Gardening and herbs on the go.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl1966

Reaction score
Yesterday I was revisiting something I'd read about how the old chuck wagon cooks planted herbs along the cattle drive routes. I was thinking of how adapting the idea for mobile living could be of benefit. Basically with a little homework figure out what to plant where based on how each herb grows best by geographical region. There's always a risk of losing what's planted, but I think I'll try anyways.<div><br></div><div>I won't be able to start this since I'm not out there yet. However if anyone else wants to partake and share in this little experiment, please feel free. I even gave some thought as to how we could easily ID the gardens as Omani. I've attached a modest example below.</div>

This is being done in various ways by some people. Guerilla gardening, food bombs, etc. I think we should really take it up and expand on it for vandwellers. I have always envisioned using hobo signs to facilitate the idea :)<div><br></div><div>Finisia Medrano (google the Tranny Granny) has been committed to this for some years, and has planted back many native plants for food. Has been arrested for the act, also. So familiarizing ourselves with laws (sheesh) would be important.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I have some good sources for native wild perrenials that I am planting here on the farm to augment the wild forage, for years eradicated as "weeds". Some are great survival foods like Miners Lettuce, which can be dug out from under early spring snows in that time between winter stores running out, and spring planting. It is the winter version of Purslane, or pigweed, and a delicious and healthy summer and fall forage.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I keep packets of these, and other "edible weeds" in my zombie apocalypse bag.&nbsp;</div>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Just tossing out an undeveloped thought; what about a garden in a car-top carrier? Clear lid...</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I'm not a gardener, but just a thought.</p>

Now that's a different idea. I like it! I have thought of doing the same in a hitch haul, or pulling a small trailer with a chicken coop, a goat, and container gardens......

<div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">I could see using a car top carrier if they weren't so expensive. The soft ones just won't work for obvious reasons which leaves us with the hard shells as the logical choice. A cursory check online shows used ones running around $300.&nbsp;</span><div style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><br></div><div style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">A more economical route might be sterilite containers. The upside is that everything is contained and you can cover it with a lid while traveling. The downside is that there's no drainage which is critical to plant survival. There's also the added challenge of keeping it alive after travel which isn't easy due to strain it puts on the plant. This doesn't take into account any laws that may prohibit the transportation of certain plants across state lines.&nbsp;</div><div style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><br></div><div style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">Unless someone has found a way around all this I don't know if a mobile garden is possible.</div></div>

É£-wave said:
Where would you start these garden patches?<br>Off the side of interstates? BLM land... campgrounds?
<div><br></div><div>I've been mulling this one over since I started this thread.<br><div><br></div><div>Campgrounds are out. Too much traffic and you could be violating law by planting something non-native there.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Side of interstates may or may not work depending on circumstances. The first question is how far off the side the road to plant, and second is if the conditions there are conducive to the plant's well being.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>BLM is the best bet. Using Quartzsite as an example there are areas where full timers congregate together, but there are also many areas where the camping is dispersed. An out of the way place in the dispersed area might do the trick.&nbsp;</div></div><div><br></div><div>There are many places that are out not technically camp grounds but are so far out of the way that no one cares if you spend a couple of nights to a week there. Places like this would work as well.</div><div><br></div><div>Now the other side of this is ubran gardens. This stands to benefit Vandwellers who remain anchored to cities. The challenges here are something that I'll leave to those who do this most. I'm not big on cities and would most likely just buy what I need from the local supermarket when I was there anyways.</div><div><br></div>

Watch out when harvesting something someone else planted in the national forest, some people defend it with guns.<br><br>A free permit is needed to harvest berries and mushrooms in Mt Hood National Forest, where I am now.&nbsp; <br><br><br>

blars said:
Watch out when harvesting something someone else planted in the national forest, some people defend it with guns.
<br><div><br></div><div>Are we talking about the same herbs? The ones I heard that were grown in natl forests and defended with guns have always been a little cartel'ish.</div><div><br></div>

&nbsp;What a cool idea! I think I'll try it. Maybe plant some watermelon or pumpkin seeds at some of the places where we boondock. Even if nobody is around to harvest them they might reseed themselves the next year.<br><br>&nbsp;Planting on the side of interstates might not work very well - too much traffic. One thing that I thought was interesting when we visited Newfoundland were the roadside gardens. Most people live along the shore (fisherman) where there isn't any good soil. All along the roadways are little gardens , mostly potatoes because of the climate. Everyone seems to respect the property of the other gardeners.<br>

Rich, what an amazing article.&nbsp; I've done a lot of square foot gardening, but that regrowing method would produce just about the amount of celery I actually use.&nbsp; Also loved the onion article.<br>

Zombie gnomes! Awesome!<br><br>I love this idea. I think the key is to only plant natives, and then learn about the native plants where ever you may be so you know what to harvest. <br><br>How is anyone going to catch you planting native plants? I mean, unless you're on your hands and knees with a trowel... Would it make more sense to just casually drop a handful of seeds here and there? Herb seeds are usually quite small...<br><br>I don't know if anyone would be open to sharing, but maybe we could have a thread for locations of these special gardens. If we all contributed, there shouldn't be any problems.<br>

<div>There is something else to consider. With enough people participating in this anyone arriving at a "known" garden site could provide follow up care and keep it going.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div>Presumably each person(s) starting out a garden site would be camped there long enough (2 weeks?) to see them take and stay rooted. Maybe?&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Honestly I see a lot of experimentation going on until we learn which plants grow best under which conditions in the wild. There are some plants that require constant care and supervision and we'd probably be best off just buying those at the market, but there are a lot that don't need any care at all.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>@Laughingwolf - There are enough edible native plants growing wild around the country that planting is almost unnecessary. Almost. Your idea of replanting is an excellent one because that makes it easier to harvest without having to go hunt for it.</div><div><br></div>

<p style="margin: 0px;">
A cursory check online shows used ones running around $300.<br>
</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Perhaps a used one? Darn - I just tossed one I hadn't used in 15 years. Scrappers picked it up and one of them&nbsp;put it to use. &nbsp;It had a crack in the lid but would have worked for the experiment.</p>

What veggies will grow anywhere and require the least amount of care? I'm thinking this would be a good candidate for the harder to grow areas. I haven't planted in ages and only ever planted a handful of veggies at that.<div><br><div><br></div></div>

Bumping this back to life ...<br /><br />I was talking with KTK&sup2; last night about this and thought I would share. Actually VanTrekker turned me onto them, and then learned a lot more after researching them.&nbsp;<br /><br />The Kohlrabi can be grown just about anywhere! This makes them perfect for the kind of guerilla gardening we've been discussing here. Now they do have a set of best conditions they grow in, but seem to be pretty hardy from what I'm reading about them.<br /><br />

Me too. I found a place in town that carries the purple ones. I'm still searching for the green ones. Can't wait to stew up something with them.<br /><br />

Unless someone has found a way around all this I don't know if a mobile garden is possible.
<br /><br />A large portion of my diet is sprouted food, so whenever I have to travel anywhere I just bring a bunch of sprouting jars and trays with me. I easily live on less then $5/day for food, and during summer many of my meals are free because I gather lots of weeds (wild greens).

I am bringing this back to life. I like the idea! I think perennial herbs like thyme, oregano, purslane and chives will grow anywhere without difficulty. Oregano can be invasive, however. <br><br>Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes and ground cherries will reseed and come back every year anywhere too, even in Ontario.&nbsp;<br><br>Winter squash and pumpkins are another one that will reseed in warmer climates.&nbsp;<br><br><br><br>

I have a self-watering planter like <a href="http://www.gardeners.com/Self-Watering-Patio-Planter/40-261VS,default,pd.html" rel="nofollow">this one</a>&nbsp;for growing herbs and other greens on my balcony. Mine has wheels. I was thinking of taking it along when I finally get a van. It could live outside while boondocking, and I could move it inside when I'm driving -- if I can figure out how to move it in and out without killing my back, that is... a makeshift ramp, perhaps.

Latest posts