks or so... beautiful area. We just do the best we can to afford not just the fuel, but all our necessities. Meanwhile fuel costs are a bit more reasonable here at home. That will be hard to leave...

I am sorry life has been difficult for you in Washington state. I like the state myself and lived there 40 years. But the grey winters in Western WA are not compatible with solar energy for Van life.

Last edited:
Maki2, That's very true. Here we are in the middle of June, and we're finally getting 70° days. Last fall, the gray days started early.

Today July 4th, AAA says that Cali average $4.84, Wa average $4.98. Of course these are state averages, certain localities will differ.
Wa state continues to be #1.
https://gasprices.aaa.com/
They (AAA) have a neat map that can show county by county or city by city. Some Wa county called "Wakhiakum" is the state highest average at $5.37 (well as long as you don't take a ferry to the San Juan Islands, its $5.56 there.)

Watching the News & Weather this morning......they announced that West Virginia's average for a gallon of regular gss was $3.56. Below where I live about 20 miles is a Sheetz convenience store and I paid $2.86 a gallon for 88 octane which is 15% ethanol. (it is near the bridge that connects I 64 in WV to St Rt 52 in southern Ohio if anyone is traveling thru this area)

Below where I live about 20 miles is a Sheetz convenience store and I paid $2.86 a gallon for 88 octane which is 15% ethanol. (it is near the bridge that connects I 64 in WV to St Rt 52 in southern Ohio if anyone is traveling thru this area)
Wow, no Sheetz.

Not a single one in Socal. We have no Sheetz to give us low gas prices here. I can't even give a Sheetz a visit, as it'll cost to much in gas.

Ok, no more of this Sheetz. It's a bummer.

Watching the News & Weather this morning......they announced that West Virginia's average for a gallon of regular gss was $3.56. Below where I live about 20 miles is a Sheetz convenience store and I paid $2.86 a gallon for 88 octane which is 15% ethanol. (it is near the bridge that connects I 64 in WV to St Rt 52 in southern Ohio if anyone is traveling thru this area)
Nice for you, 88 octane with 15% ethanol isn't going to hurt your vehicle.

About time the residents of the tri state area got a break on gasoline prices as the refinery is on the Big Sandy River, lord knows how much pollution damage the air and water quality have suffered because of the industrialization that has occurred there over the last 100 years or so. 60 years ago I went swimming in the river where it runs into the Ohio river and my brown cut off pants came out a light shade of tan, almost white!

Last edited:
I just got home after a huge surprise down by Sheetz. As I crossed the Bridge that connects I 64 to Rt 52 there was a huge traffic back up.

I used the left lane to move up and cut thru the Hardee's Burger parking lot to use the alley way behind it. I wanted to see if the traffic was in front of Sheetz but it wasn't. I thought there may have been a wreck causing this.......but it was a run on Sheetz gas instead. They have priced it for today & today only at $1.77 a gallon. This price was for either the 87 or 88 octane gasoline. When I was driving thru the University district the Sheetz gas thre was $1.77 a gallon and the Diesel was priced at $3.74 a gallon. That location only has the 87 octane gas.

Today July 4th, AAA says that Cali average $4.84, Wa average $4.98. (well as long as you don't take a ferry to the San Juan Islands, its $5.56 there.)
Here in Japan it’s right at $6/gal. Of course I’m not using the current, artificially high exchange rate though. Using what I recall to be to be an average from values I us to file my US taxes each year.

Right now it’s 174¥/L. When I came here 30 years ago it was about 100¥/L, so a 70% over that long of a time doesn’t sound bad. But it actually started jumping up about 10-12 years ago. So the increase hasn’t been as much of a shock for the Japanese.

This photo of Sheetz posted today. This is of the downtown location near all the Federal Government Buildings & motor pool. Lines were blocks long for this 24 hour event. Gas $1.77.6, likely to be worth millions of $$$ in publicity if the accountants can claim it on the taxes in the 3rd fiscal quarter.

Sheetz 1.77.6.jpg