What did you have to give up that you miss the most?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gardens and those wonderful fresh vegetables. It's hard to find a tomato that isn't store-bought when on the Road. I'm thinking about a little container garden. I think I can make it work - somehow.

Dingfelder you are a master gardener???? Care to let me pick your brain a bit? I don’t know if it would be allowed here though as gardening is off topic.. HDR?

I have tomatoes in the ground. Come by and get some.

What I miss when I’m out west thru the winter is the wildlife. Oh I know it’s there but not even close to what we have here in Kentucky. I miss watching the birds, squirrels, raccoons and possums coming in for food everyday. I miss seeing the deer and all the deer prints everywhere. I miss feeding the fish and turtles at my pond.

Other than that I guess I don’t miss anything, especially the humidity. I don’t miss being scratched all up from blackberry bushes reaching out to grab me as I mow either.

Cammalu, LOL you are not going to get in trouble for discussing gardening, but I would start a new thread. as far as wildlife out west you just need to be in the right spot. the area around Quartzsite is not a good area but a little south east is Kofa National Wildlife Refuge plenty of wild life. highdesertranger

Cammalu said:
Dingfelder you are a master gardener????  Care to let me pick your brain a bit?  I don’t know if it would be allowed here though as gardening is off topic..  HDR?

What I miss when I’m out west thru the winter is the wildlife. 
Yes, I am.  Haven't grown anything in more than two years because I had a night job, so I'm sure I'm rusty on lots of stuff, though.  I don't know what HDR means, but ask me whatever you like.

I see squirrels outside my trailer window every day, here in semi-rural Oregon.  Deer almost as much.  Rabbits pretty frequently.  Lots of little birds, some hawks, some vultures, lots of crows, swallows in their season.  Whole flocks of turkeys walk around here too, sometimes what looks like 20 at a time, though usually in smaller numbers.  Haven't heard the coyotes lately, but often I hear their crazy howls right up close in the night.  And heaven knows every day brings at least a couple of road kills to drive around.  We have lots of wildlife here.

LathrenJames said:
Gardens and those wonderful fresh vegetables. It's hard to find a tomato that isn't store-bought when on the Road. I'm thinking about a little container garden. I think I can make it work - somehow.

Tell us how it goes if you try it.  I'm only growing sprouts and a peppermint plant, and I'm having to double-purpose working surfaces in a clumsy way to do even that.

Theiznezz said:
I miss having a fully stocked kitchen

And all that disaster preparedness food.  In one of the videos, folks were having a contest to eat up all of the food in their vans.  I can't imagine being able to do that - mentally that is.  I always have to have something left in the food box. 
~ crofter