Full time living for family of 5 in Washington.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No free wood, or no fires allowed in huge portions of the country.

Woodsmoke is toxic.

But yes nice cozy feeling.

As opposed to the health benefits gained from fossil fuel smoke. Also, I'm sure you would find 1) while hundreds of thousands of acres have burned, it is not a huge percentage of the county comparatively; 2) the burn restrictions are/were directed toward open flames and not toward the use of wood stoves/boilers/etc. (unless it's your assertion the government is sytematically decreasing the population by not allowing those that heat with wood to freeze to death)' and 3) many/most of the burn restrictions are being lifted now that the weather/seasons have begun changing.

I'm talking about the usual restrictions in many government owned land areas where vandwellers usually boondock, nothing to do with any specific recent events or tinhat conspiracies.

And toxicity to you in your home and immediate neighbors more so than general pollution issues.

Do what you like, I love woodfires myself too, just pointing out downsides IMO worth investigating before jumping in.

Definitely another good argument for my side! We will be traveling a bit during the winter and haven’t really considered how hard that would be towing wise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rm.w/aview said:
Yeah, there's many options/ideas on skirting & insulating trailer basements as you may have already seen on youtube. The forum at rvnetwork.com may be helpful as well. I get what your husband has in mind on the TT vs 5er debate, but I also think that 30' and up is long for a TT but not so much for a 5er with the front over the truck bed. This may keep you out of some nice back-in sites with the woods behind you and force you to use pull-through sites, depending on where you go. If you're going to be stationary and live in the trailer on your land this is a non-issue of course, and perhaps a Park Model could be your home until you build.

Definitely another good argument for my side! We will be traveling a bit during the winter and haven’t really considered how hard that would be towing wise!

bardo said:
IDK about keeping a 5th wheel toy hauler warm but I imagine its not too difficult....at least not to rule it out. a heavy dividing blanket will likely suffice. the garage area is really no different than if it were living space. Im pretty sure they don't leave it uninsulated or anything. worst case scenario its 20-40lbs of extra propane a month. ($15-35)

I’ve heard that the floor of the back room isn’t insulated. Then again that might not be much of an issue if we had a skirt.

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
When I was (and occasionally still do) considering a toy hauler; I always pictured putting one of the small, marine type wood stoves in the "garage" portion. Most take almost no space (the cubic wood stoves can even be mounted on a wall), can kick out some real heat (especially those with gassifier features), and fuel is readily available as well as can be obtained for almost free depending on planning and/or camping/boondocking preferences.

I did research this before when we were just getting started. My husband and I both grew up with wood stoves and love the heat that gets down to your bones. I’m afraid that if I did modify it though it would make it harder to sell if/when we do decide to.

John61CT said:
I'm talking about the usual
And toxicity to you in your home and immediate neighbors more so than general pollution issues.

Do what you like, I love woodfires myself too, just pointing out downsides IMO worth investigating before jumping in.

90% of the houses where we plan to boondock are wood burning and we’re planning on (fingers crossed) actually owning the land so no worries there!

Homesteaddreams said:

Although I don't know the particulars about your Ram 3500, I can safely assume that it'll pull whatever you'll probably put behind it. A common view is that 5ers travel easier than TTs of comparable length due to point of attachment to the tow vehicle, one being in front of the axle the other behind. I also understand that the two most popular full time RVs of choice are Class A & 5ers, but this is not to discount the other choices, heck you can full time in a bivy. There are hitches on the market that'll be necessary for safe travel with the TT as you'll discover with your research, (the net makes this so much easier... I'm old enough to remember going to the library to do research). Be open to both, TT & 5er, and be honest in your assessments and you'll be happy with what you choose. Previously I referred to rvnetwork.com only because the forum is RV based, and a look at the sub-forums will reveal the popularity of each type of RV, but I do not mean to brush aside the forum here. This forum is invaluable and the folks here are amazing in their desire to help each other. I believe that you'll learn much and develop friendships in both.

Go as big as you can afford both in acquisition and running costs. The 3 kids need their space, and so do you.