long time lurker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Reaction score
i am a caretaker on a private island in the lower FL keys.(14 years) the things i have learned about KEY WEST. 1st. Brads a great resource. 2 if you want to stealth camp, stay out of old town. if you want to stay over night, Marinas, your best bet is to pull up to an empty slip,you won't be bothered. there are lots of places, just use common sense.(i've had guys stay for weeks at a time, and they have never had a problem). the tire place by the SEARS store. out of state plates, no problem. i know people  who stay all  winter stealth camping. But if you make a nuisance of yourself you WILL have problems. 3 the bus system is real good. you can park at a central spot and go all over the place cheap. or you can walk. its a small place. if you can speak english you can get a job. KW sucks in the summer, 95 degs,95%hum. the library is top notch. the lib. has a take a book/ leave a book, and a bunch of other features. if you are EX military there are military camp grounds. don't know much about them. from what I'm told gasoline is about the same as most other places. but don't know for sure. food is more expensive, but if you get a winn dixie card you can get 5 cents a gallon off of Shell gas per $50.00 dollars, plus if you get the  right stuff you can get even more. example: i went to the store to buy supplies, i spent $768.00(I'm buying 15 weeks worth of food and stuff) and my boat driver got $2.95 cents a gallon off his gas.(i give them to him, because i can't use them). About me. when i leave here i am going to get a van and join the life. but right now i think i will be here for the foreseeable future. About the place  where i stay. its about 40 acres(14 useable) we have 2 kw solar, and 8,960 AH of rolls batteries. and 2/3500 watt outback inv/chargers i know its lopsided but since I'm the only one here 340 days a year the panels are like a giant battery tender. we  have a Watermaker WMQS 750 gallon per day desalination plant,and 2/ 5000 gal. water tanks, which we use to catch rain water,which i purify using the reverse osmosis side, its the best water you can get anywhere, absolutely the best, its what i will miss the most, by far when i leave. the van i will get will  be a chevy, between a 80 to a 99, C20/ 2500, 350 engine, will probably fly out west to buy. leary of fl. vehicles. i am paranoid/ obsessive about rust after living here, it looks like i will make my own high top. i have looked high and low, and i mean every where and can't find anything close to what i want,(fiberine is the closest ) but to high.  i want 10" flat but strong enough to support 3 185watt 12 volt panels. i have a buddy who's a boat builder and he said i could build one for about $900.00 total if i do the labor, no problem. a national/luna reefer, i know they are pricy but they are the only ones i CAN'T find a bad review on, all parts but the housing can be bought at any small appliance repair shop. i figure since i  will be using it for 15 years it will pay for its self .will go outback CC. well  thats about it for  now, regards, caretaker.

Welcome caretaker to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Hiya Caretaker and welcome to the forum. No idea of what some of what you wrote, but you seem great. Hope to hear more from ya soon and best of luck to you! :cool:

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

I've wondered about living on a Boat for some time now.   Having it based in my Domicile state when I get ready to hit the road and using it as a place to come back to.   We've had someone else from the West Coast who had been living as you have and was wanting to get a Van and travel the land awhile back too.  Perhaps having a Boat, a Van, and a Tiny off grid home may suit some people.

Welcome aboard caretaker !
Quite the set up you have ,,,and hope your mini version in a van will work as well for you.